Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Trish M's IMKY Race Plan

Tuesday: Finish packing car and snacks in pm., Swim Bike Run according to training plan, practice transitions, Dr. Thumbs apt at 12:20. Make sure to use check lists.

Wednesday: Up and rolling by 9:30 am. Short run before leaving.  Drive to Hotel (about 7 hours) with Lunch on the way. Get checked in, unpacked, use party pants (both of us) Touch base with the boys for dinner?

Thursday: Check in early. Athlete meeting at 11 or 2 tbd. Ride out on the loop once with boys.  Start to assemble bags (mostly pre-packed at home already), sticker up the Ventum and helmet. Louisville slugger factory tour? Off feet post dinner. Use party pants. Review race plan and Transition ACTIONS.

Friday: Team lunch at Wild Eggs at 11am. Arrive early and enjoy time with the team.  Shorty run with boys? Roll neck and lower back with lacrosse ball 2x2’. BIG breakfast today and BIG Lunch. Dinner with boys early? In hotel??? Party pants after dinner. Review Blue Book before bed, race plan and transition ACTIONS.  

Saturday: Finish gear bags and clothing selections based on weather reports (looks like cool temps and rain most all day-need to keep hands and feet warm-suggestions team?). Check in bike and gear bags (take photos of gear before placing in bag for panic attack later in day, use inverted cups to cover string ties to keep rain out) . Walk transitions, take photos, zero in on my ACTIONS for the race, t1/t2. Make all nutrition needed: Special needs EFS pro, EFS pro for bike in am, waffles for jersey in t1, liquid shot for t2, and run special needs. Finish off packing special needs bike and run bags, as well as AM bag. Charge all toys. Work from the check list. Roll neck and back with lacrosse ball 2x2”. Post my note to myself on our Bedroom door so I see it before starting the day. Really try to not circle and get up a lot later in the evening. Dinner at hotel with the gang early. NO FIBER. Limited MEAT. Rice, chicken, spinach. ALL LOW RESIDUE FOODS. Drink NBS Preload by 8:30. Legs up by 8:30 and lights out by 9:30. This is probably harder for me than the race.

Sunday: Up at 4am. Eat breakfast (oatmeal with protein powder, almond butter, coffee, banana if I can handle it) take tums and bcaa’s, start to sip preload. Potty, get dressed, sunblock, gather all nutrition out of fridge, bike pump and walk down to transition with crew at predetermined time. Tires pumped, garmin 520 on and calibrated, EFS liquid shot in bento, EFS Pro in big bottle, water in torpedo, spare bottle in cage and get out of transition. Drop special needs bags, and walk to swim start…sit if can find a spot. HUGS AND KISSES AND TEARS all around! My hubby will be here which is not the norm for me so looking forward to a big squeeze from him before the race!!!

Pre swim: Note any wind that may push me off course. I usually swim 1:12-1:14 in IM swims, but am not well trained in the swim this year and expect a 1:20-1:25. Arm swings and hip loseners and the walk to swim start will be my warm up.  

SWIM: Swim hard for 200y just like I do at home, then try and get to some clear water to get in stroke groove. Will be hugging Tow Head Island on way out as it is supposedly less current. Sight often in beginning to navigate racers/that I’m still aiming for the proper buoys. Hit my groove and stay there. I will get clobbered (I always do) and that’s fine. Just keep in the box and focus on roll, taut core, and finish. Once we turn and head down river I will swim a bit wide of the buoys to once again get better current. Sighting every 6 strokes, breathing every stroke, focusing on taut core, finishing stroke, head position. On final stretch keep focused and strong on cadence. Pick it up a tick in last couple hundred yards just like I do at home, kick legs to get blood flow and focus on T1 ACTIONS. EST time: 1:18-1:25

T1: Hit lap on watch, wetsuit to waist, get stripped and hustle to T1. I will repeat to myself my steps as I jog to the bags. Grab my bag, into tent, towel if cold or windy (tips for cold wet riding other than full finger gloves and toe covers?), sunblock, helmet on, grab shoes, waffles/tylenol/tums in pockets and go to bike. Depending on conditions of grass, where I’m racked will dictate where I put shoes on (wet, muddy run barefoot to rack and put on there, dry, in tent) call out number 645, grab bike if need be, and get to mount line. Mount as SAFELY and QUICKLY as possible. Very sketchy here and I will be VERY SAFE to make sure I actually get to ride the course! EST Time: 6:30-9:00

