Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Boulder
Options

2019 IM Boulder Kick Off Thread

Welcome to your official 2019 race thread! This will be home for you and your fellow teammates who are competing (and have competed) to train, learn and share with one another.

You’ll find lots of historical information here in this forum, and you can search above or use the main forum page. But it’s just as important to add your information from this year -- your workouts, volume weekends, race plans, highs and lows...it’s all here.

Race Captain - We Need One

Ideally your event has a race captain to lead by sharing their training and generally being a really awesome, supportive person online. If you have one, their name is ^above^ … If not, you can request to become the Race Captain via email here (just remember to tell us the race you want to lead). You’ll get a free month of EN membership and some other cool stuff as our way of saying thanks.

We have a basic schedule to support the Race Captain, you can view it here  and it’s not a ton of work. Even if you don’t have a race captain, you can all use that schedule to make sure You are connecting around the critical parts of your season.

Looking for Your Fellow Racers?

Sometimes the hardest part of getting the community around a race started is finding your fellow racers! You can do that via our Race Database (online here, password is WORKWORKS) where you can search by race name such as “Placid,” etc. Once you have a list of names, you can use the “@” sign to tag them here in this thread (so they are notified) or you can send them a private message via the Forums as well.

GroupMe Chat

If you are looking for your Race GroupMe, you can search our official GroupMe page online here. Can’t find the GroupMe because There isn’t one for your race? You can request we make one for you via email here.

Have Questions or Need Help?

No worries, we’re here to help! You can send us an email right here so we can help you out. Please be sure to reference your race forum and give as much detail as possible.

~ Brenda

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Is this an EN key race?

• Options

Not this year, but *I'll* be there...

• Options

what are your thoughts... boulder or bolton?

• Options

PM me... and fill me in on whether I can sneak in some riding in Al Tude camp...

• Options

Brenda, I just signed up for Boulder

• Options

Hi gang, it looks you are now 12 weeks out from the race. Remember that you have a group me you can start talking in. The link is here.

• Options

places to stay in boulder?

• Options

@Patricia Rosen Here's where I'm staying near the finish line:

They still have rooms available as of today...

• Options

no availability... oh well. I've scheduled myself for one of the hotels on their website...

MILLENNIUM HARVEST HOTEL

a little expensive and 6 miles away... but everything else seems packed. it's a shame I can't use my Marriott points...

• Options

@Patricia Rosen @Al Truscott

Last year I stayed at the Boulder University Inn. Location is perfect. You can walk from the finish line!! On race morning you can walk to the buses for transport out to the swim.

It's not a particularly fancy hotel. Across the street is an outstanding market with fresh whole food entrees.

The only real con was the dumpsters need to be kept closed or it gets smelly.

• Options

Hey Boulder Folks!!

Excited to be returning to Boulder in June! @Patricia Rosen glad you found a place. I typically have a room and plenty of space to share but his time around I'm crashing with some friends. Looking forward to seeing you!! @Al Truscott will be great to see you out there too!!

Happy Training everyone!! :)

• Options

info on travel from Boulder to Denver airport: amount of time? methods? like blue van?

• Options

@Al Truscott @Sheila Leard @Stephanie Weldon ...

do you all recommend the tribike transport shuttle to take bike out to reservoir from town instead of driving out there?

• Options

I've never done this race, but I think I want to *see* the transition zone we'll use for T1 & 2 before I get there race morning... Now, getting the bike at the end of the race is another story. It's $159 for PlayTri to retrieve and disassemble/pack bike. I don't need that, as I am driving out of town and back home, and further, I really wouldn't trust anyone else to get right the packing into a flight ready bike box. Things to consider before you decide.

• Options

I was just thinking that... It is about a 20 minute ride to the Reservoir from town but I want to know where I put my bike and not have to figure it out in the morning when it's dark.

• Options

@Patricia Rosen I drove my bike to the reservoir and dropped it off myself. I wanted to see where I was racked and do the visualization of bike out / bike in. Take lots of pictures of your bike because the transport of the bikes back to T2 was a bit rough for a few bikes.

My Sherpa, Tom, retrieved my bike while I was running. The University Hotel is 200 yards from T2.

Have a great race! Pray the winds don't change direction coming over the Flatirons and the course will be speedy.

• Options

Thanks, Guys! I have warned my sherpa, husband, Marvelous Marvin that his attention to this will be needed.

• Options

Also, @Patricia Rosen during the week there is a practice swim for a small fee to use the park. I was glad I did it to get a feel for what the horizon loos like from the water.

• Options
    edited May 14, 2019 2:10PM

@Sheila Leard Just to clarify (I;ve never done this race, nor seen it, so I need to know...) The transition from swim to bike (T1) occurs @ the reservoir, and the transition from bike to run (T2) also occurs at the reservoir? Then, the race organizers transport the bikes (presumably along with our Swim-to-bike and bike-to-run, with wetsuits, shoes, helmets, etc) to a location near the finish line in downtown Boulder, where we pick them up? Have I got this right?

So I guess, also, it's not a good idea to leave bike shoes on the bike as I usually do...

• Options

The transitions are at a different place than the finish line. I would recommend taking your bike to the reservoir yourself to set it up and to get a lay of the land. Possibly get in the water as well.

If things are set up like last year, IRONMAN will transport your bike and bags back to the finish line. I would NOT leave shoes on the bike, no guarantee that they will make it back with your bike.

It was somewhat of a disaster last year, but I have not heard that they are doing anything different yet.

• Options

thanks! I'm going to give my pick up bike ticket to my other half and ask him to pick everything up if possible... and absolutely agree about getting stuff out there on my own, not with TBT.

I appreciate comments by all! looking forward to seeing you all out there!

• Options

I was by myself for this race and had no car so I opted for the shuttle for my bike. Had plenty of time to set up race morning, get my lay of the land, get my tires checked, etc. It was convenient for me. No problem retrieving bike and bags at finish.

• Options

@Al Truscott - exactly what @Stephanie Stevens said.

When you finish the bike a person takes it from you and will load it on a the truck to transport it back to the finish line area.

That's why I mentioned taking pictures of your bike. Some were damaged last year.