Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Dave Mehl Official Coach Thread

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Great to have you back on the team, and ready to get to work! We of new plans in new focus points for you this season, and I think you will be pleased with the changes.

The most important thing that we've implemented is a focus on render ability which now permeates all of our plans. This means a little less running intensity but overall, a healthier you. As you will see from the out season training plans this quite an emphasis on the bike and bike intensity as well as some training on Zwift. There's a lot to get up to speed on, but we're here to help you out!!

I have loaded your OS plan, but not the Half plan as I am rewriting them this month!

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 St George (2019-05-05) #70.3SG_19
  • Ironman 70.3 Wisconsin (2019-06-16) #70.3WI_19
  • Ironman Lake Placid (2019-07-28) #IMLP_19 
  • Ironman Louisville (2019-10-12) #IMLOU_19

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on 05/16/2019

• On 1/7/2019  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
  • On 3/18/2019 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 5/5/2019
  • On 5/6/2019  Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 7/21/2019
  • On 7/22/2019 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/18/2019
  • 8/4/2019  Load the  -- Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 9/14/2019
  • 9/1/2019  Load the    EN*Full Bike Focused  to end on 10/13/2019
  • 10/14/2019 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 11/10/2019
  • 11/11/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/8/2019</p>

Your Notes

IM 70.3 Racine 2012, 2014, 2015 all in 5:30ish

IM 70.3 Steelhead 2015 (5:30)

IM 70.3 Oceanside 2016 (5:45)

Door County Half 2016 (5:45)

IM 70.3 Wisconsin 2017 (6:00)

IM 70.3 Muncie 2017 (5:30)

IM Wisconsin 2013 (12:50 with EN)

IM Wisconsin 2015 DNF (bike crash)

IM Wisconsin 2016 (12:50)

Various other shorter races 2012-2018, including an Olympic in 2018Completed Madison Marathon early November. Back on bike trainer since then, with less running. Master’s swim team since October (third year?). Beachbody resistance training and HIIT.

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?

• What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)

• Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)

• End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)

• End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

• General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

• Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

• Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

• Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Thanks Coach! I'm likely going to have to drop IM 70.3 St George due to finances and family schedule

I'll consider this season a success if I can improve on the run at IMWI 70.3 and IMLP. I'd love to get back down to 5:30 overall at IMWI 70.3 (it was really hot two years ago there) and PR at the IM distance, even if by a little. I'm not sure what my chances of that happening are, comparing IMWI to IMLP.

I'd also like to improve body composition, as it has gotten away from me more than I would prefer in the last two years.

My biggest limiter right now seems to be leg strength. Cardio conditioning is fine, but my legs usually get tired first. Swimming is not a strong suit either, but I do my best in the limited time I have at the pool.

• Options

Thanks for checking in! If you have to drop St. George that’s probably better anyway. It allows you to complete the full 14 weeks of the outs season program. Now is a great time to work on making a few fundamental body composition training changes. Please go to learning/courses to see the nutrition course. We will get your legs back with Run durability. How often are you running each week?

• Options

@David Mehl

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:
    • Bike Fitness:
    • Run Fitness:
    • Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory, 2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness: 2
    • Bike Fitness: 2
    • Run Fitness: 2
    • Weight / Body Composition: 1

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far? --------->More consistent running
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?------------>Body comp/weight loss
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?------------> Yes!

• Options
    edited February 21, 2019 11:53AM

@David Mehl Thanks for the kind words, and nice to see the steady progress. That run durability will pay dividends all year, I promise!

Only a few more weeks until you transition out to the Half Plan. I see you were swimming until recently, will you return to that? No real need, but just wondering.

As we approach the plan change, you might want to preview the plan to see what is in store for you. You can do that on Final Surge under Training Plans / View My Plans.

~ Coach P

PS - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better. 

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

• Options

Hi Coach. I’m still swimming with the master’s team, but life gets in the way a lot, so I’m not very consistent. I usually swim 1-2 times per week. Which I don’t feel like is enough to make much improvement, unfortunately.

