Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Matthew Goto Official Coach Thread

edited January 7, 2019 9:27PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Alright, time to lay out your season. I appreciate how candid you were in your description to me. I agree, establishing a good baseline or fitness is really important to kick off your year. I really want you to be in our OutSeason Plan as it's a great social experience and good for training discipline as well. You can join the January OS Chat Group here if you like: https://groupme.com/join_group/46887690/eA84FO

In addition to your races, we'll want to do two specific things this year:

First, sign up for a few century rides in the middle of your year June to August) to build some good bike volume. They will make riding long fun, and help to hold you accountable.

Second, we'll want to work on your run frequency, which we can build through the OS program itself. I have loaded the first week of the OutSeason®  for you, and we can go from there!

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Santa Cruz (2019-09-08) #70.3SantaCruz_19
  • Ironman 70.3 Arizona (2019-11-02) #70.3Arizona_19
  • Ironman Arizona (2019-11-24) #IMAZ_19   

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on January 7, 2019

• On 1/7/2019  Load the    OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
  • On 4/15/2019 Load the    Swim Camp to end on 4/28/2019
  • On 4/29/2019 Load the  -- Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 6/9/2019
  • On 6/10/2019 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 9/9/2019
  • On 9/10/2019 Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 11/17/2019
  • On 11/18/2019 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/15/2019
  • On 12/16/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/12/2020
  • On 1/13/2020 Load the  -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 2/9/2020
  • On 2/10/2020 Load the  -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 3/8/2020

Your Notes

I have finished five 70.3 races over the past 6 years. I would consider myself to be active and healthy - but finishing my last 70.3 at 7.5 hours, I have a lot of work to do mastering my Swim, Bike, Run, Nutrition and Mental Strength to prepare for my first 140.6 in November (IRONMAN Arizona). I workout daily, either a self guided run/bike/swim or a class at Orangetheory Fitness. I can run a sub 6 min mile - giving it my absolute everything - but I'm a steady 6 miles per hour if running longer than 2 miles. I don't really know what I'm doing in the pool or on the bike - I can keep myself moving but knowing more mechanics of those disciplines. I've "winged it" for five 70.3 races (and finished each one) but I want to be a smarter triathlete and feel great going into IRONMAN Arizona this November... and leaving with a medal and my pride still in tact! 

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?

• What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)

• Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)

• End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)

• End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

• General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

• Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

• Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

• Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Hey, Coach P! I have really enjoyed listening to the EN podcasts and reading my way through the forums!

I apologize for not responding earlier - to be 100% honest I didn't take the initial time to read the message when I received it and thought it was an auto response. I'm really glad I reread everything and wanted to be sure to set-up my call (scheduled with Brenda this week) and answer your questions!

• What will make you consider this season a success?

-Finishing IRONMAN Arizona would make this season a success! And not just "finishing" but feeling good, confident and enjoying the race.

• What's your biggest limiter right now?

I have been doing the workouts as blocked out in Final Surge - making adjustments for work travel here and there.

The training plan didn't specify what schedule it was on Final Surge, is the plan loaded to my Final Surge account the "Out Season" training plan? The dates surpassed 4/14/2019 (OutSeason) and 4/28/2019 (Swim Camp) so I wanted to be sure I was looking at and following the correct training plan.

Thank you for identifying the plans I should plan to attend. I did want to be sure that I would be training for my first full - would the 4/29/2019 plan be the Full or Half distance training plan?

• On 1/7/2019  Load the    OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 4/15/2019 Load the    Swim Camp to end on 4/28/2019
    • On 11/18/2019 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/15/2019

And can you confirm that I am understanding the workouts correctly:

Example: Level 2 [TSS: 146, IF: 0.85]: Ride 45' steady @ Zone 2, then 45' @ Zone 3 

Description: This is the second level (harder than the 1st but easier than the 3rd). The "TSS" is the Training Stress Score(?) - How is this calculated and what tool/device is needed to measure this? The "IF" is Intensity Factor, this is based on a 1/100 scale, correct? Then the Ride is 45 minutes at a Zone 2 (heart rate) and then 45 minutes at Zone 3 (heart rate).

