Homeβ€Ί Announcements πŸŽ™
Options

Intermediate versus Advanced marathon plan

What is the difference between the Intermediate and Advanced Marathon plans?

I'm trying to compare these two:

Both say: "You'll build to a long run in the 2.5 hour range, with a peak of 18 miles. Along the way you'll do interval, tempo and hill training to build strength. We expect you to get to a place of running five to six days a week, with peak weeks between 30 and 45 miles depending on your ability level and overall fitness."

Intermediate says: The Intermediate plan steps up, making rest optional and adding a bit more work to support athletes who are building off of a good season with an eye towards a strong run performance

Advanced says: The Advanced plan is our most aggressive option, ideal for runners looking to break through and set a new personal best.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

There should be previews in Final Surge, showing all of the daily workouts.

• Options

I looked at the previews and the differences were not obvious to me.

• Options

At first glance I thought the same, but when I compared the two closely it looks like there are a few main differences.

Long runs have some z4 work tossed in, on the Adv plan and some are longer ( Days 13, 20, etc.):

• adv: MS: 4 miles @ z1/LRP, 2 miles @ Z4 / TPace, 1 mile @ z1/LRP, 1 miles @ Z4 / Tpace.
    • int: MS: 4 miles @ z1 / LRP, last 4 miles at z3 / HMP.

Intervals are longer (Day 25, 32, etc)

• Int: MS: 8 x 1/2 mile (2') @ z4/TP; Remainder of time @ z2/MP.
    • Adv: MS: 2 x 1 mile (4'), 2 x 1/2 mile @ z4/TP; Remainder of time @ z2/MP.

Tempo Runs are longer in the Adv vs Int

• Options
    edited November 27, 2018 2:00PM

Thanks @Patrick Hayden and @Al Truscott ! I'll have to do a bit more digging.