Homeโ€บ Races & Places ๐Ÿโ›บ
Options

Scott Giljum's Lookout Mountain 50 Mile RR

I hope you stopped by the bathroom and grabbed a drink before you opened this, because this could be a long one!

Here are the top line stats: 11:29.35 over the 50 plus miles, 35/104 overall with at least 40-50 (or more) DNF, 6/16 in age group. Goal was to finish. I was thinking between 10-12 hours, probably closer to 12. Cut offs were figured on 16 minute miles, so as long as my mile times came in under 16, I could finish. I wasn't too worried about that, but given this was my first ultra, I didn't know what to expect.

Long version:

My last true target race that I actually competed in was IM Moo in 2015. It was my best race by far (finished 19th in my age group, which for me was just awesome) and I felt I was ready to go. I had planned on racing in 2016 and 2017 but could not stay healthy enough where racing would not have done more damage. As it turns out, it was all likely due to the same thing that led me to have ankle surgery in October 2017. All thoughts of racing were put on the shelf temorarily as I was non-weight bearing on that leg for six weeks followed by another four in a walking boot. Basically, I was out of the boot just after Christmas 2017 with a leg that was comically small. I was able to run again (on a very limited basis) starting at the end of February. I won't bore with all the stories about PT and everything else, but just know, there were some dark points and I had almost written off 2017 with a plan to get back in the game in 2018.

That plan changed when a cousin that also likes to dabble in endurnace sports asked me in June if I wanted to join him for the 50 mile North Face Endurance Challenge in San Francisco in November. Mind you, at that point my longest run in any one instance post surgery was 8 miles. I might have gone to 9, maybe. I talked with @Coach Patrick and we decided, with some training plan manipulation, I could get it done. Thank God I like (and had been using extensively) Zwift. Bike fitness was a big key to get fit without endangering my leg recover too much.

I won't go through all the training, but I was ready. Unfortunately, wild fires struck almost the entire state of California and the air conditions were not good. Like can't see a few feet in front of your face type of bad. The race organizers did the right thing and cancelled the race, but I was bumming. @Jeff Horn at that point mentioned to me that he would be doing the Lookout Mountain 50 in Chattanooga on 12/15. Once NFEC was officially cancelled, I signed up and off we went!

Fast forward to race week. I drove to Chattanooga on Thursday and met Jeff for dinner that night after an easy run to shake out the legs. We talked about nutrition, gear, strategy, and weather. Forecasts all week made it seem we would be running in a downpour most of the day.ย  We talked about how best to keep dry and what we would do with drop bags, kit, etc., to minimize the problems the wet could create. One other tidbit wasJeff knew the front of the course as he had run it before and suggested to push a bit harder than desired in the first mile because the course becomes a conga line from that point almost until mile 6. That was something I tucked away for later.

Friday was a super wet and rainy day, so knew the course would be a mess. I picked up the packet, asked some questions of the organizers on drops, nutrition on course, expected conditions, etc. I also stopped at an outdoors store to see about a better rain shell than the one I had. I also picked up a merino wool base layer and gloves. I found time to eat the worlds biggest pancakes (at least an inch thick I swear!), a good sized turkey sandwich at lunch and basically the same for dinner. I was following my IM protocol for food as it worked before, I was planning on a similar timed effort, so why mess with what works?

I also looked at the course a lot. The first 18 was a loop around the mountain with a fair bit down and then a long climb back up. The back 30+ was a long stick with a 4 mile loop at the end. My basic nutrition plan was a drink(s) every mile of tailwind, two shot blocks every 30 minutes, and graze at the aid stations.

After taking what would be considered a long nap, my alarm went off Saturday morning. I checked the weather, and it was calling for occasional showers (I could think of 3-4 times through the day with really only one being pretty hard, so we lucked out there). I again ate like I had for IM's. I got dressed, lubed up, and drove to the course up on Lookout Mountain. It was brutally foggy on the way up. After dropping off my drop bags, I met up with Jeff, who introduced me to his friends (some running and some supporting). I opted for a lighter kit and was glad I did. It was cold at the start, but I sweat like there is no tomorrow, so it wasn't long before I was more than warm. At 7:30, we all ran off into the fog!

