Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

2019 Tour of Sufferlandria

Comments

• Options

@Jeff Phillips - I had troubles. I deleted apps and downloaded. All good now.

• Options

Thank you @Brian Hagan I just deleted and re-downloaded. Fingers crossed for tomorrow morning!

I noticed also in your signature block -- I think IMAZ is Nov 24. At least it better be since that's when I've got hotels blocked.

• Options

@Jeff Phillips lol. I probably just guessed. Seems so far away!

• Options

@Jeff Phillips Not to your extent. Today I had 2-3 power drops that lasted a ~ 1 second. No other video/connectivity issues.

Are you streaming the video or downloading then playing?

• Options

@Derrek Sanks I download the videos and then play. I've found that's more reliable than streaming.

I did what Brian suggested and deleted the apps from my devices, then re-downloaded. I'll let the group know how tomorrow morning goes.

• Options
    edited February 3, 2019 5:27AM

I ALWAYS download the videos. Much more reliable. My SRM pairs consistently, but the minions subtract 6-8w of power to try and trick me ;-)

Stage 1 went well, particularly after a quick 3mi run. I eased into Hammers 1-3 with a cap at FTP. I am restricted to Computrainer ERG, but used cadence to jam-up a new 5s power number to finish shoveling. Hammers 8 and 9 reached true suffering. The minions demanded that I “take my beating,” and all thoughts of staying with the peleton exploded with the final attacks. The peak numbers came up just short of my efforts two weeks ago at Cruise and Crush, but its only Stage 1, right?

I continued to do as I was told, and tried to focus the “systems check” portions during Elements of Style. Again, I built through the video, but was losing power near the end. Overall an 85% effort today. Stage 2 tomorrow. Team Scream has an ugly profile, but with all of the power spikes in Half is Easy, blowing up as the finish line approaches seems like a distinct possibility. Good luck Sufferlandrians.

• Options

Stage 2 done! I got so BORED half way through Team Scream I switched the music over to Spotify and cranked some Bush to get through the last 30'. If I wasn't doing ToS, I would have bailed and started another ride.

According to my 4DP test my weakness is what Half is Easy is all about. It was hard so I dialed down the intensity down a bit to get through. Need more work on my AC.

@Jeff Phillips - I have the exact opposite issues as you. Zwift SUCKS grabbing my KICKR about 1/3 of the time. Sufferfest and TR have zero issues. I run a Mac running Mojave 10.14.2. iPad is also running the latest OS and never has issues. What tech are you running?

A Very Dark Place is my bread and butter. Actually looking forward to it tomorrow.

• Options

Stage 2 in the books. @John Stark I typically use my iPad for workouts (latest OS updated) but also use my iPhone.

Today the app picked up my KICKR instantly, but I had not moved the pedals yet on my bike. As I was getting set up in the saddle my iPad screen timed out and when I opened it back up, the app wouldn't connect to my KICKR. It would however, connect to my Quarq PM, so I rode both stages with that. I'm confused, but Sufferfest is looking into it.

• Options
    edited February 4, 2019 1:28AM

Stage 2 done. I really didn’t do my share of pulling during the Team Scream TT. While I agree that it was boring... I could learn to like that workout if I gave it my all. I personally don’t like all those sprints during Half is Easy. I’m not ready for them in JOS week 4. I’ve been doing some Ultra Short High Intensity Race Pace Training (USRPT) Swimming (25yd with 15s RI until I can’t hold the pace). I can only do them once a week.. I know that the real high power intervals will lead to a wall by the half-way point, so a kinda didn’t really do them. I just rode at Zn3 for 30min... but I did run and swim today.

• Options

@John Culberson - Good job knowing your limits.

And swimming like that is frigging hard! Good work.

• Options

Sounds like a lot of great work everyone. I did Cruise and Crush ride yesterday morning, so I took a few hour break before completing "a very dark place". That WKO was really tough! My legs were getting pretty spent from a big week of cycling. I ended up with 662 TSS in Cycling for the week. I am looking forward to GOAT tonight. It looks a bit easier than the ones we just did.

@Jeff Phillips - Another thing to think of with Bluetooth.... When your iPad times out, your Kickr may have connect to another device. I turn my iPhone Bluetooth off while pairing so my Kickr does not pair it.

@John Culberson - Funny.. I was thinking of swimming during the Tool Shed Mash-Up WKO. When you have a bunch of 50s to do, it seems like so much. Nice work keeping up with swim and run during this challenge.

I've been running the app on my iPad connected to a TV flat screen and listening to the app via Bluetooth. I really like the app and its something new to keep me engaged. I could see it getting old, but I am enjoying this challenge.

