Home Announcements 🎙
Options

Head unit and GPS watch Recommendations

Hi,

Per some diagnostics with Garmin, it appears that my trusty Garmin Edge 500 head unit and Garmin 920XT GPS watch are slowly fading away. Below are what I'm considering in their place and I'd be interested to know of any thoughts, feedback, guidance on the options:

Head unit - I am starting to explore either the Garmin 520 Plus or the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

Functionality and battery life between the two appears to be essentially the same, but I've laid out some quick pros/ cons. Please let me know your thoughts.

Garmin Pros: I have been in the Garmin "ecosystem" for a long time; I know and am comfortable with their head units.

Garmin Cons: Page setup on device is a pain, but isn't a frequent issue

Wahoo Pros: Head unit and phone-based app appear to be very intuitive and easy to learn; I'm considering getting a KICKR 18 and being able to load a course and have head unit control trainer could be nice (does anyone know if Garmin can control a KICKR in same way); might be nice to break free from Garmin?

Wahoo Cons: New system to learn; does Garmin HR strap connect to head unit (see GPS watch comments below)

GPS watch - I am starting to explore either the Garmin 935 or the Polar V

I have really liked my 920 and have heard great things from my friends who have the 935 and was only considering that until Polar came out with their new watch. If you have used the 935 for some time, are their issues I should consider? Please let me know your thoughts.

Garmin Pros: As above, I have been in the Garmin "ecosystem" for a long time; I know and am comfortable with their GPS watches; Garmin will offer a trade-in on my 920 and give a discount towardsthe 935

Garmin Cons: My 920 started to fail after only three years, could I experience same with 935?

Polar: I do not know anything about Polar products as I've never explored. I am aware of their history in the sport and any insights would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Best,

Jeff

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I've been in the Garmin Ecosystem for ~8 years and it just works... And I have all of my data in one place (even moreso than my Strava and Trainingpeaks).

I was VERY tempted to buy a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt just before IMWisconsin. I've been told that the BestBikeSplit in ride data pop-ups are simply better on the Bolt. Most people who switch to the bolt are very happy with them. I currently use the Garmin 520 (previously I had the 500 and 510). The 520 is the best Garmin head unit I've had and really have no complaints. AWESOME battery life (it lasted my entire ~14 hour ride in Aspen with Power data and HR data). It was absolutely simple for me to setup the pages on Garmin, so don't know where you heard that. Either the Garmin or the Wahoo will get readings from any ANT+ HR strap (and I think also from any bluetooth HR strap). I don't know about controlling the KICKR (maybe consult DCRainmaker)

I use the Garmin 935. (previously used the 305, 310, 910, and 920). The 935 is their BEST watch so far. If you're trying to save $$, just buy another 920. But once I started using my 935, I won't go back. I used to wear a Rolex to work every single day, and now I just wear my Garmin 935, 24/7 and my Rolex is in the safe to someday give to my kids... Recently, the 935 had a bad Firmware update that made it lose the ability to track OW swim distances, but I'm assuming they've fixed it by now with another release (mine worked flawlessly for that for ~1.5 yrs before it wigged out. People have had mixed results with the wrist based HRM on the 935 (there's a thread in EN on that). It sucked for me, so I wear the strap (I actually bought a Wahoo strap when my Garmin one died). I would NOT expect any piece of technology (i.e. a GPS watch that speaks wirelessly to all kinds of different devices - including satellites that are ~12,500 miles up in the air) to last more than 3 yrs... We simply put them through too much abuse and the things they are supposed to talk to innovate to quickly.

I don't know anything about the Polar V... In almost all previous Polar models, they weren't compatible with other opensource ANT+ signals so they wouldn't talk to any other devices or HR straps that weren't proprietary Polar stuff. You should check DCRainmaker to see if they changed that or not. That would be a non-starter for me.

If I were starting from scratch and buying 2 new devices, the 935 is a no brainer (95/5 versus any other sports watch). For the bike head unit I'd probably buy the Bolt, but it would be more like a 52/48 vote in my head. I think it would be more like 75/25 if I were giving the same advice to someone who never used a Garmin device before and was truly starting from scratch (but for myself, my deep Garmin history "with their ecosystem" as you say it, holds a decent amount of weight).

