Homeβ€Ί Racing Forum 🏎
Options

IM AZ Race PLan

Commute from SeaTac 15 Sept. Hope to get in registration, Race Briefing and run a 5 K. Sign up for 2019?

Race day: Up by 4 am. Small breakfast .5 cup of coffee, power bar, 1 small glass of juice.to prevent last minute crisis

Re check race equipment lists to ensure , this list includes chip left ankle, goggles around neck and swim cap. tire pressure optimized. time enough in transition.

commute to venue from hotel by car ensure bike gear bags and run gear bags have appropriate fluids I use both perpetuem and Infinit,

SWIM: Goal time less than 120 , will line up with 120 group, be patient, good consistent stroke will enhance my speed, will draft only if to my advantage. Can increase my stake cadence after 800 yards, Maintain a strait swim, buoy to buoy, be patient, At the swim turn around think of next half as a downhill.

T-1 Change Garmin, get wet suit peeled, Fire up my EDGE on the bike, Helmet, glasses, shoes and socks, be quick but don't hurry. Goal of less than 5 minutes, Use Blue room if needed.

CYCLE: Smooth mount and cycle up to Bee line. first 10 miles is for me to get untracked, goal in first 40 miles to have good placement, avoid mistakes such as drafting, blocking, littering, Stay focused and maintain Aero. Nutrition is Key to Marathon. Of course have fun, Enjoy the down hill sections as opportunity to improve times. In lap 2 avoid pit falls, of focus, aero, avoid drafting. Honest evaluation of energy, nutrition, heart rate, fluids. Keep ride under 6:30

T-2 be quick do not hurry, Shed Helmet, bike shoes, rack bike, quickly change socks only if needed, otherwise slip on run shoes, grab and put on race number, grab visor, sunglasses, Hit the road. Blue room if needed.

RUN: I try to compartmentalize this event, Since I enjoy and find easy the Half Marathon, I will try to keep it light and positive. Miles 13- 26

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Hey I wasn't done: Mile 13-26, run to mile 18 avoid shuffle, maintain cadence and speed, after mile 18- take it one mile at a time. goal is a marathon around 4:40 I have a 4:30 in me, but must have perfect nutrition and focus to accomplish this.

MY HISTORY: This is my 6th IM and 2nd AZ race, this is a great venue, This is my 6th race this year with a trip to S Africa and 70.3 worlds. I hope to do better in AZ.

• Options

@EugenePartridge while I didnt quite get your exact pacing/nutrition schedule/strategy I do believe you covered it in this comment. "Honest evaluation of energy, nutrition, heart rate, fluids.Β " Have an all day conversation with yourself evaluating those questions. You have had a big year , concentrate on execution and let everything fall into place. Good Skill

• Options

@EugenePartridge You have done a number of these so I'm assuming lots of this is in your head. From experience this can be good and bad. Particularly on the "nutrition is key to the marathon" comment particularly if you want to hit the 4:40 or 4:30 goals.

Nutrition seems lights in the pre race meal. I would not do much different here for this race but for the future maybe a few more calories.

Swim is that 1 hour 20' or 120' minutes. If the latter in particular you will be in the water for a long time. Do you have a strategy for early bike nutrition?

• Options

@Gordon Cherwoniak , Points well taken on nutrition, my wife and I pulled out our 2016 nutrition plan.

I agree that having this correct t will set me up for the Marathon, and prevent cramps, not to mention energy.

We have the nutrition plan with grams of carbs down to every 15 minutes. I understand I am also fueling my fun to come

I will be swimming for 1 hour and 15 minutes my goal is 1 hour 10, slower than 1,hour twenty would be too slow based on races and training. I hope to do better.

Thank you

• Options

@tim cronk

I have tightened up my nutrition needs, so beginning to focus on race execution is a great plan. Please also see my comments @Gordon Cherwoniak

Starting with video related to IM AZ and 4 keys is my next step.

I travel down to AZ tomorrow, I let Today be school day and try to get out training mode and into race mode. Your points are well taken and helpful.