My next step is to submit my completed workouts into Final Surge and then upgrade my bike. And are there any specific resources you'd suggest to help me work on my nutrition as I continue to live the EN life?

Thank you

• Options

@Matthew Goto - thanks for the note!

I went to your Final Surge Account and I can see you have the OutSeason Plan plan loaded, but then there's the rest of a Full or Half plan. I am not sure why, so I am deleting it. When you hit the end of the OutSeason Plan, you'll need to load the Swim Camp plan, and the subsequent plans as well.

If you need help loading specific weeks of a plan into your account, you can find it here: https://www.endurancenation.us/help/loading-specific-plan-weeks-into-your-final-surge-calendar/

As for the workouts, yes, this is a negative split workout, where the second half is stronger. All our workouts are written "in power" even if you don't do them in power. So if you have a powermeter or train with Zwift or TrainerRoad where there is Virtual power, then you will see those numbers. If not, then we just train with your HR and the "work" will take care of itself.

In terms of nutrition, I would start with our general course heRe on Body Composition: Body Composition

We have more training specific info (and webinars) on nutrition under http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Nutrition+Central but start with the basics!!!

Keep those questions coming!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Matthew Goto

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:
    • Bike Fitness:
    • Run Fitness:
    • Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options

@Matthew Goto

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella.

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal.
    • Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space.
    • We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.
    • Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point.
    • You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track.
    • You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change.
    • If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over.

Key components of your final push should include:

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.
    • A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!
    • Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.
    • Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary.
    • 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page.

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season.

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started.

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN

• Options

I'm having trouble understanding where my different plans Start and Stop on Final Surge.

My planned races are:

• Ironman 70.3 Santa Cruz (2019-09-08) #70.3SantaCruz_19
    • Ironman 70.3 Arizona (2019-11-02) #70.3Arizona_19
    • Ironman Arizona (2019-11-24) #IMAZ_19 

And my recommended training plans are:

But when I look at Final Surge, there isn't a clear stop or start to the plans for me to know which plans are already loaded and which I need to upload.

I should be starting Week Two of the Bike Focus Block (to end of 6/9/19) but I don't know if the plan is already loaded and I'm on track - or if I need to clear out the calendar and jump load the Bike Focus Plan.

When I view my "Training Plan History" it shows that I am in the 2018 Full Bike Focused Plan (All Levels), 20 weeks which isn't what was recommended.

Coach Patrick, Brenda, Anyone - please help! haha

Thank you in advance for your help - I'd love to hit RESET on Final Surge and have the clear plan and calendar and the confidence knowing that I am on the right track and plan to be succesfyl for my upcoming 70.3 races and my first ever 140.6 in November (which is where this paranoia is coming from).

Thank you,

Matthew

PS. I ran a 5:21 mile today... my fastest ever mile to date in my 34 years on the planet. It feels AMAZING to see myself getting stronger and faster!

• Options

@Matthew Goto congratulations on running that fast. That’s incredible! I have cleared your Final Surge calendar and I have loaded the bike focus block to end on June 9. From then on out, you will need to lose your own plans according to that schedule so you are 100% in control!

If you need assistance and how to load plans by specific weeks, there is a page under the final service section of our help site here : www.endurancenation.us/help

onwards!!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hey, Coach P!

I had my Retül Bike Fit last week and started to compare my geometry with that of bikes in my price range (below). Any expert advice on which bike may be the best fit for me? I almost forgot Ventum (which I think you mentioned in a podcast you might ride) - any feedback on that brand? With a 30% EN discount I don't want to rule then out even though I don't have any experience with the brand. Thanks for any feedback! I would say that the Specialized Shiv and the Ventum Z are both top contenders.

