Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Ken Mclaughlin Official Coach Thread

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Thanks for checking in...some beefy performances from you, my friend. 💪 And some solid goals ahead. I recommend that you load up our Balanced Marathon plan so you can get focused for London over the next few weeks and keep up the Zwifting (so critical). I think you've done that already, so our work now has to be on reconciling the work you normally do with the plan...we can do this on our Coach Call: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/weektwo

Then we can talk about transitioning through the rest of your year. Remember i you need to load specific weeks into your Final Surge Calendar, here's how: https://www.endurancenation.us/help/loading-specific-plan-weeks-into-your-final-surge-calendar/

Your Races

• 04/28/2019 London Marathon
  • Ironman 70.3 Traverse City (2019-08-25) #70.3TraverseCity_19
  • Ironman Arizona (2019-11-24) #IMAZ_19 

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on 01/30/2019

• On 1/28/2019 Load the    Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 04/28/2019
  • On 4/29/2019 Load the    Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 5/12/2019
  • On 5/13/2019 Load the    Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 07/21/2019
  • On 6/17/2019 Load the    EN*Half Bike Focused  to end on 8/25/2019
  • On 8/26/2019 Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 11/24/2019
  • On 11/25/2019 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/22/2019
  • On 12/23/2019 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 01/19/2020</p>

Your Notes

Ironman MT Tremblant 2018 10:45:16 12th AG, 

Challenge Roth Full 2018, 10:30:20

IM Kona 2017 10:59

10 FULL IMs, 

Chicago Marathon 2018 3:12:48

NYC Marathon 2018 3:15

Boston Marathon 2018 3:22Zwift riding 3 x week, running 3-4 times a week around 30 miles. Ramping up to run London Marathon April 2019 - working towards completing the Abbot 6 Majors.

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

•  What will make you consider this season a success?

•  What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

•  Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)

•  Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)

•  End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)

•  End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

•  Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

•  General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

•  Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

•  Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

•  Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

@Ken Mclaughlin - Great to talk today! Here are my takeaways from the call...

• Let's keep the long run outside.
    • After the long run, weekly volume is the most important thing...so even lots of short runs matter.
    • We will do a mid season focus on the bike Through the HALF training.
    • The goal is to boost the FTP a bit such that we can have a little bit of bandwidth on race day. Flat courses need strength; absolute watts matter!
    • Please keep me posted on your back...text me at (617) 513-3830 This weekend and let me know what you decide to do!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Ken Mclaughlin

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:
    • Bike Fitness:
    • Run Fitness:
    • Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options
    • Swim Fitness: 1
    • Bike Fitness: 2
    • Run Fitness: 2
    • Weight / Body Composition: 3

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far? Run fitness and speed have improved, but I still have some work to do to get to where I need to be.
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support? Finding time for training and now staying motivated. My daughter passed away from cancer last week, so it's hard to stay focused right now and to get the workouts in. Needless to say I have not been on-line much to look at the website or follow posts.
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend? Yes

• Options

@Ken Mclaughlin I just saw your note about your daughter...so sorry to hear Of your loss. Rather than do this via the internet, please set up a call with me so we can talk: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min I'd like to hear where you are at emotionally and physically so we can chart out the next best step for you.

• Options

@Ken Mclaughlin

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella.

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal.
    • Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space.
    • We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.
    • Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point.
    • You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track.
    • You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change.
    • If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over.

Key components of your final push should include:

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.
    • A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!
    • Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.
    • Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary.
    • 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page.

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season.

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started.

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Tokyo Marathon 3-1-2020
    • Boston Marathon 4-20-2020
    • Ironman 70.3 Steelhead (2020-06-28) #70.3Steelhead_20
    • Ironman Canada (2020-08-30) #IMCanada_20   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•  Last updated by Coach on January 3, 2020
    • On 1/6/2020 Load the -- 2019 Marathon [Balanced], 16 Weeks to end on 4/19/2020
    • On 4/20/2020 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 5/3/2020
    • On 5/4/2020 Load the -- EN Half Bike Focused to end on 6/28/2020

Transition Early

• On 6/7/2020 Load the -- EN Full Bike Focused to end on 8/30/2020
    • On 8/31/2020 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 9/27/2020

Your Notes

IMAZ Nov 2019

Berlin Marathon Oct 2019

IM Traverse City 70.3 Aug 2019

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Ken Mclaughlin I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

You are looking really strong on the bike. Your dedication in Swift is really paying off! I hope that means you can get outside in the real world and put the hurt on Brian more often. 🤣

Regarding the humidity, I totally hear you. On one hand it's important to remember that training in the heat actually brings a lot of positive adaptations. Even though the speed or power may be lower, your body is getting stronger every mile. Of course, you need to make sure that you exit each workout hydrated so recovery is important.

In terms of a long ride or long run, then the real challenge is managing your effort early. If you spike your heart rate early in the first 20 to 30 minutes, you will carry that higher heart rate almost for the rest of the day. So while we want to run well, I encourage athletes not to push the pace or push the hill in the first 30 minutes. To put another way, let your heart rate rise naturally... This will allow you to keep the pressure on at the end of the workout when does Miles matter most.

~ Coach P

As a reminder, Ken McLaughlin Is on the TeamEN (Coaching + Community Level) and is following the EN Half Run Focused, 12wks.

His Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 2

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: DIY Tri

Extra help request: Tricks for surviving workouts in the humidity