BIKE: After mounting bike and clearing transition area, start to settle in. Because cooler temps are predicted (mid 50’s to low 60’s and rain for most of bike) I will use EFS liquid shot early in bike and switch to EFS pro later (less electrolytes in liquid shot) Drink every 10’. I will have waffles in my jersey just in case, but after speaking with Robert at First Endurance about best practice using the products with my gut issues/history won’t eat solids unless I feel like I”m bonking. I did practice this once for my final RR which was quite cool and managed much better than I thought I would (usually get very belly hungry). I am still aiming for 200c per hour on the bike, just all liquid now.  Watts: JRA for 20-30’ just as I do on long rides. Start to ride the bike keeping my goal NP lap watts in mind at about mile 10, beginning of climbing, and checking hr for effort. Just need to ride my watts and not be dumb. I am riding with my own nutrition, but there is a chance I will run out before special needs. If Ido, I will grab a bottle of GE and add about what I need to finish the loop. Stop at special needs for my fluid, any extra’s I may need. BE SPEEDY HERE. I will double check to see if porta pot available so I can pee there. I will be very mindful of nutrition in second half to set myself up for the run. If there are issues I will fix them. Mechanical? Take a breath, eat/drink something, then fix. Headache, shoulder/neck ache? Take a tylenol…sooner than later. Gut issues? Take tums, increase water..think it through and fix it. Knee? Tylenol. Keep an eye on last hour HR. EST Time: 6:25-6:45

T2: feet out of shoes, FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS! Hand off rig and do the awkward trot to bags…YOU ARE RACING! FOCUS!!! Hit lap on watch. Grab bag,645 trot to tent, get chair by exit. LUBE EVERYTHING THAT MIGHT CHAFE!!! Especially if raining! Socks, shoes, go bag and GO. :D EST Time: 5:00-8:00

RUN: First mile hit lap on watch, put stuff on from go bag: hat, sunblock, race belt, extra tums and tylenol in pocket, biofreeze pack in pocket EFS liquid shot in hand for first mile, race saver (if hot). Observe HR and turnover to get my legs under me. Focus on big toe plant and form-. I run with HR and NOT by pace on race day. I will focus on keeping my hr down (140 or less-can you hear yourself breathing?) in the first miles and not letting it slip lower in the last miles. I will have dry socks and more efs liquid shot at special needs. May throw in a long sleeve top or cheap gloves to get warm. I will take in my EFS with water at every mile till 18-20 when I’ll switch to coke aiming for about 150 calories per hour. If gut goes south, take tums, drink more water, skip a feeding, swish gatorade, try broth, try a banana, start coke…figure it out. I have my mantra’s in place for the tough spots. I will apply more effort as the race goes on as WSW Al T has described in the wiki. I will smile and take it all in on 4th Street LIVE! EST Time : 5:00-5:20

If I focus on goal times VS. PROCESS GOALS I will not have as good a race as my current fitness allows. I’ll booger something chasing a time. NO BOOGERS! What I want is a well executed race for my FITNESS on 10/14/18 and NO GUT ISSUES!!! Any and all input is appreciated!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Looks good @Trish Marshall

You noted low fiber on Sat but have spinach on the menu. I would cut that out, go big at breakfast and lunch, small dinner. Im usually so full i dont want much anyways.

Im glad you moved to all liquid, it has worked for me and its simple. Just be prepared to pee at least twice even if temps are cool. You cant make it up later. If you start loosing focus/thoughts of just wanting to be done, you might be low on calories.

If you do water make sure your throwing in salt to mobilize the water. Following HR should lead you to a good run, it has always for me. Like you said about chasing time, focus on your HR and your breathing and you should be in good shape. Make sure your run fueling is easy to execute and as simple as possible, less probability to mess up.

Have a great race, Ill be following!

• Options
    edited October 9, 2018 3:18AM

@Josh Church thanks for your input. I forgot to mention I will take Prerace Tabs with a bit of caffeine about half way through the bike to help with focus (have practiced in training) and a mile or two into the run. I will definitely pee twice, possibly more. Bad news is I have never been able to pee on the bike. :( But I know I ride better when I've peed than being in pain holding it.