Let's keep it going!

• Options

@Brian Hagan , you're a monster! Way to string together some impressive, successive bike workouts.

I got Stage 3, "A Very Dark Place" done this morning. I really liked this one and enjoyed the above threshold intervals. My legs felt a little dead this morning but felt much better after the ride. Honor and Glory were all mine!

Coach P challenged me to run 1-2 miles after every workout and I've been able to sustain that through the first three stages.

The app couldn't even locate my KICKR this morning and I've given up fighting with it, unless Sufferfest has a fix. I connect my Quarq and ride on.

• Options

@Brian Hagan - 622 TS of cycling? Way to go! Last week was 432 for me. My highest and part of my slow ramp. Hope to break 600 at Moab Camp in March.

@Jeff Phillips - Glory IS all yours!

A Very Dark Place DONE!

Me before the ride, "49 minutes. This will be quick."

Me 42' in and during last interval, "DON'T STOP, DAMN IT! TURN THE F-ING PEDALS."

That was pretty damn hard and the last 2 intervals seemed to drag on. HR was good and legs felt OK. I need to mentally HTFU. My real weakness right now.

Also interested after watching Elements how I am aware how fast my shoulders come up to my ears and arms lock. Need to work on that, too.

• Options

Can you ride without their videos and watch Netflix or You Tube instead? I don't like the videos or the music selection

• Options

@Chris Ciannella - Yes. There is an option to just see the graph.

• Options

Nice work everyone!

I completed Stage 3 this morning. A great workout with an appropriate amount of suffering. I like the quick 15 min stretching/yoga routines post workout. I rarely stretch much after a bike workout, but with these videos being at my figure tips I hope to make it a habit.

• Options
    edited February 5, 2019 4:33AM

Stage 3 suited my strengths and I ended up truely suffering over the final 2 min. First three intervals at IF of 1.10 and final two at 1.18 and 1.25. As the finish line approached, I was sitting right around 300w for the second half of the final attack. I’ve always been a short course masher, so sitting up and pushing the big gears works to my strengths. I always train on my tri bike, and it crossed my mind during interval 4 that my tongue is awfully close to the stem when in aero position.

@Brian Hagan : I’ll be happy to hang with @John Stark at 432 TSS for the 9-day tour. 622 is some serious Feb training. Then again, you are already registered for Arizona... and I’m still “thinking about it.” @Jeff Phillips is bringing glory to the team, and @Derrek Sanks is quietly cranking his way to Kona. Team EN still going strong approaching G.O.A.T.

• Options

I did Stage 4 tonight after work. Started off with the strength section. I've done Sufferfest for years, but still had not done any of the workouts besides biking until tonight. I definitely need to do more strength training, but not sure this would be the right way to go. We will see how the yoga one is tomorrow.

I'm not sure if tonight was just plain easier, or if my FTP is really off, but it felt like a bit of a recovery ride. I know I need to retest......

Carry on, team!

• Options

So... I watched the strength training video. I did not follow along, because my legs are trashed right now. I think I will keep this app going, because I would love to start using those videos guide me through some strength workouts. I know that is one of the missing ingredients that I need to add to my development.

I had the same thought as @Stephanie Stevens. The workout seemed really easy at first. I was wondering if I need to calibrate my Kickr. I went down to near 50 cadence and that made it a little harder. I plant to do Full Frontal after some rest next week, as I am curious about the 4D measurements.

Omnium tonight!

• Options

I got both the Strength and G.O.A.T. session in this morning. @Brian Hagan I've been using the Strength videos for the last few months and find them useful. I like the isolation and focus on the smaller, stabilizer muscles that I often overlook. I do the Intermediate Level 4 Session B workout once or twice a week.

@Stephanie Stevens G.O.A.T. was an interesting ride, almost not like the typical Sufferfest workout where I'm drenched in sweat and gasping for air. While it was easier, I could feel the benefit of the low cadence strength work as my glutes were activating.

I did a 1-mile run on the treadmill right after.

• Options

Stage 4 is done. It was a welcome recovery-like workout. 50 cadence in ERG was too low for me to keep a fluid pedal stroke, so I was around a 60-65 cadence. For a second I thought about adding on with a Zwift ride, then came back to reality and appreciated the "easier" workout. I'll run this afternoon in 62+ temps!

• Options

Stage 4 DONE!

Did not do the strength portion as I shoveled snow for an hour + before G.O.A.T. Took that as my strength WKO.