• Options

Thanks for checking back in. It’s hard to go wrong between the specialized shiv and the ventum. One of the reasons why I like the latter was that the discount allowed me to upgrade the components in a way that also gave me a mechanical advantage.

Specifically using the Endurance Nation discount allowed me to get electronic shifting which is an incredible difference maker. I don’t know if you need an upgrade on your bike computer as well, but going Ventum may give you the opportunity to update that as well.

I suggest you put this to the team as well to get their feedback. You will get input from people who actually ride those frames which gave it may give you more insight as to how well they travel, handle different conditions, etc. You can put it in the general discussions for him. How does that sound?

• Options

Did my homework and searched every corner of the internet for a good deal... And bought this bad boy this morning! A used Specialized Shiv S-Works - with Di2 Electronic Shifting and a Quarq Power Meter! I took it for a test ride and the second I dropped into aero position knew it was meant to be! I've got a few minor tweaks to do with the fit - but will get that tuned it with my Retul fit follow-up after the holiday! But I'm off to Lake Tahoe to break it in over the next week! I actually won a Shiv on Ebay last night - so Yay for two new bikes! haha

• Options

Awesome! DI2 + Quarq = next level biking. You’re going to be a beast!

~ Coach P

• Options

Heads up I shared the picture with the Team on the Endurance Nation LIVE page on Facebook!! Hope that’s ok!

• Options

Are you able to help me figure out how to be linked with Endurance Nation for my upcoming IM triathlons? I added them when Mariah (?) sent the reminder to do it - but I'm running Santa Cruz 70.3 on Sunday and not affiliated wit EN - and need to see if EN is listed for Tempe 70.3 and Tempe 140.6... Thank you!

• Options

^Issue resolved at event registration

• Options

COOOAACHHHH P!!! I literally just got home from Ironman 70.3 Santa Cruz and made e-mailing you a priority (over taking a must needed shower)!

I've been doing 70.3 races for 6 years - 5 total 70.3's prior to joining EN 8 months ago.

I have all of my workouts printed out and carry my training notebook everywhere I go - especially across the country on my (crazy) busy travel schedule.

I have been doing my best to fulfill every workout - often moving them around to fit my (CRAZY) work and travel schedule... but today I got the "It was F'ing Worth It" moment I had been hoping for...

I PR'd today on a new (and pretty difficult course in perspective to Oceanside & Tempe).

...and not like "I saved a minute, PR" - but 1 hour, 53 minutes, 13 seconds faster than my last race and one hour and 20 minutes faster than my BEST 70.3.

I apologize in advance for the language... but I f*cking crushed it!

Being a total crazy person (hence the spreadsheet below), last week I took my BEST stand alone training times (estimated for the 13.1 run) and gave myself a "In a perfect situation" estimates - which was 6:08:00... a number I literally got mad looking at last week - thinking I just gave myself unrealistic expectations.

And what do you know... I finished 3 minutes and 59 seconds above my "perfect" day.

Side note - I got cocky early in the run and realized I could potentially go sub 6 hours if I pushed... but I learned my lesson in training that I couldn't sustain a zone 3-4 run for and hour, I'd crash and potentially blow the whole race - so I stuck to the plan.

I knew I needed coaching. I knew I needing a training plan. But I didn't expect the results I got today.

Yes, I worked my ass off to get here - but EN gave me the map.

Thank you - and on to Tempe 703 in October and my very first Full Ironman, Tempe 140.6 in November!

And now I'm hitting the shower with "The Champions" playlist streaming on Spotify loud enough for everyone on the block to hear it.

Self Proclaimed Best PR'er on the Planet,

Matthew Goto

• Options

Yes, you did all the work. Yes, you had to make all the right decisions on race day. And yes, you just made my month!

What an insane accomplishment, that’s the kind of personal best I look to see in an Iron Man, not a half. There will be other challenges to solve for sure, as racing a fall can be a different mental challenge than a half.