I noticed in your write up of the new long course plans that there are only 2 swims per week, until the last few weeks? Swimming is not my favorite, so not really complaining, just figured there’d be more.

I know you have me scheduled to start the HIM plan on 3/18, but I am leaving on a spring break trip 3/22-3/31, so I was thinking of staying in the JOS through that time, then starting the HIM plan on 4/1. The week I’m gone I’m actually hoping to get outside for some running and maybe even a ride or two! So it would be pretty un-structured, but maybe a good transition? I’m running a half marathon on 3/17, so I’ve been adding some time to my long runs. Maybe I could add a little time to the long ride, too, in March? Probably not ideal for 70.3 Wisconsin, but such is life with a kindergartener and a fourth grader.

• Options

Thanks for checking in. There is a swim supplement you can add more. Honestly, until you have maximized the bike and the run I do not see a requirement to swim more.

I like your plan to continue the out season. It will be great for you to spend some time outside. For your body, and your mind. Do not worry too much about Wisconsin at this point we will tackle it once you are through your trip ! 👍

• Options

@David Mehl

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella.

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal.
    • Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space.
    • We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.
    • Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point.
    • You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track.
    • You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change.
    • If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over.

Key components of your final push should include:

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.
    • A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!
    • Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.
    • Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary.
    • 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page.

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season.

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started.

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

• Options

Hi Coach. Sorry for the delay in responding to my coaching thread. I've been training along, finishing up my OS plan in late March before a spring break trip, then I started the 70.3 minimalist plan on April 1. I ran a hilly half marathon on St. Patrick's Day and was happy that I was able to finish within a few minutes (slower) of my time on the same course from 2016.

I was able to get outside on my road bike while in Mississippi for spring break, and while it wasn't structured training, it was nice to be out on the road again.

A few weeks ago I competed with my master's swim team in the Illinois State meet. I swam the 1650, 500, and 100 freestyle plus a few other medley and relay events. I was a little slower than previous times, but not by much and my 100 free was about the same. So I was happy to see that when I felt like I was going to swim much slower heading into the meet due to lack of consistent swimming. Would the pace from one of those events be good to use as T-pace in the training plans?

Since I'm starting IMLP training plan on 5/6, I tweaked the 70.3 plan such that I'm in Week 17 right now - didn't think I needed the taper weeks a month ahead of IMWI 70.3. What suggestions do you have for training/racing the 70.3 while in the middle of IMLP training? At Wisconsin, I'd like to finish faster than my 2017 race (6:10ish in HOT conditions), but not at the expense of really interrupting IM training for a full taper.

One more thing - I decided to purchase a Stryd powermeter. I just ran with it for the first time today. I'm excited and hoping that it will help me pace the run better during the race(s). I was thinking of accumulating a bunch of data over the next month or so before taking a hard look at the data to figure out to use it in a race. Do you think that's a good idea? Any tips for using Stryd are gladly accepted!

Sorry for the long post - I'll try to check in more often!

• Options

@David Mehl - I think you can use the 100 time from your 500 as the T-pace For your training. Kudos to you for racing a Swim Meet. You are tougher than me! 💪

Our guidance for racing a Half in an IM Build is Link in the Wiki but I am putting here as well...basically we want you to race the 70.3 even though you won't have the fluency with the Zones. Last thing we want to do is push IM effort but Fro only half the time! 😱

+++++++++ From the Wiki ++++++++++++

How To Insert A Race -- Race Week Templates

What you do the week of the race is a function of the priority you assign to the race: A, B, or C.

“A” Race: You want to do very well on this race. Your goal is to perform at your best, then pick up your normal training schedule as soon as possible.