I will take a pass on the spinach. ;)

• Options

@Trish Marshall I doubt you will have much contact on that swim venue. There are two left turns. The first one is after the island. T his can be moving water, just stay the course. The second left is the current where you can feel momentum.

Before taking Tylenol go for the Pre-Race caps, easier on gut and similar affect.

Have a great race Trish!!

• Options

@Trish Marshall are your transitions normally that long? or are the swim out and bike in that far from the tent?

• Options

@Trish Marshall Looks like a solid plan. Don't overthink the feeding just keep the calories ( and fluids) coming in. Grab a banana at an aid station if you are feeling hungry.

Will be following you this weekend. Have a great day.

• Options

I still tell people about the IM athlete I know who stopped during a race to pet a dog. Which is one of the hundreds of reasons why you’re too good to be my friend, but I will continue to go with it until you wise up. As to the gut, when in doubt on the bike, eat less. You will not bonk. Even if you feel good, ease up on the food the last hour of the bike. You will not bonk. If you find yourself starving on the run (lotto odds against it happening), then you eat at one of the 25 buffets on course - just like we do during a regular day when we get hungry. If you err, it’s going too easy on the bike, too much GE, and too little food. Wish I were there to cheer on and sweaty-hug one of my all-time fav’s at the finish line.

• Options

@Jonathan Brown did you just call me SLOW??? ;) I did a guestimate after looking at my AG t1 and t2 times. I've not seen the set up there before. I will hustle for sure cause I know its free speed and while my S/B/R times are slower over all this year, I can still push the transitions. :D

• Options

Never gonna wise up to being your fangirl, @Mike Roberts ! My new motto...don't fear the bonk, fear the nausea! Will heed your message friend.

Wish you were going to be in chilly Louisville, but if you have a Mai Tai in my honor I'll forgive you!

• Options

Thank you @Sheila Leard! Will have extra precaps and will use before tylenol if needed. Thanks for that tidbit! :D

• Options

Make sure you go in off the Right Dock its shorter. Keep petting the dogs but get rid of some of that transition time so its a wash , In fact pee on the bike and pet all the dogs you want:-) Good Skill Trish!

• Options

@Trish Marshall If i am going to be in the top 30 of anything, that is transition times!!! So I try to get in and out asap. But you are right, we dont know how long the swim exit is to the changing tent.

• Options

Trish, I've been watching you work on this puzzle for at least 7 years now. I've learned that confidence and stubbornness are two keys to getting the best out of yourself on IM race day. You're stubborn as a mule. Spend some time over the next few days remembering when things went well during a race or in training; that will help fill in the confidence bubble.

Get out there, race it moment-by-moment, and end up with a very tired smile on your face,

• Options

@Trish Marshall There is a thread on ST re Lou and preparing for the cold, here is a link:

Look forward to meeting you on Friday!

• Options

@Trish Marshall -- the cooler weather should help to avoid gut issues. You may feel some cold along that first bike stretch on River Road; consider arm warmers and toss-away gloves. Race well, I'll be tracking you. I know you'll have a great day

• Options
    edited October 11, 2018 9:25AM

@Trish Marshall, for cooler weather I use arm warmers & a gilet. A gilet isnt to hard to put on or take off & stops your corse/chest getting cold. I use merino (wool) arm warmers as they go on easy when wet but a pair of old (or new 😉) cut up tube socks will go on easy when wet & do just as good a job, if you get too hot just rool em down & use them to wipe your nose 😀. Good luck 👍️

• Options

@Al Truscott - I will hear you in my head on the run for sure...I'll be telling myself the same thing you told me at Placid! :D

@tim cronk LOL! I WISH I could pee on the bike...I've been trying for years. I blame my mother (no potty in public!!!) I will try and be as quick in T's as possible. I know I'll be adding gear for warmth as I get cold easily. Lastly, I only pet the dogs in my mind while racing now. ;) I do pet as many pre race as possible though.

@Alan Brown great list! Thanks for sharing. See you tomorrow!

@Paul Curtin thank you! You first though. ;) Have a fantastic day on the big stage my friend!!!!

@KARL BONNER thank you!!!