That said, you have earned every right to be excited for what you’ve accomplished.

Sorry I mean F$g&;(@ EXCITED! 😂

Would you mind if I use that post as a testimonial on our website? It’s a perfect fit. Let me know.

• Options

You can absolutely use that as a testimonial (but no need to share my results spreadsheet, LOL).

But please feel free to use and make any revisions/edits needed.

• Options

Hey, Coach P! Just checking in to be sure I have the correct Training Plan loaded in Final Surge.

I finished my last plan right into Santa Cruz 70.3 and started the Full Ironman Bike Focused plan on 9/10 to end on 11/24 (Race Day - adjusted from the recommended 11/17 date since the plan ended on "Race Day").

I do have Tempe 70.3 on my race schedule for October 20th, which runs right through the Full Ironman Bike Focused plan... Should I just adjust that week of the race to a taper and replace the "Race Simulation" workouts with the actual race distance on race day?

Thank you for the feedback - after a very successful Santa Cruz 70.3 I'm eager to get back into race mode and kick some ass in Tempe - with the goal of obliterating my last two finishing times (8:05 -2018, 7:39 - 2015).

Thx,

Matthew

• Options

Side Note - are there any Blue BOGO Trucker hats left to order?

• Options

Hey, Coach P! Just checking in to be sure I have the correct Training Plan loaded in Final Surge.

I finished my last plan right into Santa Cruz 70.3 and started the Full Ironman Bike Focused plan on 9/10 to end on 11/24 (Race Day - adjusted from the recommended 11/17 date since the plan ended on "Race Day").

I do have Tempe 70.3 on my race schedule for October 20th, which runs right through the Full Ironman Bike Focused plan... Should I just adjust that week of the race to a taper and replace the "Race Simulation" workouts with the actual race distance on race day?

Thank you for the feedback - after a very successful Santa Cruz 70.3 I'm eager to get back into race mode and kick some ass in Tempe - with the goal of obliterating my last two finishing times (8:05 -2018, 7:39 - 2015).

Thx,

Matthew

• Options

Hey man just picking us up after Chattanooga. Yes you should follow that basic week during the 70.3 through Wednesday. You dropped a Thursday long run is that what happened on race day. It’s essentially maintenance workouts until the race and then we are back on it for the next week.

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=How+to+Insert+a+HIM+into+Your+Ironman+Season

Yes I have more hats, but I need to get the order up first so bump me next week!

• Options

Hey, Coach P!

Well... I did it again - beat my previous PR from Santa Cruz 70.3 this weekend at Tempe 70.3 by 9:53 - almost 10 minutes faster than my (personal) record just 5 weeks ago!

Sunday was my 3rd time racing Tempe 70.3 and I had a really rough swim (literally stopped my swim to get a kayaker to help a 1st timer in full on swim panic mode) but still PR'd my best course swim by 1 minute and 21 seconds. I MURDERED my best bike time in Tempe by over 27 minutes. And beat my best course run by 46 minutes (and 26 seconds faster than my Santa Cruz run time - which means I'm sticking to my plan and training to hit my goal times)!

So overall, I beat my previous best Tempe 70.3 time by 1 hour and 37 minutes - and beat my overall 70.3 best time by 9 min 53 seconds!

I would have had an even better run - but once I did the math in my head during the bike, I knew I could hit a sub-3 bike, and I pushed too hard on my last bike loop - which I didn't feel till I tried to run - and I had an awful 1st two miles of the run till I could shake my legs out and get back in my running rhythm... Lesson learned, adding the extra 10 minutes on the bike would have probably gained 15+ minutes minutes on the run. But for someone who took 4 hours on the bike in 2018 a 2 hours and 53 minute bike time felt really damn good, haha.

I am recovering M-Wen and then its back to the training plan on Thursday till IRONMAN ARIZONA... "the big one" as I've been calling it all year long.

I am feeling stronger than ever, smarter than ever and confident that I am on track for a great race next month! =)