Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

Altitude mask-

Has anyone tried to train with an "altitude mask" ?

I need to be creative with my training for Zugspitz altitude.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I think you should save your money on this idea. https://runnersconnect.net/altitude-masks-running/

• Options

Heat training is the next best thing to altitude. There are studies on using heat for training. I will try to locate one. I agree with @Paul Hough. Don't waste money

• Options

Thanks @Paul Hough and @Tim Sullivan

I wasnt giving it too much thought, but in the interest in specificity as you get closer to the event I am exploring every option.

Here in Holland I spend a good amount of time at or below sea level with little vertical miles :)

• Options

Funny, I've been looking into this as well. The masks seem helpful to train respiratory muscles but not to simulate elevation. For true altitude simulation you need something capable of actually reducing the amount of O2 in the air you are breathing, not something that just restricts airflow.

True altitude tents and masks, those capable of actually reducing your intake of O2 do seem to have a positive training effect, but I for one can't justify the $2,000 - 5,000 investment.

Plus my wife would kill me if I tried to setup a tent around our bed.

• Options

Back in 1982, a "friend" I know well obtained a discounted purchase for a P02 Aerobic Exerciser which was naturally pimped by world class runners of the day. You looked like an emphysema patient trying to run with this thing which worked by filtered O2 through charcoal packs in the containers in the back. Four years later a well designed Master's thesis tested the device with a group of college XC runners over an 8 week period. There was no statistical difference between the test group and the control group. The device quickly went off the market either because of the study or because you just looked silly wearing it (same thing with those masks today). The attached Popular Science shows the device and a runner with it on.

• Options

thanks all- I think that I have my answer ๐Ÿ˜€