I did as Jeff had suggested and pushed it a bit on the section before we actually entered the trail. It freed me up until about mile 3-ish before I was in full conga mode. The course was pretty rocky (think big, old, boulder type rocks) and also pretty muddy/soupy in parts. At about mile six, the trail opened up to a fire road and you would swear an actual race gun went off based on the number of people that were going full gas then. Part of this was fueled by the fact that we were mixed in with folks "only" running the 20 mile race. We hit the first aid station not long after at the 8.2 mile mark. I grabbed some food, some water, and was on my way. Things were a little thinner now, and not much to report as we kept descending until the next aid station at mile 13. We were now at the lowest point elevation wise. I grabbed some food and shot of water and motored on. We ran a couple flat miles and then were on the climb. From the aid station at mile 13 to the next aid station at 18.2, we ascended about 1400 feet with almost all of it in less than a two mile stretch. I power hiked that and when I got the aid station (which was also the end of the loop and the first drop bag station), I was felling pretty darn good. I had a soft flask of caf tailwind ready to go at the drop. I grabbed that, some food and water again and started to head out. The volunteer grabbed me before I left and said it will be 9 plus miles to the next aid station, so make sure you have all you need. I had plenty I thought, so I went on my way.

The stretch to the 27.2 mile aid station proved to be pretty long. It also wasn't helped by the fact I went off course by about a mile round trip! I am good with tailwind, but it does make me need to supplement with water. That was the first problem I noticed in this stretch. After about 5 miles or so, I was starting to feel pretty thirsty, and the tailwind wasn't really helping as much as I would have liked at that point. This stretch was also pretty runnable, and a net downhill much of the way with a few bumps just to keep you on your toes. By the time I finally got to the aid station, I felt I was a bit of a mess because of the hydration. I also realized at this point, I was probably cutting things a bit too tight on calories. I changed up what I was eating and how I would refill my bottles going forward. Now I grabbed a potato and salt (so good), raman noodles, and cup of coke. At this aid station I also filled up my soft flask with tailwind and my 70 oz bladder with water. That had tailwind in it to that point, and still had some left, so I had a diluted version, which was great given my need for water at that point. After the aid station I felt pretty good again. I would need it as in short order you basically scale a cliff face. Like, they had one rope tied to get you across a section and then another you had to use to climb up. At that point I was thinking WTF was that?! Next aid station was at 32.6. What became the pattern going into the 27.2 aid station stuck the rest of the way. That was - I would get to the station, eat and drink a bunch, feel much better, that would last about 4-ish miles and then I would grind on until I got to the next aid station. 32.6 came at about the right time. Just to show how tight my calorie need was at this point, I had to have broth instead of raman because it wasn't ready. I had the rest of my usual. The next aid station came after a small 4-ish mile loop and I was READY to eat when I got back at mile 36.4. I got everything I wanted there, picked up my headlamp, and headed back out the stick portion of the back to get home.

The nice part here is that for a few miles I saw other racers still on their way out. Seeing just how rough they looked and knowing I was through all they had to do, made me feel a bit better about myself. Does that make me a bad person? Probably, but at that point I needed whatever could give me a lift. As I was navigating this stretch to the aid station at mile 41.7, a few things sunk in. First, that ropes course thing I mentioned, that was hard to do going up at like mile 28? Well now I was going to have to do it going down at around mile 41. It was also getting dusky, and a bit chillier. Lastly, my definition of what was "uphill", meaning I should hike it, kept getting closer and closer to level grade.