1. Follow the regular training week of your plan through Tuesday; then:
    2. Wednesday is a 90' brick as a 70' Bike and a 20' Run. The bike includes 6 x 3' (4') at goal race effort. The 20' run is done as 10' in Zone 4/TP off the bike, then 10' steady in Zone 2/MP.
    3. Thursday is a 45' run with Strides (swim also if race is on Saturday).
    4. Friday is a 45' swim including a Main Set of 3 x 100 (20) at Goal Race Effort, then 400 pull easy/steady, then 3 x 100 (20) at Goal Race Effort. If your race is on a Saturday, then Friday is OFF.
    5. Saturday (Day Before) is OFF / Carbo Load / Check In & Register.
    6. After the Race, use the appropriate Post Race Template above.

“B” Race: You want to do well enough at the race that you don’t feel like you’ve wasted your time or money, but you want the race to have as little impact on your training for your AAA race as possible. Adjust your pre-race training schedule accordingly:

“C” Race: The race is truly just another training day, with limited impact to your training on the front-end especially. 

• Normal schedule all week, including the long run on Thursday. Lighten up the swim on Friday. If Saturday race, race and then take Sunday off. If Sunday race, do Saturday ride, cutting the volume but keeping the intervals. Race Sunday.
    • Pick up the appropriate Post Race Template Week.

• Options

Thanks for the tips on the 70.3 - it's going to be my 10th race at the 70.3 distance and I'd like to do better than when I raced this event in 2017, so I think I'm going to treat this as an "A" race.

I started the Race Prep Full Distance (bike focus) plan for IMLP last week - seems to be going well so far. I just wish it would warm up some more! :)

A couple of admin questions about IMLP - when I look in the race database, it lists the race date as 8/3/19 for me and a handful of others. But for a few other people, it shows the correct 7/28/19 date. Probably not a big deal, but just curious why the difference. I tried to join the groupme for the race, but I haven't seen any recent discussion. I hope I'm in the right place for that. It seems the forum thread for IMLP got pushed to the back of the pack? Either that or I'm blind as a bat. Anyway, just curious if I'm missing out on a bunch of good discussion or maybe that just hasn't started up yet?

Last but not least, since I had to cancel my other epic (to me) race adventure of IM 70.3 St George, I may have gotten a little crazy and signed up for IMKY (Louisville). Ok, I did sign up for it. :) I figure I've got 11 weeks between IM's to recover and ramp up again - hopefully I can even carry over some LP fitness into KY. Plus it's the state I grew up in and is on my list of races to do. Anyway, can you add that to my race list for this year?

Thanks Coach!

• Options

The date difference was just an error when the form is set up — sorry for the mixup. If it’s listed as 2019 those are the people racing it! Before I do it is there and @scott dinhofer is doing his best to get the mojo going so feel free to participate. Each group me group is different so I can’t attest to that. Your best bet is to start posting to create momentum. Yes, I will add Louisville to your schedule for sure, but I can’t add up in the database for you. Hopefully your progress is going well keep me posted.

• Options

@David Mehl - I updated your Roadmap ^above^  To account for the transition to Lou. I have it involving a Bit more work than normal By putting you into the Bike Focus plan for a bit. I didn't load any actual plans to Final Surge on this yet, just saving the space now! We can talk post Placid!

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick ! Quick question, though - do you really want me to use the Half Bike Focused Plan starting on 9/1 before Louisville? Or did you mean for it to be the Full Bike Focused Plan? I know it's a ways out, but wanted to ask before I forgot. Thanks!

• Options

Good catch! Ive made the edit...sorry for the hate mix up.

~ Coach P

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick. Only a few more weeks to Lake Placid - I'm getting excited/nervous/etc. :) Training has been going pretty well, I think. It'd be nice to find a way to simulate the Keene descent, but I don't have anything like that in the Chicago area that I'm aware of. I've got a couple of questions before my last race rehearsal this weekend.

