Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Julie Pfeifle's 2019 Official Coach Thread

@Julie Pfeifle -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

I appreciate your honest assessment of your engagement. However results don't lie -- you got game! 👍 I think the Best way to approach 2019 is to understand the importance of incremental gains. For example, lots of little short runs add up..vs waiting to ramp up mileage later and risking injury, etc. In your case, some December Run Durability (I added) and some Strength (also added) before you start the January OutSeason Plan (haven't added will wait on you).

Your Races

• 5/4/2019 (Triathlon) Long Course Worlds (4k/120k/30k) - Pontevedra, Spain
  • Ironman Maryland (2019-09-28) #IMMD_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/28/2018
  • On 11/26/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/23/2018
  • On 12/24/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/20/2019
  • >> Transition Early <<
  • On 1/7/2019 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
  • >> Transition Early <<
  • On 3/18/2019 Load the EN*Half Bike Focused to end on 5/5/2019
  • On 5/6/2019 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 5/19/2019
  • On 5/20/2019 Load the -- Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 6/30/2019
  • On 7/1/2019 Load the -- EN*Full Bike Focused to end on 9/29/2019
  • On 9/30/2019 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 10/27/2019
  • On 10/28/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/24/2019

Your Notes

1 tri in 2018 - MiamiMan 1/2 IM 11/11 (it's been a very off year!), but... I guess my 30ish years of doing this carried me through. I've been very much a weekend warrior athlete this year, so had zero expectations going into this race, except have fun with gal pals in Miami! I actually surprised myself and came in 9th / 17 despite sub-optimal training and being at the top of my age group (thus qualifying for Worlds in Pontevedra, Spain. True to form, climbed the AG results through the swim / bike / run.

Goal this next, age-up year is get my training act together - regain my run, improve my bike, build strong core, clean up my diet, AND make a sold run for a KQ slot - I think for IM Maryland. It's pitiful - check out Final Surge... you'll see. :) As I said, I've been very much a weekend warrior and have traveled since MiamiMan, so nothing since then.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Love it, CoachP! Thanks a TON!! Can't wait to get started! I have a gut feeling that this will be a MUCH better year, as some big life issues from last year (mom health, new job) are way more under control right now. One note that you might have missed as I added it to my old coach forum after I submitted my 2019 race plan is that I'm contemplating IM Mont Tremblant vs IM Maryland, basically coz a friend is thinking about it, and racing/training with friends is way more fun than solo! What are your thoughts on below?

Here's a copy of that note:

Hey CoachP, long time no post! But I did just submit a race plan for 2019!! and before you get to that, I hope you see this note!! Coz, I'd like your thoughts on what that A race would be. I put in there IM Maryland, as well as Long Course Worlds in Spain in early May. But... a friend just threw out the idea of IM Mont Tremblant. I've heard great things about IM MT. What do you think about timing of MT vs MD in relation to the 3/4 IM distance & timing of LC Worlds? I picked MD (but haven't registered yet) coz I feel like I'm a flat course athlete (I'm a weak hill climber), and coz I'm from MD, have actually raced the course long ago at Eagleman, and have registered twice before but life circumstances got in the way. OTOH, I've heard great stuff about MT and it's certainly more of a destination race. Wonder which is better for a KQ?? Love your thoughts on this! Thanks!!

And huge congrats on IM Coz... you are friggin' amazing!! I loved everything about that race - destination, locals, whole race experience, and the course (well, all but the wind on that 9 mile gorgeous stretch of ocean!) Here's how I "rode" that stretch the next day :) (hubby drove... )

• Options

@Julie Pfeifle - I think I missed this email before I did your season, but it’s OK. If it all works backwards from a KQ effort, that I suggest you use this website to look at your age group are both events. I think there is an even a “compare“ button that you can check that will stack the two races next to each other by age Group. www.obstri.com

Mantra Blanc is definitely a Destiination rice and it’s beautiful. But yes, there are hills on both the bike and the run. I personally like hills, even when I’m not strong. I like the idea of having periods of recovery after work and coasting downhill weather cycling or running gives me that opportunity. 

Bud going up the hill does requires strength and work. So maybe take a look at the results and see what you think. Another key difference is that IMMT will be about a month earlier on the schedule. Certainly doable, but it does compress your season a little bit. It would effectively qualify you for cold of the season versus Maryland qualifying you for 2020.

Ps love the picture!!

• Options

Happy almost New Year, CoachP!! Hope you and family have been enjoying the holidays!! Hey, I'm intrigued by CoachEN (age up year to F60-64 and feel like I'm not realizing my potential), but have a few questions...

1. How many athletes are taking advantage of this, and is there a limit?
    2. As you probably know, I've struggled the last year to get into a rhythm, but feel like life is settling down. Honestly, tho, I haven't found that rhythm yet, with holidays and daughter visiting. Is there hope for me?? :) Would you take me on?

All for now...

Thank you!

and... IM MT (from above) is off the table. IM MD is definitely on, plus... what's the dealio on IM Argentina?? 75 slots and only 1 person in 60-64 last couple years!!

• Options

Hey, great to hear from you. I answered you in your email before I saw this post. Please check out that reply but keep in touch with me here as I prefer this to my inbox. Excited to get you back on track and Roger that I know TrentBot. Places like Argentina are great ones for folks like yourself. You were instantly top three just by signing up! I have enjoyed traveling and Racing For the past two years. As long as you have the logistics lined up you should be all set. The best part about Argentina is despite the flight there is no time zone change. Let’s talk soon.

• Options

I’m in! Let’s do this! What next?

• Options
    edited January 6, 2019 5:26PM

Hola CoachP... I know we're chatting Tues am, but I took a look at my last note from you re: this year's training, and per that, I'm to load up JanOS starting tomorrow. I'm going to assume that will stay the same so have loaded it and ... started to get excited from seeing who else is doing it from the forums. Of course, we can adjust based on our Tues chat. See ya then!

oops... realized this is my old "coach forum thread", so copied to the new coachEN thread; no need to reply here. :)