Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Post Chattanooga / IM Florida

Coach,

I am doing Chattanooga this week and I signed up for Florida the first week in November. I wanted to know my post Chattanooga recovery plan and what workouts to load for Florida?

Thanks,

Eric

Comments

• Options

@Eric Hudson - I could be crazy, but I swear there’s like three of you doing this. If I wasn’t going insane with tapering I would be able to put all of these names together.

By all accounts it looks like you had a great race compared to prior performances. The most important thing to do right now is to recover really well for one week. That means taking off Monday through Wednesday. Thursday and Friday to be very short, easy, 30 minute bike ride even if they are just on the trainer. Saturday is a 90 minute ride. Sunday is a swim.

Then you can follow the remainder of the normal IRONMAN plan into Florida. Let me know once you have loaded that into final search, remembering that you need to do some fancy trickery to just get the final weeks to end on your race instead of the whole plan (see the help website for this: www.endurancenation.us/help). Once that is in your account I can help you.

Also note you should use the early part of this week to write up a brief Waze report and post of the forms so you can capture your lessons learned. There’s plenty of time to make changes before Florida!

• Options
    Coach,

I loaded Florida into Final Surge per your direction.

Also, I did pretty well until mile 80, and then I started to cramp a
    little. I think it was more from muscle fatigue rather than not being
    underhydrated because I was drinking almost two bottles per hour. I moved
    to Texas a month ago, and I wasn't able to train or run on any hills during
    my peak training. When I started to cramp on hills, I think I over hydrated
    with Infinite and it came back to get me on the run.

During the run, I had severe GI Issues "Diarrhea" and stomach cramps during
    the entire run. Therefore, I couldn't maintain a good pace. Once my GI
    issues subsided around mile 20, I was able to run. Matter of fact, I think
    I was only the only people running on the backside of Chattanooga for the
    last 6 miles.

At the end of the day, I still did a lot better than my half and the full
    in 2016.
  • Options

Eric -

Great info, thank you. Crampy like that during the race is usually a function of what you brought to the table. So likely those muscles are pretty tight to begin with, it’s probably something that you want to work on/rollout/stretch/get a massage as we head into Florida.

With regards to your stomach distress that’s a very common situation with infinIT especially depending how you use it. I personally use infinIT for serval years and quite often ran into the gut distress on the run until the very end when I had started to consume other fluids and things “freed up“ such that I could run again. Can you let me know if you’re concentrating infinIT? Or if you’re doing any modifications?

Also, why did you choose infinIT over using the Gatorade endurance on the course. In case you didn’t know, we strongly recommend using Gatorade endurance as the fluid part of your nutrition solution.

• Options
    Coach,

You are exactly right, I was super tight going into the race and I knew that. Therefore, I had 2 massages a couple of days before the race and even bought a massage stick from Ironman village.

I was primarily use “custom” infinite for the calories / protein because I lose so much weight and tend to bonk. My strategy for Chattanooga was to use Infinite for the 3 bottles and then use Gatorade Endurance for the last 3 so I didn't have to stop to reconstitute. I felt the first cramp as we started to climb on the first loop and that’s when I went into probably over hydrating with Infinite.

I did use Gatorade Endurance and Base Salt on the course and had “manageable” cramps during the run.

Thoughts??

Eric

Sent from my iPad
  • Options

I prefer that you use the Gatorade endurance as it usually has sufficient calories. I believe it’s something like 190 cal per bottle, so if you drink one and a half bottles per hour, which is moderate, you are taking in close to 300 cal. That plus food is more than sufficient.

I have found that the caloric content of infinite, especially when consumed on race day, often proves too much for most people stomachs. It’s a great training tool but not for race day. If you haven’t already, I suggest you go back to the Nutrition) Calculator and do the math on the calories you think you need using Gatorade endurance and either gels or power bars or something similar. If you want to write that up I’m happy to do the math for you.

• Options
    Thanks and I'll try Gatorade Endurance.

Eric
  • Options

Eric - My favorite part about using Gatorade is that you can drink more or less as you need and you’re got will typically resolve itself pretty quickly.

It’s the concentration of the fluid itself that becomes critical in terms of rate of absorption later in the day.

It’s also important to note that typically fall racing in Florida is not that hot so it should be less stress on your body from the flu requirement standpoint. Hopefully you can practice with Gatorade this weekend.

• Options
    Thanks and I am now doing Cozumel.

Also, I was granted a transfer to Texas for next year.

Eric.
  • Options

@Eric Hudson - Got it! You are not the only one, I know we have at least one or two other athletes going. You can check the race DataBase: to see who else will be in there, I think the link is under the community tab.

Changing the cows an hour means you’ve got one or two more key workouts to do. If you were satisfied with your training volume then we don’t need to have you do anymore rAce sim wkos. We can transition you two more half Iron Man style workouts with intervals in the 85 to 90% range with a recovery on the weekend. The other we can ride would just be easy for 3 to 4 hours and there are bars. I would keep up the midweek intensity on the bike and the run frequency with your last run aiming to be about 90 minutes long at 10 days out.

The key element to Racing in Mexico is that they typically use normal Gatorade versus Gatorade endurance which can be an issue. Rather than relying on the Gatorade I recommend you set up a system where you carry a concentrated bottle with you of Gatorade solution on your bike. Then you use your front hydration bottle as a mixing pot, pouring water in there from the aid stations and spiking it with your GE concentrate.

Basically I know I need two bottles an hour and so I need to plan on 10 bottles. I can carry three bottles of premixed get a read on my frame already so I only needed a concentrated solution that could carry seven total bottles. I put 7×2 1/2 scoops of Gatorade, or 17.5 scoops of Gatorade into a single bottle and mix it up and then Drew 7 individual lines on the side of the bottle so I can make sure I was using the right amount.

Also we have to plan for the wind etc. but you could read about in the race report section in the master race and page were Cozumel. Please check it out and let me know what you’re thinking/send me a race plan.

• Options
    Coach,

I hope all is well with you,

I am here in Cozumel and I wanted to see if you can send me my training
    schedule as soon as possible so I can upload it into Final Surge. Also, I
    moved to Texas from Georiga so I don't have very many hills to train on as
    I did in Atlanta.

I wanted to take a couple of weeks off before I start training for Texas.
    Additionally, I am signed up for boulder as well in June and I was
    thinking I need to do the bike focus training to prepare me for Boulder.

Thanks,

Eric
  • Options
    Actually, I was thinking I would like to start back in January since I have taken a break since Chattanooga.

See previous email.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

@Eric Hudson - sorry for the delay on this. I can get to your season right away, just please confirm that you submitted your races online using our season planning tool here: http://bit.ly/yourraces

Doing so not only puts you on my list of people to help, it also helps us track who’s doing what races so we can support you as the event gets closer.

Can you please take a minute to either submit to Races there or to confirm with me here but you already did that and I can get to work on your season right away.

• Options
    Coach,

I just submitted my races in the system.

Eric
  • Options

On it all today! ~ Coach P

• Options
    Outstanding and I updated my race schedule for next year.

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

Coach on December 3rd, you said you were going to send my training plan for IMTX and IM Boulder. Per previous discussions, I just finished IM Cozumel. for the most part, I have taken it easy over the last 3 weeks and just working out like "normal" people. I assume, I should be starting this week or next week.

• Options

, I thought I did. Let me go check again. You should be in the run durability program right now.

This discussion has been closed.