Homeโ€บ Community Forum ๐Ÿ 
Options

"The Antidepressant" Run

I ran a scheduled training session today, but did NOT stick to the prescribed workout. I've been feeling some anxiety and depression lately and in lieu of a "good cry" I decided to run.

Interested to hear how many of you use running as an antidepressant? And by an "antidepressant" I mean literally instead of medication.

Comments

• Options

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a rough time. This time if year is tough for a lot of people. I do think that running can help.

I've found that a bike ride or a run is a great way to improve or at least level off my mood. I have also found that being outside helps (indoor workouts do not have the same effect for me, although they do help some, just more muted). It does not seem to matter if I run in the dark, it's the being outside and running parts that are key.

The most memorable example of this is on September 11th. I was in a meeting when it happened. We watched on TV. I went to HS in northern NJ within site of the Empire State Building so, even though I have lived in North Carolina since 1990, it still hit close to home. After work, I went for a bike ride. It definitely helped me get a grip.

• Options

@Janyne Kizer Thanks for the words... I dont think that what I am feeling is anything that 99% of the population feels. Through my meditation practice I am very aware of my emotions and it is easy for me to put a label on it. No judgement or shame.

I lived in NYC during 9/11 so I understand you what you feel. I stood on the Queensboro Bridge bridge and watched a lot of it unfold.

I recently listened to a Rich Roll podcast (one of my favorites) and he had a guest on that described what other countries considered "antidepressants", and non of them were drugs. So it prompted the question.

• Options

Running definitely helps to stabilize my moods. It could be as simple as giving me time to process things.

• Options

totally agree with you ! i often solve working problems while running. It happens a lot i can find an issue while working on something and just go run and find it.

also just being outside helps the mind too.

• Options

@Francis Picard I agree with you as well. Mother Nature does wonders for the mind, body, and soul!

• Options

@Patrick Large - I can't agree with this thread more. Ever read the book "born to run?" Running was a part of the human experience early on, it served many purposes, the runner's high is a literal effect of running. I learned as a teenager that I'd go out for a run and I'd feel better.

When my oldest daughter was in HS, she told me she ditched school because she was anxious and just needed to go for a run to feel better. I was awesomely happy that she now had this tool in her bag to pull out anytime, anywhere in her life.

I stopped going to therapy a few years ago and feel like a much better person just using endurance sports to squelch the monster within!

• Options

@scott dinhofer thanks for chiming in. You are correct, the runner's high is a literal effect of running."

And mother nature is as good a therapist office as you can get.

@Francis Picard you are spot on man!