Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Michael Blackburn 2019 Official Coach Thread

@Mike Blackburn -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Thanks for checking back in. I'm excited to work with you towards the half. I think your baseline for this is really solid, and glad to hear you've been focusing on strength through your CrossFit program.

I think the next best step is to transition you into the OutSeason, we can drop your strength to just twice a week but increase the run frequency. Lots of short runs will help you cut that weight quickly and position you to be ready for your race.

I think that you're Blue Ridge Camp experience will be the perfect"volume pop" To get you ready For Choo. Don't bring the TT bike, but you'll want to have it locked on the trainer for the OS and beyond.

Once we get through the first 4 weeks of the OS, let's connect to revise/set goals for CHOO!!

Your Races

• Blue Ridge Cycling Camp 5/1 to 5/5/19
  • Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga (2019-05-19) #70.3Chat_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/28/2018
  • Maintain current fitness plan through 1/6/19
  • On 1/7/2019  Load the    OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
  • On 3/18/2019 Load the  -- EN*Half Run Focused to end on 5/19/19
  • On 5/20/2019 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 06/02/2019

Your Notes

(12) Ironman races since 2009 including Lake Placid, Wisconsin, Coeur d'Alene, Los Cabos, Canada (Penticton), Mont Tremblant, Chattanooga, Kona and Challenge Roth. About (12) 70.3 races as well as several marathons including Boston. 

Current fitness is about level 6 on a 1-10 scale and about 15lbs. heavier (165lbs.) than race weight (148-150lbs.)Running 2-3 days/wk. (5-6 miles) and Cross-Fit 2-3 days/wk. (1 hour) last three weeks. Since Roth on 7/1/18, mostly rode the road bike occasionally and trained 3 days/wk. during September and October for a mountain bike race. 

Planning on participating in 2019 Blue Ridge EN Camp 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Hey coach P, just checking in to revise my plans for the year and get your take. My training for the first month has been a little spotty, but my fitness level is better than expected. Cardio wasn't great initially but I have felt strong. I think the cross-fit was really a great change of pace and a solid strength-builder. I took the week of 1/28 off to deal with and pass a kidney stone. All is well.

I tested on the bike last week and my FTP is 239, (the highest I have ever been before Kona with a lot more training was 249). Due to weather, I haven't tested on the run, but am feeling strong with cardio improving nicely. Running about 25 miles/week. ACL reconstruction on right knee is holding up with ramp-up in volume and it is recovering between workouts, (unlike the past couple of years. I took 5 months off from running 7/2/18 - 12/31/2018). My guess is I could run about a 19:30-20:30 for a 5k.

This is my plan for events:

Blue Ridge Camp (5/1-5/5)

Chattanooga 70.3 (5/19) - (Goal = Sub 5 hour)

Traverse City 70.3 (8/25) - (Goal TBD determined upon whether already qualified)

70.3 World Championship (9/7-9/8)

Would you recommend any changes to the above plan? At this point, planning to change from outseason to Half plan on 3/18.

Thanks Coach!

Mike

• Options

@Mike Blackburn Thanks for the update! I don’t have any changes to your training plan at all. I like where you’re at, and I like how you’re progressing. I’d like to see how your body handles the transition in March as to whether or not we need to make any further changes. I think the cycling volume at the Blue Ridge camp will serve you well for Chattanooga so it’s not like we need to “rush” any fitness in to your system this early.

My biggest concern is run consistency. Don’t worry about wrapping up the volume too much during else season. We just want to stack up those back to back to back weeks of consistent running which will really set the tone for the rest of the year

• Options

Thanks Coach! Are you thinking that I should transition to a half Ironman plan in March?

• Options

@Mike Blackburn Yes, based on the Triathlon Season RoadMap From above, I think 3/18 is a good target for you to make that transition!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks Coach!

Mike