Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Josh's 2018 IMCHOO Race Report

edited October 8, 2018 6:06PM in Races & Places 🏁⛺

This was IM number 4, third time at CHOO. This was my only race for this year. I did BRC, awesome you should do it too, and trained a lot. Thankfully I enjoy the process of trading and the build up to race prep, so no burnout. Had high CTL(136) but I know this is not a predictor of race day performance, so it’s just a number saying I worked hard for this day. Had some high hopes for this race and it turned out ok but I was looking to break 4 hrs on the run and it just wasn’t the day to do so. Overall I felt a little out of control with my heart rate most of the day and that’s what I battled, trying to keep it down but bike to my potential which I think I came closer than last year. Still longing for a better run, makes me hungry for next year!

I through this together pretty quickly so hope I covered everything.

Race time: 9:26:00- Bike 5:23:55, T2 2:00, Run 4:00:05

Race Week

Nothing different from past race weeks. Pretty much the exact same. Had really good sleep and good short workouts early in the week. Carb load and salt load like previous races so I felt confident and ready the night before the race.

Also, swim was canceled, nasty water and flood level waters. No big deal it’s the race I was dealt, less transition bags and I slept later on race day.

Race Day

Up at 445 and ate normal pre-race apple sauce, banana, honey, and naked smoothie nothing new. Got dressed and Infinit ready headed to transition fluid on bike, tired pumped up. Hung out with my wife for a bit then jogged to get warmed up from 8-8:10am and I started bike at 8:30.

Bike

http://tpks.ws/P7SGXSBEQAPSW4RHXFSJA5WIIU

With the swim cancelled it was a time trial start. Kinda neat, hoping that’s the only one I’ll have to do. Rolled up to the line and went on the third beep. The course was very crowded and couldn’t settle in, on and off the gas. Battled HR from the start, I did a warm up jog before and got HR up felt good but my first twenty minutes average was 5 beats higher than expected. This was with a low power avg also, I don’t think i was pushing too hard. Anyways, I had 2hrs Infinit, Skipped 1st aid station, Second one was on an uphill so I took water and doused myself and tossed it. Finally settled in between mile 20-30, athletes were spaced out slightly better and allowed me to stay aero with steady power.  Turn around was very tight compared to training on the course. They blocked off half the road so I couldn’t get a good angle on the corner. Stayed steady after hog jowl turn around, passing some people and keeping momentum on the undulating hills. Back to my heart HR, it settled at an average of 142 at the hog jowl turn and was up to 144 average at the start of the second loop.I just went with it and let it recover on downhills and while peeing. Yes I peed a lot which is normal if I’m on track with fueling (1.5 bottles hr, 1 salt pill hr, and 3 shot blocks an hr). Got a little crowded at the start of second loop. Tried to stay out of trouble, I didn’t want a penalty for no reason. Pretty much by myself from mile 70-90 just a couple people around I think. I felt great and I didn’t even crave my double espresso Clif shot at mile 85. I usually reach for it when I start losing focus and my mind starts wondering. The only reason I remembered it because I felt it in my pocket while getting a salt pill, so I was like oh yea let’s take that now. Got a little crowded from 100-116. The first half of the second loop HR avg 145 and from the hog jowl turn back to the stick leading into town it was 149! I knew I was pushing my luck let power drop from 182 to an average of 167 for the 10 Miles into transition. Caught Mike Roberts around mile 110 and just stuck with him. I knew I was in a good spot as he usually has a good bike split. The question was did I have enough heart beats left for a decent run?  

Side note: I ran off the road at the tight turn around at hog jowl i mentioned earlier, no damage just a little too fast through the tight 180. I had to jump off and reset my wheel due to brake rubbing but it only took 30 secs and i was back moving.

T2

Hopped off at T2 flying and kept running. I met my goal of 2:00 transition but only managed 6th in AG, disappointing.

Run

http://tpks.ws/SURA2LMJHNKLB3IFORSRVGOPIM

HR was in a little better shape for a short time. I kept it out of the 150s for the first 6 but with an average of 148 that’s about 4-5 beats high. Mike was right behind and I was happy to run with him and was a major boost to have him there. We both got ice and Gatorade at aid stations. Took a gel when Mike did 5 and again later 8 or 10?? But Didn’t walk too much at aid stations on the first loop. Saw Jeff Horn when we jumped onto the river walk and this was when I felt it was just plain hot out. Since the run course change we avoided a short very steep hill but was given an exposed four lane with a long gradual uphill. We both thought it was good for us as the field would suffer on that highway. At this point we jumped back onto the original route and Amber told me I sat in 16th place. I was a little let down as I wanted to be 15th or better, but I had hope as the day wasn’t over. I averaged 149 hr at 9:09 mile for the first 8.5 miles. Mike and I passed Dawn Cass on our way across veterans bridge and we hit Barton for the first trip up. Hr avg 158 on the climb and back down to 150 running down the back side. I know those aren’t good number that early in the run but I was feeling ok. Down the other side we managed to get HR down again but the next section, hixon rd and through the neighborhood/golf course was tougher than I remembered. HR settled at 153 through this 2 mile section. It did provide some shade but it was just up and down hill with a short flat section before hitting Barton hill again. Backside of Barton was just a repeat of the front, HR up then dropped down the other side. Then hit an aid start ion and onto the wooden pedestrian bridge, that thing is a beast as more than half of it is up hill. Now we started our second loop. I continued ice with race saver bag, GE at aid stations and one salt pill an hr. Feeling fine gut wise and no real suffering yet. Noticed Mike just didn’t seem right and at mile 15 aid station he waved, I waved and now I figured it was time to prepare to suffer in just a few miles. I picked up the pace a little and let hr rise more during the flatter section of the course. Was that a good idea, I wasn’t sure but I didn’t want to play it safe in this race. From mile 15-20 I avg 8:57 with HR 163, FYI 160 is when I start feeling like I’m working. Then it was time for the hills, up Barton take a left on Hixson, turn right and short hill into the neighborhood, around the golf course and one more aid station. This section was tough HR avg was 161 and pace 9:12. I did a little extra walking on the short hill going into the neighborhood, COME ON, so weak! Got running again and thankfully Stephanie Weldon yelled at me, I didn’t even realize I was near her. She said looking good, I said thanks and was close to walking 10 seconds later and she yelled again DON’T SLOW DOWN! Thank you Stephanie, I didn’t walk except a few steps at the aid station. Going up the backside of Barton the last time sucked I pushed hard to keep a steady jog up and let what I had left go down the frontside heading to the pedestrian bridge. I managed a 165 avg HR and 8:33 pace up the backside of Barton to the finish line. I would say the suck started at mile 16. Maybe I started a little early but this is what I wanted, what is it like to not play it safe later in the run.