Well, not too much to report, and with a lot of mental effort, I navigated the ropes and made my way into the last aid station at 41.7. As I pulled up, the tent seemed to be getting a bit rowdy. Now mind you I was the only racer their, but there were a handful of volunteers. Two ladies were in matching full body Christmas themed PJ's. One of them had on what I can only describe as a Duffman-esque belt with beers loaded in it. The other lady, casually mentioned it was her birthday, and within seconds a bottle appears and they all are doing rounds of shots to celebrate. I did not join in, and it did make it difficult to get the stuff I needed (Raman noodle prep was taking second place to shot consumption), but it was entertaining. I also was mentally trying to gear myself up for the long haul home. The course was long by almost a mile, so I would have to traverse almost 10 miles without an aid station. And one other thing kept bouncing around in my head. Another runner I was with for a while earlier, had talked about how the profile showed much of the last 5 or so miles was uphill. At the time I couldn't remember the profile looking that way, but I tucked that away too just in case. So at that aid station, I ate two potatoes, raman, and a couple cups of coke along with filling up the bladder with water and the soft flask with tailwind.

This is the part of the report where I wish I could tell you how great I felt and powered through the miles and hit the finish line feeling great. I wish I could tell you that. Instead it was a lot of mentally whipping myself to go (the only way to get this done any faster is to run ninny), I thought a lot about what dinner would be, and I also realized just how much any sort of grade up OR down seemed to hurt my legs pretty badly. And that 5 miles was definitely a LOT of uphill, and now in the dark and cold. And one last part I should have thought of was that all the sections that were mucky when I ran through them before, were an absolute shoe sucking mess when I got back to them. I did just keep reminding myself the goal was the finish, last year at this time I was still in a walking boot, this was my choice and for whatever reason I think this is fun, and again, the quickest way to finish is to run a little. I did eventually make it to the finish where the announcer called out my name before I finished, the crowd cheered, and I was even able to smile in a picture one of Jeff's friends took at the finish.

So now my first ultra is under my belt, and I once again have to remind myself to look back a bit before I look forward. The fact that I was in a boot at this time last year wondering just when I would feel "normal" again, is something I need to keep in focus. Very few things go in a straight line of progression, and I/my development is no different. Much of our strength and fortitude comes from those moments when we are knocked down. It is also nice to have a group that understands and supports through that struggle. Family was there as were a good number of EN folks. You never know how just a little bit of support can be just what that person needed to keep fighting. Many of you have no idea just how much those little acknowledgements meant to me and I can only hope to provide back in kind should you ever need.

There are a few lessons that I thought might be the case but were confirmed with this:

1. My training needed even more grade up AND down traning. Coming off of ankle surgery I didn't push this quite as much as I thought I would need to, and I was right. I don't think my quads would have been quite so trashed if I had. I will add more focus to time, not just miles, so that I can be content with tough grade/hill work.
  2. My nutrition plan needs work. I thought it would, and wanted to use this to help me figure out what works and what doesn't. Anything sweet does me no good it seems. I will definitely have to work on this (and how to transport it) before I toe the line again.
  3. I was super pleased with last minute gear purchases and will incorporate a number of those going forward. I was also happy that the conditions being far from ideal, didn't throw me off my game. Basically it is what it is and I needed to adjust to it.
  4. My feet felt totally beat up. Not a surprise given the number of hours on the move, but I will want to try and find ways to spend more time on my feet in prep as well as identify footwear that helps reduce that stress.

So if you have read to this point, stand up, get some feeling back in your legs, and please let me know your thoughts in the comments below.

I do also want to thank @Jeff Horn specifically for being such a gracious host. I hope someday I can repay the kindness as you made me feel extremely welcome in a city I had virtually no familiarity with.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Grats again @Scott Giljum , thats a real come back and you should be proud of it.

Being on my first ultra season, I agree with you on lesson #1, I believe we have to be fast at slow pace, as such we need to work hard on the climbing power hike so that can climb faster in an efficient way.

for lesson 4 - no socks aha.. honestly, I wear no socks but tape my feet and I get no blisters (in my n=2 experience)

The last mile always look like they are the hardest, I believe its the moment to regroup and get your things up in your mind so your feet keep moving.

good job again, rest well and see you in 15 weeks ! =)

• Options

@Scott Giljum great report! I am currently training for my first 100K (June 2019) and also calling it a come back!!

Great to read the story and always something to take to any next race! Congrats on the finish!