I'm planning on running with power and HR. I'm a solid MOPer and hoping my watts will put me at around 10 min/mi. I had a successful first race with power at Wisconsin 70.3 - I used the pacing protocol and started at roughly 240w for 3 miles, 250w for the next 6-7, then best effort to finish right on 2:00. I thought it worked really well! Would that pacing strategy work again at LP? I was thinking 230w for 6 miles, 240w to mile 18, best effort after that. My other idea was to just hold steady watts for the entire run, with a bump after mile 18 if at all possible. I ran my 3 hour RR long run last weekend at a pretty steady 240w, and felt good enough to add on a few miles at the end at higher power.

My family and I will be arriving Thursday evening, towing our camper and staying at the KOA off of 86. I doubt I'll make it to dinner on Thursday, but I look forward to meeting you on Friday at the 4 keys talk. Thanks for all the plans, videos, and tips so far! Looking forward to a fun race weekend!

• Options

No worries on the dissent, bonus if you have the opportunity to practice it on race week.

I like your plan for running steady Watts at 2:40. It’s important to remember the course that Lake Placid is net downhill on the way out, I’m not a pill on the way back.

So you will likely see Lower Watts on the way out, maybe between 220 and 230 for some of those portions. But on the way back it will be difficult on the first lap to keep the water down to 240. I still encourage you to do that so we can be strong in the second half. It’s all about the last 6 miles into town!!

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick finally getting home later today from our big IMLP/Northeast vacation. Wanted to check in to see if you still think the roadmap above is the right course based on my performance at LP. I like the look of the bike focus plan, so I’m in if you think it’s right. If so, what intensities do you recommend for some of the first few workouts? It says see coach notes, but I’m not seeing them. Thanks!

• Options

FWIW, forgot to mention that I took Mon-Fri after the race completely off, then ran an easy 5k Saturday and today (Sunday). No access to pool or bike until I get home and I was itching to do something active. 😁

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Traverse City (2020-08-30) #70.3TraverseCity_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•   Last updated by Coach on November 19, 2019
    • On 11/4/2019  Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/01/2019
    • On 12/2/2019  Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/29/2019

Bonus Week here of Free Training

• On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks  to end on  04/12/2020
    • On 4/13/2020  Load the    Swim Camp  to end on  4/26/2020
    • On 4/27/2020  Load the  -- Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks)  to end on  6/7/2020
    • On 6/8/2020  Load the  -- EN Half Bike Focused  to end on  8/30/2020
    • On 8/31/2020  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  9/13/2020

Your Notes

2019: IMLP 13:42; IMLou 12:02 (no swim); currently doing run durability and focusing on losing weight. Tentatively planning a run streak for the remainder of 2019 and into 2020. Thinking about running my first 50k in April. Also hoping my wife will say yes to IMWI. 😁. I need to keep things relatively local in 2020 due to a couple of planned family vacations. 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick! Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I've been training and following the plans, just in a bit of a mental funk , really since IM Louisville and not as enthusiastic about training and racing. Anyway, since we last talked, I went ahead and signed up for Ironman Wisconsin in the event that I decide to not race, I could defer. Then just in the last month while talking with le wife about plans for the year, she gave me the green light to race Wisconsin! So I'm getting excited again now.

I haven't signed up for the 50k in April yet. Somehow I managed to win the Holiday Run Challenge (wtf?) and have been averaging 30 miles or so running since the beginning of November. My current run streak stands at 48 days as of today (Monday Feb. 10). I tried the weekend runs of the 50k training plan beginner week 2 (11 miles each day - double YOLO!) and it seemed to go ok. Legs were pretty heavy-feeling this morning, but I still got up and ran 3 miles on the TM.

The 50k I'm considering is the Mad City Ultras (in Madison of course) on April 18 - it looks like a relatively beginner friendly course to me since it's mostly on paved paths around Lake Wingra. What do you think about this still fitting into my season? One concern I have is dropping the outseason weekend bike. With IMWI in play now, I don't want to regress on the bike and then have more to make up before the summer.

