Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

Anyone have an inside source at SRAM (or Shimano)??

I'm still in the early stages of trying to figure out my next tri bike. I have a 10-speed Di2 Cervelo P5 that I bought in 2012 about a week before the whole world switched to 11-speed... So my 10-speed was almost immediately rendered obsolete (and has been unsupported by Shimano for 5+ years).

SRAM Mountain bike components have already moved to 12 speed (and there have been sightings of Electronic 1x12 for Mountain bikes since March of 2018).

Long story short, I'd hate to build up a brand new $$$ 11-speed Tri bike with the intention of it lasting the next ~5-6 yrs and a week later learn that the whole world is moving on to 12 speed. I'd strongly prefer to just skip an entire (11-spd) generation altogether and be an early adopter of 12 speed. (In my ideal world, I'd find out when 1x12 Electronic shifting will come to the road/tri world, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.)

So out of the ~600+ EN members, surely 1 of you knows a guy who knows a guy who is a SRAM engineer that you could talk to for me.... (I'd be fine with Shimano also, but I just assumed you'd need to speak Japanese to get this info out of them).

Campy seems to be already there on 12-Speed Mechanical Groupsets, but not quite in electronic form yet. I'd strongly prefer SRAM (or Shimano) to Campy, but I'm Only going to go electronic shifting regardless of brand (not going back to Mechanical).

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Let me know what you find out.

i find sram wireless the only way to go. And the further simplicity of 1x 11. And maybe eventually 1x12.

• Options

oh oh oh 1X is so sexy but probably not practical!!

• Options

@Patrick Large What Crankset (53/39, 52/36, 50/34, other?) do you have on your Tri bike? And what Cassette did you use for your last race? And just for fun, what's your W/Kg?

• Options

I've got the 1x12 SRAM Eagle on my Pivot 429SL MTB.

Just bought my new tri bike a few months ago and got 2x crank, 11spd with 52/36 and 11/28.

For this big dood, I think the 2x is better, more options with less cadence gaps, when moving between all 22 gears. There are a few big gaps on the MTB, that seem to be within my "preferred" gearing range, so not a superfan. But for ease of use and less chance of mechanical failure, why the heck not?!?

• Options

Because it was more fun for me to build a gear ratio spreadsheet than actually work today... I built the gear ratio spreadsheet. We are WAY off topic from my original post, but here goes anyways... With the new long cage RD's, you can get every bit as much range in a 1x setup as you can in a 2x setup, with marginal differences in cadence gaps. My baseline is that I am currently running a 2x10 and am (sort of) running a 52/36 on the front (Oval Chainrings make this a bit weird). I regularly run my 11-28 and those cadence gaps don't bother me, but when I raced FL and Coz I went with an 11-23. I think I went into my small chain ring ~2 or maybe 3 times per lap at IMWis. Usually I stay in my big chain ring until I cross chain, then I shift to the small chainring for the remainder of the climb if it's a still long way off to the top.

To compare apples to apples, you first have to remove the cross-chain gears and redundant gears (i.e. 52-17 and 36-12 create a very similar gear ratio different ways). Then consider that all of the biggest ~7-8 of the big chainring gears are the ones I use 95% of the time on my tri bike. Then give me a few granny gears on the low end when the hills get big (I care a lot less about cadence gaps when I'm looking for 1 extra gear on a hill).

With a couple different chain rings depending on the expected course, and with a couple of cassettes that you could mix and match specific gears, you could have a really big range (sans FD).

• Options

What John said.

not sure what you mean Patrick.

I have been successful with a 1x 11 setup for three years now. 52 chainring. 11-32 for flat. 11-40 for hilly course. I only race with 1x setup.

Etap. Longer b screw. Wolftooth derailleur extender.

• Options

@robin sarner I just sent you a PM with questions about your specific setup...