• Options

@Scott Giljum I'm really glad this race worked out for you. Never wished that your NFEC race was cancelled, but cool that you made it. Super stoked that you did so well at this race. As I was struggling toward the loop at the end of the stick, I started counting people coming towards me (I was the rough looking one). I fully expected to see you before I hit the loop. Overall I think a great result for you and some great lessons for your run at Leadville!

• Options

@Scott Giljum congrats on your first ultra! Starting off with a 50-miler is badass! Love hearing your comeback story. Don't really get people's backstory on the GroupMe chat.

You did a very thoughtful analysis, so not much to add. The one recommendation I have is consider using the navigation on your GPS watch. It is especially helpful for smaller races where the course is not well marked. I'd say anecdotally the biggest issue I hear in ultras is getting lost. I've always been super paranoid about getting lost, so always used navigation on my succession of Fenix watches. At the Bear 100, I had a number of runners come backwards down the course saying it was the wrong way. The good news is that it would be hard to get lost at Leadville because there are so many other runners! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Looking forward to racing Leadville with you!

• Options

Congrats on your success.... Its a long day with lots of decisions (not to mention all the ones leading into the race) you made all the right ones to get you to the finish line. 1. more hills yes but maybe you did just the perfect amount your body/ankle could handle, dont second guess that one, and careful going forward, to prevent over doing more hills. 2. I liked your nutrition plan and am convinced that is the way to go, for simplicity, weight, management etc, carry fluids to drink, carry blocks/gels/or whatever non-sweet calories you can tolerate, maybe bump it up to 3-4 blocks instead of two, then eat at will at the aid stations, this should work even if 10 miles between every aid station, calories are calories just get em down. 3. glad your gear purchases worked 4.Not that this would have made a difference on your feet and I have yet to do either on a 50 but, Did you lube feet? Did you change socks? Oh and I hate to tell you that is just how your feet feel. In the book fixing your feet he says if you run 10 miles every day you will have 10 mile feet, at some point you have to do the time on the feet (train them) they will adapt somewhat :-) Leadville here we come!

• Options

having done the comeback thing more than once, I really identified with a lot of what you were going through. Good things come to those that heal and wait. Looking forward to seeing where the ultra journey takes you next. Congrats on this epic achievement!

• Options

Great job @Scott Giljum !!! Amazing day and a great comeback.

• Options

Boom! Congrats!

• Options

Thanks for the great report. Iโ€™m training for my first ultra.. a 50K in May. Mine will not have as much elevation as yours, but I definitely see a lot of good lessons here. Did you put a second pair of shoes and socks in your drop bag? Would it have helped?

• Options

Thanks everyone for the comments and congratulations. The at a boys are a fun part of what we do.

@tim cronk I will up the blocks I eat, but I will have to work in different flavors or something. I like the margarita flavor a lot, but over that many hours, I lose interest/the ability to choke them down. As to the feet part, just to be clear, my feet just felt like they were beat up, as if someone paddled the bottom of my feet. I did lube my feet but did not change socks or shoes. I think it is more to your point that I didnโ€™t have 50 mile feet based on my training.

@Leslie Knight I did have socks in each drop bag because of the rain forecast. After talking to the race organizer, I put shoes in my mile 31-ish drop bag as it would have us past a bunch of possible creek crossings/ foot wettings. I did NOT end up changing socks or shoes all day as my feet never really got super wet. I thought about changing shoes, but I was already running in a pretty thick stack height shoe and my replacement was basically the same so I didnโ€™t think it would provide much relief. I could see an argument being made about compression on the shoe through the day, but again, just rolled with what I was in.

• Options

Congratulations @Scott Giljum !! 100 miles sounds brutal.

Some ideas on nutrition to carry are baggies of salted mashed potatoes, little squares of potato bread with nut butter, thermos of warm cream of rice cereal (support crew). Did you do caffeine?

• Options

Thanks @Sheila Leard, though it was โ€œonlyโ€ 50 miles (plus some for getting lost as well as they made it a touch long). I most certainly did caffeine. I used both caf and no caf tailwind plus coke at aid stations.

My biggest question with those suggestions is if Iโ€™m staying at a hotel, how do I prepare that?