Thanks! I hope to be a more frequent visitor to my coaching thread! :)

• Options

@Dave Mehl no worries...as long as you know where to find me, we'll be good. I'm looking out for you! We have balanced ultra plans available now, so you could still get ultra fit and then pivot to the IM build. Given how much running you've done and the distance to #IMWI, why the hell not?

Here is what the balanced one looks like now. So you'd still have 2 bikes...and usually we reduce or eliminate the run on those days (depending on your #runstreak goals), and go form there. We could do the ABP on the weekend for example....lots of flexibility.

You have 9 weeks to go...what do you say?

🤣

• Options

@Coach Patrick I'm in! I signed up for the 50k! Thanks for the push. I'm looking forward to checking out the ultra scene. The course is not super epic or anything - it's all paved and consists of a 10k loop around a lake and through the arboretum. I don't have much experience running on trails, so I thought this would be a good course to start with. Given that type of non-technical, not super hilly, course, should I be targeting something closer to my Z1 power/pace/HR? And should I be running the weekend runs at that pace for the prescribed time? My Z1 is 10:00-10:30 min/mi vs. the suggested 12:00 UR pace.

I would like to stay somewhat balanced on the bike. My VO2 definitely needs some work, so should I stick with the JOS for the bike workouts or would you suggest switching to the balanced 50k plan?

Thanks!

• Options

@Dave Mehl good for you! Super excited to see what’s possible. If you haven’t already, make sure to pick out a new pair of running shoes so we can alternate them and save your legs for the whole year.

Yes, I would like you to keep at the out season bike workouts. We almost need to overlay the two plans, which I’m happy to help with. Let me know if you want me to try and work that magic.

The best way to tell me is to use the chat button at the bottom of any Endurance Nation website page with a private message and I will get on it.

I see the ideal combination being some flavor of OutSeason Bikes and then the weekend runs for the ultra.

You can stick with your zone one pace for now, off-road ultra training requires slowing down your expectations. In your case, we just don’t want to avoid speeding them up in anyway. Just steady runs are the key on the weekends to build some resiliency and prepare you for the event itself. We will be focusing on speed for the run as we hit the race prep period of your season.

• Options

@Dave Mehl this is done my friend! Enjoy that midweek OS bike pain and those adventurous weekends. Keep me posted!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick ! I appreciate it. So fast, too! My legs are already feeling the pain of this morning’s VO2 bike work. 😬

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick. As expected, my 50k on April 18 has been cancelled/postponed. Next on the chopping block is a 150k-200k hilly bike ride in the middle of June. Hoping that Traverse City and IMWI can happen as scheduled but who knows. So for now I’m planning on returning to the full JOS Through 4/12, not sure what to replace the swim camp with, then starting the bike focus block as you outlined above. I figure that will work well for the June ride if it happens then springboard me into the half/full plans for TC & IMWI. Let me know what you think and what other suggestions you have. Thanks for the document on adjusting training and the FB Live AMA! Stay healthy!

• Options

@Dave Mehl - total bummer on the 50 K, but it is absolutely the right thing to do given the circumstances. We can keep our fingers crossed on those races, and right now the best plan of action is simply to forge a head. Yes to completing the January I'll season through April 12. Once you've done that, we have some flexibility regarding swim camp. This time of year is meant to be a recovery window for you, so with no swim likely you can take an "easy" week of alternating days off with Choice Workouts (As you feel) And then get back into the regular scheduled program. You could probably start with Block and we can roll from there. How does that sound?

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick! Sounds like a plan. In somewhat of a sliver of a silver lining, my run streak continues since my spring break vacation got canceled. I was going to have to stop due to international travel logistics and schedule, but since I'm home I figure I'll carry on as long as possible. :)

• Options

Onwards then @Dave Mehl -- literally one foot in front of the other.

I feel I have been doing a lot of thinking about what having extra time means to people across the country, specifically endurance athletes like you and I. One of my concerns is that people might "over run" during this time. So I stand behind you as you continue your street, but I want to preach being a little conservative during this time.

~ Coach P