Overall I’m happy with the experience I got from the race, not as much with the results. Like I said before I really wanted 15th or better but I feel like I did everything I could without blowing up too soon. My age group must have managed the heat better than myself and a lot of them had great runs. I finished 17th AG, 109 overall. But I’ll forget about results and the knowledge I gained from racing will stay with me and help me next season.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Josh Church it was good hanging out with you and Amber and a lot of fun to follow you and Mike around the course. As a spectator it was so much hotter than I thought it would be. I know you guys were struggling to reign in the heart rate. Great steady effort on the run though.

• Options

Thanks @Jeff Horn and it was good it meet face to face. Go dominate IMLou, race smart.

• Options

Congrats on a steamy and FAST finish! Not an easy thing to push in the later miles of IM. Congrats on that too! Recover hard, and I'm sure you will take that success of pushing late on the run to a sub 4:00 and better placing in your ag. :D

• Options

Congrats @Josh Church ! I was in Chattanooga supporting a friend and the heat and humidity were intense on race day. Not even a slight breeze for some cooling over the bridges. Way to push through on the run.

• Options

Josh, great racing with you, as always. The 186NP you put on the bike is a ton for someone in the 140’s. That’ gotta be in the 2.8w/kg range, which is approaching elite. We’re the same size, I rode 171NP and was a few minutes slower. I honestly think I would ride that course at sub-5:10 at 186, so I think there are speed gains for you, whether it be position, wheels, helmet, etc. The only cares about time, not watts, so maximizing speed/w is key

You thought the run was hot? Hmmm. We ran the first half in 2hrs, so you either even or negative split the run. Again. IMO, that’s absolute proof positive you left something on the table the first 13-16. I think you need to dial in your race HR - whether it’s the tested top of your Z2, 10-15 beats higher than avg bike HR, the avg of your last 8 long runs, etc. Then trust it. If it’s 160, that’s it. Don’t run the first 6 - or worse - first 16 at 153. After you get HR down into the 150’s in the first mile or two, find your legs and fuel a bit, go race. 160 is your number until 18-22 when you can elevate it for the final push. With a 50 vDot, you’ve got a 3:4x just waiting to be unleashed.

Congrats on a gritty performance on a brutal day. You made me look like a novice who folded like a cheap tent in the face of a little adversity. Can’t wait to see what you do next.

MR

• Options

That's a good showing on the day. I'm with Mike, I think you've got a little bit more available for the run, next time you try. It may be as he says, a smoother bike, or a steadier effort earlier on the marathon. No sense quitting now.

• Options

Congratulations! It was exciting tracking you! Sounds like the day came down to managing HR in anther hot race, well done! Maybe it's time to do a "cooler" race, such as IMLP, IMKY, IMMT. BTW, missing your run goal by 6 seconds...based on the conditions, I think you can take credit for hitting your goal; give yourself a break. 🙂

• Options

Thanks All

@Mike Roberts

TrainingPeaks said 2.4w/kg?? I think Ill be tinkering my bike fit for next year. I got 165 cranks and raised my saddle 7.5mm and left the front alone. I run latex, 25mm, and 85 psi with an aero jacket and 60 mm wheel up front. I have Giro aero head, supposedly very aero. So im going the fit route to improve, fingers crossed. And another OutSeason should bring more power, or the ability to hold higher longer.

Ive already been comparing my HR from the race to training and last yearsrace. 150-153 seems like my long run safe zone, as of now. So i definatly seem why your saying i left some out on the first bit.

It was weird running with you at first. My thoughts were, " My HR is too high and I shouldn't be running with Mike, he runs faster than I." I figured if i blew up you could fix me lol. Thanks for everything Mike!

@Al Truscott

Thanks Al, nope not quitting. Doing Choo again since its a Key Race in 2019! Than i may look for a cooler temp venue.

@Derrek Sanks

Thanks D, I always think about doing cooler races lol and IMLou would have been a good one to do this year, atleast it looks that way. May do it in 2020 after EN France Cycling!! Have fun in the lava fields!

• Options

Congrats on a strong race, & it was great meeting you in Chattanooga.

Your's and the other teammate's knowledge & attention to details in your race reports is impressive, and is no doubt a huge reason that EN is so successful. When I visit my parents in Bristol next year, I'll have to give you a call and get a training ride together.

Keep going strong, I've got a very good feeling that we'll be reading a Kona race report from you one day!

Mike Thead

• Options

Thanks @MIKE THEAD I’d be done to ride or run. Great to meet you. Maybe I’ll make it down to the natchez trace sometime.