Homeโ€บ Coach*EN ๐Ÿ”’
Options

Will Pither Official Coach Thread 2019 Season

edited October 8, 2018 2:45PM in Coach*EN ๐Ÿ”’

@Will Pither -

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

I am really excited to see you come over to multisport from "just" running. I think you will find the variety of training will not only take the pressure off your achilles, but will enable you to actually do more training (aka get fitter) without the "cost" of focusing on the run.

The key for you and I is working in some of those cross training activities to make sure you are in a good place. The plans I have outlined for you (below, and in Final Surge) don't have a ton of swim and bike in them as your early races are more run focused.

Here's what I need to know from you:

1. How many miles a week are you "ok" to run?
  2. Do you have any "rules" like no back to back days of running? Or "X" days off per week?
  3. What are you doing now for self-care with your achilles?

Your Races

• ย 11/15/18 (Running) Derby 10, UK
  • ย 04/07/19 Greater Manchester Marathon, UK

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on October 5, 2018

• 10/1/2018 Load the Intermediate Ten Miler Plan to end on 11/25/2018
  • 11/26/2018 Load the -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 12/9/2018
  • 12/10/2018 Load the -- Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end onย 4/7/2019
  • 4/8/2019 Load the -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 4/21/2019

Your Notes

I have only one triathlon experience, so not much to go on here. However, have been a runner for the past two and a half years getting to 3:50 marathon and 1:48 half marathon. My last marathon was Berlin at a steady paced 4:20, I was under cooked and slightly injured so decided to relax on the run...No time & No Pressure Just run.

The past few months have been a struggle with an Achilles issue, which I have had treatment for, but during the treatment I picked up swimming and cycling to take the pressure off. Finding these fun decided to sign up for some Long Course races next year.I normally run 3/4 times per week, probably a little slow (consious of Achilles issue). Cycle 1/2 times per week, I did cycle before running so this is an old habit. Swim 2/3 times per week.

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gapย and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.ย 

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    edited October 11, 2018 8:16PM

@Coach Patrick

1. How many miles a week are you "ok" to run? In my marathon build up I was running 40/50 miles per week. This was probably my maximum, though.
    2. Do you have any "rules" like no back to back days of running? Or "X" days off per week? I have been developing some rules with the family. Generally, big sessions...I would say pool swim on Monday, cycle on Saturday Morning and Sunday Long Run (or race). As a family we do Parkrun on Saturday mornings so would have to cycle before and after. Thursdays are club social nights 8/9 miles at 8:30/9:00 pace.
    3. What are you doing now for self-care with your achilles? I do heel drops, use a roller, cold and massage. Generally every month I have a sports massage, as the key race gets closer I have one a fortnight. I aggravated it by running in zero drop shoes, have switched to more normal drop shoes now. I revolve 2/3 pairs of shoes for the runs.

Will

PS: On the call with Brenda, we noted that the I hadn't got the two triathlons I've booked for next year.

07/29/2019 - Outlaw Nottingham (Full distance triathlon)

07/07/2019 - Half Outlaw Holkham (70.3 distance) I'm running this with my wife so plan to be chilled and treat as training race.

• Options

@Will Pither -

1. Ok to run miles are based off of last year's average Weekly mileage (good number to look at). Normally this is between 20 and 30 miles, starting off conservatively and moving up from there.
    2. No rules like that, as even a 1 mile run would "count". Remember we really only care about FREQUENCY so I'd prefer 7 runs to 4 runs a week. The "start of each run" really matters...so more "starts" = better. We can totally work around with the family and your plan. If you need to move the Thursday rides to another day to account for Thursday night, we can do that. Same with Saturday. That's what we're here for.
    3. Sounds like you are right on the protocols for self care. I think that your next step might be to address your daily footwear and how that impacts your achilles (work shoes, etc). Also, how are you caring for your Calf / Hamstring. It's all connected, so making sure you have mobility up the kinetic chain also matters.
    4. We can add those other races as you go...not sure if you are still active here, so I'll wait to hear from you!

~ Coach P