As an aside, it's interesting that Garmin recently started discounting the 935. They usually do this a few months before they launch a new product. 945 anyone?

• Options

Hi John,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I am basically sold on the 935.

I will continue to learn more about the Bolt and 520, but like you, my workout history with Garmin likely pushes me in that direction. My comment on the screen set up Garmin is based on my Edge 500 experience of having to go into each screen and scroll through the data fields you want vs. the Bolt where it is done via their app on your phone and it quickly syncing over.

As an aside, I see you live in Orono. I'm just a little east of you in Hopkins, MN.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Options

my Garmin 520 dropped off my road bike and was run over by a car 2 days before I left for IMKY a year ago. I bought the Elmnt bolt and haven't looked back. hands down better than the Garmin once you get used to it. the initial screen and lap screen are different so when i start a ride I immediately hit the lap button and move on to that screen.

I have all the same data as my garmin, everything flows to my apps on the web, TP, Strava & yes, even garmin connect! (this may be through tapirik?)

what I like? Changing screens using my phone. the mapping is top notch. I create my routes in Ride with GPS (i like it better than strava's routing program) and just sync on a wifi that I've connected the unit to and voila, easy to follow maps. the only thing i warn you on is that you can't connect to Wifi's like in hotels where you have a splash password page on a browser. You can work around it by using a USB cable, downloading your route from software to PC and then dropping it into the routes folder on the Elmnt.

i would look at the Elmnt & the Elmnt bolt in person before deciding, I might actually move to the bigger screen, though the bolt has the same size as a 520. DC Rainmaker did do a comparison of these two units.

The only place you lose out on is if you are buying into the garmin ecosystem for varia radar lights and such as this clearly won't work with those..

as for a watch, I have a Garmin 920XT and a fenix 3. I only use the fenix for skiing, can't find anything the 920xt doesn't.

• Options

I have the Wahoo Elemnt and love it. It's slightly bigger than the Bolt and easier on an old man's eyes :).

I also have a Garmin 935. All my swim/bike/run data goes into my 935 and uploads to GC and then off to TP, Strava, and WKO. I look at the data on the Elemnt when I ride but never upload it unless my 935 has a problem.

I use the Elemnt to control my Kickr. I also upload gps ride files to it if I'm looking for a new route. It pairs easily with my Wahoo Tickr, Cadence sensor, Humon Hex, P1 pedals and anything else I could throw at it.

• Options

Scott and Tom,

Thanks for your insights on Wahoo. I'll continue to do more research!

Thanks,

Jeff

• Options

@Jeff Phillips Wow! Small world! I actually work in Hopkins (in the Cargill building near the intersection of 169 and Excelsior Blvd.). Let me know if you want to meet up and grab Lunch sometime!

• Options

@JohnWithrow

I live within a mile of that building and run/ bike by there frequently. I'd be happy to meet up for lunch sometime.

You can email me at jphil97@yahoo.com which may be easier than going through the forums.

• Options

@Jeff Phillips

I just bought the Garmin Edge 520 Plus. I haven't set it up yet. I plan to use it with my 920 until it goes and then get the 935. I'm sticking with Garmin because it's what I know. I did have the Kicker BT heart rate strap and thought it was too big so I sent it back.

Glad WSM @John Withrow votes for Garmin.

• Options

@John Withrow

I live within a mile of that building and run/ bike by there frequently. I'd be happy to meet up for lunch sometime.

You can email me at jphil97@yahoo.com which may be easier than going through the forums.

• Options

Thank you @scott dinhofer and @Tom Glynn and @Sheila Leard and @John Withrow for your comments and experiences. Very useful!

• Options

If you are looking for a used 520, let me know. I have one that I don't use anymore.

• Options

For me, I'd stick with Garmin, out of forever-loyalty and for ease of use (now that I know how to use them. haha).

I currently run a 510 for my dedicated bike(s) computer and a 920 for swim/run.

I would LOVE for Garmin to design a computer or app-based "design" tool, which allows you to create the multiple fields, screens, etc, for any of their devices, and simply update the display via a push to the garmin.

• Options

Thanks @Francis Picard . What year is your 520 and how much would you want?