Homeโ€บ Racing Forum ๐ŸŽ
Options

Waco 70.3

Been a while since I wrote a race report. Took a few days off from race day to be out of any mind space for racing / exercise, but time to get back.

2018 continued to be a light year for this retired senior. But I was getting cranky earlier this year not having a race goal. In 2017 I placed 4th at Austin. Saw that it was cancelled, but Waco was put up in its place, so given that its relatively close to Arkansas, that was the late set goal.

About 3-4 months out from Austin I restarted my EN membership. Rearranged some retirement cash flow and made it happen. Glad that I did. @Coach Patrick was a valuable resource (as always). The timing placed me mid-stream in the half IM bike focus plan, and the rides were difficult given where I was starting from, but I kept at it. (I still don't use the forums as much as I should, however.)

Then about 9 weeks out from Waco another rider hit my rear wheel and sent me down with a fall to my right hip and a crack of my head. The head cleared in a couple of days, but the results from the fall on the hip took longer. At two weeks out I tried to come back too soon and paid the price by making the hip and related muscle issues much worse. So all total I was out for 5 weeks with almost no rides and little running. Fortunately we were not just sitting at home all that time, but out on a 2 week RV trip to Michigan, so that passed the time at the end of that 5 week period of training downtime.

So back to the formal training schedule with about 4 weeks left. I had missed the camp week volume in the previous week while still finishing the Michigan trip, but thought I feel very good after returning from the RV trip. Thought I would shift the Camp Week volume to the coming weekend. My logic was that if I survived, then I was back. If not, then re-evaluate. I survived and I was back with no recurring hip / muscle issues. Power and endurance were down on the bike, but I knew I would be ok to race.

The 4 weeks to Waco went quickly without issue. Wasn't sure of how I would perform, but I would at least compete, and for that I was very thankful.

Swim was cancelled due to dangerous river flows after huge rains in TX. That meant a TT start (a new experience). The bike course was just rollers (less than we have in Arkansas) with some chip-and-seal, but overall in very good condition. I kept my power pretty even with what I had found I was capable of after the 5 weeks off.

The bike was also the first execution in a race of a new hydration method for me, using only Gatorade Endurance to force salt intake, and never taking a drink of clear water (in 2016 I spent time in the hospital twice after races, so I learned my lesson the hard way). The goal was to start the run fully hydrated and getting that with sodium in every drink. Given that I had to hit a porta potty twice, once on the bike and once on the run, I know that I entered the run topped off. The Gatorade plan didn't give me enough calories on the bike though (felt light headed about 2/3 through the bike and a sugar snack brought me back). (lesson 1 - learn to pee while moving -- never have been good at that -- and I could have saved minutes. Lesson 2 - up the caloric intake on the bike)

The run was good, but not my best at a 70.3. The hills were not an issue (we train regularly in hills). Overall given that it was (for me) very hot in the sun I walked at every aid station to take 2-3 Gatorade's. I'm plagued being a heavy sweater so staying hydrated is an issue. Also supplemented with base salt every mile or so. I did walk with a local Little Rock teammate who was struggling. Eventually got her back to running. That cost me some time but it was the right thing to do. I had been running at a faster pace off the bike, so I think the combination of walks at the aid stations, a potty stop and a walk with another teammate all added up. Not my best run, but in the end I was not overly disappointed either.

The Waco venue was excellent. Can't say enough good about Waco. Virginia and I will definitely return.

Overall the finish was 9th. Meh, given my 4th place finish from Austin last year. But after being off for 5 weeks just before the race, not a bad result at all.

Not sure there are any full IM's left for this retired senior. Lots of wife pressure after the hospital stays in 2016, few around to train with for that distance any more, and candidly I just don't have the motivation I used to have after 2016. But I'm definitely in for continuing at the 70.3 level.

Comments

• Options

Congratulations! I think 9th is great after 5 weeks off due to a bike crash! That's a great comeback. Sounds like you had a solid day and were able to overcome a couple obstacles and helped out a teammate. Well done.