Not sure I would call that a recovery ride for me, but my legs felt pretty darn good at the 50 RPM and my HR was a solid 15 BPM lower in each interval than the previous 3 stages. Still sweat a bit, too.

I have never done the SF strength stuff, but I do the Yoga. Will be good stretching tomorrow.

@Derrek Sanks - 62? Damn! Not even going to break 30 degrees today here or get out of the 30's for the next 10 days. Get out and run, Forrest, run!

@Jeff Phillips - "Glutes activating."? I joke that I am glute-free. :-). Need to work on that. :-)

@Stephanie Stevens and @Brian Hagan - Good work!

Ride on!

• Options

I did not like Stage 5, too many different types of effort. Glad it's done. Followed with a 2 mile run then yoga routine.

@John Stark Those temps only lasted a couple day...it's starting to get cold again.

I'm starting to wonder if there will be any type of actual performance benefit to these 9 days besides the suffering.

• Options

Stage 5 is complete. Well at least the riding part. I set an all-time 1 minute power personal best, so I am pretty happy with that. I ran 2 on the TM after. I will check out the yoga video this evening.

There is still 400 TSS left for the week!

• Options

Stage 5 in the books. I did the Yoga session first -- I used to like these, but I do find the app's Strength routines more beneficial.

I did The Omnium right after. I've always found this workout taxing given the multiple pace and power changes, but it's so different from the steady-state riding that I do enjoy it. Plus, it was nice blowing by people in Zwift during the intervals :)

@Derrek Sanks do you not think you'll see any improvement after the nine days?

• Options

Stage 5 DONE! First day where I felt fatigue in my legs.

Noticed @Tom Glynn popped up on my Zwift Companion app this morning as starting to ride so he FaceTimed me and we chatted (when I could actually talk) during the ride. He has a 3 hour IM pace ride to do so he was the talker. :-) He was glad to have the company. I am way better looking than his avatar. :-)

The thing I like best about SF is the ever changing types of WKO's. SST work gets so boring for me now after all these years. Nice for me mentally to mix things up.

Also crazy was how during the biggest efforts I was out of my saddle putting as much power on the pedals as I could but couldn't get up to watts prescribed. Left me gasping for sure.

Back at it tomorrow.

• Options

Congrats @Brian Hagan on the all time record!

@John Stark - Glad you had company on your workout...it does make the time pass quickly

@Jeff Phillips - I'm not sure. I would hope so, but since I didn't test before the start, I won't know. Yes, my bike CTL will get a nice boost, which is a big benefit. I was due for a FTP test the week ToS started but decided to test after the tour. My plan is to recover for 3-5 days with a few easy rides, then test.

• Options

Don’t look at the next 4 stages. Just don’t. 🤬🤬🤬🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤢🤢🤢🤢

• Options
    edited February 7, 2019 3:19AM

Stage 4: Short Big Gear Intervals in Switzerland. Some good work without much suffering. I’m looking forward to a bike-oriented Swiss vacation in July. While not specifically climbing focused, I’ll accumulate close to 200mi and 20K vertical. My SAU load will be high... and everyone else will be on 250w e-bikes. (Kinda like that scooter leading out the Keirin on Omnium.)

Speaking of Omnium... Stage 5 was a ball-buster. I stuck with the target wattage, and The Kilometer was the most that I have suffered in a long time. A true 100% effort. I backed off on the Points Race, but saw some PR’s on TP. 1 min power: 402w (8th All-Time, best in 4 years). I had a great 3mi trail run at first light. Tomorrow, I end a record 2 week block at work as well. I’ve been walking and standing A LOT.

I’m sure that this will increase my bike fitness, but if I don’t back it down and settle for some sweet spot... I doubt that I’ll be able to stay with the attacks this weekend. I agree that 9 days of hammering may NOT be the BEST way to improve fitness, but its a great challenge to provide some bike focus.

• Options

Stage 6 in the books. I had to get up ridiculously early today to get it done (4:15 am), due to a 7 am work meeting coupled with a snowy commute.

I tested Full Frontal last week and feel good where my FTP and other Sufferfest metrics are at, but am wondering if they are off. Dare I say I found the workout relatively easy? Challenging for sure, but I was never at the point where I was thinking I am not going to finish the 40 min climb.

I listened to the Positive Self Talk lesson on the drive in. Helped me change my thinking from "The streets are terrible, I'm going to slide off the road" to "This is improving my driving skills for when the next Ice Age and Zombie Apocalypse arrive". :)

For people in the Jan OS that are also doing the Tour, how soon after are you re-testing for the bike? Are you going to wait 4 weeks or rest a couple of days and then test?