Options

Higinio Rodriguez Official Coach Thread

edited November 28, 2018 2:24PM in Coach*EN 🔒

Age Group, Height and Weight. 55-60 5'10" 170lbs

140.6 Best Time in Last Five Years na

70.3 Best Time in Last Five Years 4:55:51 I.M New Orleans

Oly Best Time in Last Five Years 2:27:37

26.2 Best Time in Last Five Years na

13.1 Best Time in Last Five Years 1:56:46 IM New Orleans ( last half marathon was about a million years ago )

Your Strongest Discipline * Bike

Your Weakest Discipline * Swim

Your Weakest Discipline: Tell Us More... *

Have gotten a lot better since joining a masters group

Your Injury / Difficulty History * Right knee cleaned up about 10 years ago .

Top Three Lessons Learned in your triathlon career. *

You have to put time into your training to get faster .

Your Top Three Races / Events this Season (with dates):

10/21/18 I.M. New Orleans 2nd AG 10/6/18 Santa Rosa Island Triathlon 1st AG Publix Grandman Triathlon 6/2/18 2nd AG

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Okay, finally able to complete your season plan into Ironman Texas. 👍 Very excited to help you work towards this race as it's obviously local and, as your first one, super important! There are two competing priorities here for you: first, we want to get you training consistently so we can continue to build your fitness to the point where you are training for your race versus just training. Second, to educate you as to how we execute on Wednesday so you can make all of the right decisions. That won't really start until February, but I want you to file that away for now.

Because of the tight timeline into Ironman Texas, I have put you into our OutSeason®  program starting on Monday. You can learn more about the out season here: OutSeason Plan. In a nutshell, the out season is a time of year when we do a lot of high-quality, interval based training in order to build your fitness while not overtaxing your system. I know you have some warmer weather in your neck of the woods, so you are welcome to add in additional outdoor cycling for longer periods of time if that fits your schedule. This is something you and I can discuss on the phone when we do connect.

You will also want to keep up at least one of those SwIm sessions a week. It's not critical that you swim right now, but it's nice to have it rolling so you don't have to rebuild it once it's time to transition to proper race focused training.

Our goal here is to make sure that you are building some quality bike strength to survive the race itself. While the bike course is fast, anything longer than four hours on the bike is "work!" We want to make sure that your fitness is solid and that your bike fit is comfortable enough for you to remain in the aero position all day.

When you have a chance, please use your phone to attach a picture to this post of you on your bike -- a race photo is fine or someone can take a picture of you while you are on your trainer. I have loaded your training plans into final surge for you, so all you have to do now is get to work.

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions as you get started, and I'm looking forward to our first coach call to get you on track!

Your Races

•  04/27/19 Ironman Texas

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on November 23, 2018

• On 11/26/2018 Load the -- OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 3/3/2019
  • On 3/4/2019 Load the EN*Full to end on 4/27/2019
  • On 4/28/2019 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 5/25/2019

Your Notes

I have done Ironman Austin 2016 Ironman New Orleans 2018 ( both halves ) Several Olympic and sprint tri's . Have been doing tri's since 1997 , my goal is to do Ironman Texas next year .Swim about 2700 yards twice a week with a masters program . Run 3 days a week 15 to 20 miles a week . Bike 3 days a week 5 to 6 hours a week .

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?

• What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)

• End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

• Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

• Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

@Higinio Rodriguez - great to talk to you the other day. I really enjoy the opportunity to connect in person to make sure we are making the most of our training time together. Your race is far, but it's not THAT far away! 😱

Here are my notes for you from our call:

• First, let's get rid of that pain in your butt, aka Piriformis Syndrome. Here's a great article with some tips for you: https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20855795/how-can-i-banish-that-pain-in-my-butt/
    • Second, I have made some adjustments to your schedule on Final Surge to account for your Monday / Tuesday / Thursday sessions (through January). Let's see how they play out.
    • Looking forward to Feb / March / April we'll need to try (try!) to block off one weekend a month for those longer rides...just putting a pin in this for you.
    • Rest Days...there are some rest days...but you might need to do more resting at first. If that's the case, I don't mind at all. Right now it can be a 100% day off...come jan / feb it might be more of an "easy bike" than a complete day off.

You mentioned needing help with the swim. Can you elaborate on that for me?

Finally, I'd love to see some pictures of you on the bike and on the run. You should be able to upload them using the buttons below; let me know if you have any trouble!

~ Patrick

• Options

@Higinio Rodriguez - man, that's a SWEET RIDE. Thanks so much for the pictures.

In other news...how's your butt (aka piriformis syndrome)? 🤣

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks Patrick , the pain comes and goes I'm making an appointment to get it checked out , thanks for asking .

• Options

Looking forward to talking about this and catching up this week!

• Options

@Higinio Rodriguez -

Follow up for our call from last week...thanks again for the call and the update!

Race Values for bike and run.

• So hard to tell what it should be from your rides with friends. Your testing was 188 Normalized Power...which tells me that your long rides should be around 145 watts...but your rides are closer to 170 watts. So it doesn't really make sense to me. Looking at your 112 ride from the past week, you can see how your power faded (black line trends down) and heart rate grows (red line trends up) which is called decoupling. Your body was "working hard" even though you weren't doing the same work. This means that you went out too hard! So The race zones in my mind should be:
    • 20 miles at 160 W Or less
    • Remainder at 165 to 180 watts.

The run is all about heart rate. Take your average Heart Rate off the bike and that's what you'll run. From your long runs, this is between  120 and 125 beats...and it will drift up to 125 to maybe 130 by the end. If you see 130 in the first six mile you GOTTA SLOW DOWN.

Keep me posted!

~ Coach P

This discussion has been closed.