Home Community Forum 🏠

2019 EN Seminar Overview Schedule, get involved!!!! 👍

edited February 8, 2020 3:45AM in Community Forum 🏠

** Updated as of 03/27/2019 **

[4/4/19] "Revisit the Boomer discussion on how to modify workouts, how much HITTS is really necessary to avoid VO2 decline, thoughts on a 2 week on - one week off training plan to promote less fatigue." RSVP here: http://bit.ly/2TY4J6k / Moderator @Sheila Leard

[4/25/19] "Integrating non-standard elements into EN long course training plans: e.g., shorter races instead of interval workouts; half-marathons instead of long runs; proper use of 5-7 day bike camps (not the weekend camps already in plans)." RSVP here: http://bit.ly/2BDXKrK / Moderator NEEDED

[5/23/19] "How to analyze HIM/IM Race (or big training day) TP/Strava data files" To include on the bike: how to determine if you rode steady or too hard, what should HR chart look like. How to know if you started the bike leg too fast. What does VI, Pr:hr and EF in TP mean and what are good/bad ranges. Same for the run. Basically, how to look at all this data and determine how well or poorly the race was executed per EN guidelines." RSVP here: http://bit.ly/2TUPZEW / Moderator NEEDED

[6/27/19] "Training and Racing to Not Slow Down in an IM Marathon: mental and physical preparation and execution (I know, this is already a big part of our model, but so many people have so many problems with achieving this)" RSVP here: http://bit.ly/2BGyrW7 / Moderator @Al Truscott

[7/25/19] "Ultra Running- planning , training, nutrition, gear, pacing, execution, crew, drop bags, logistics" RSVP here: http://bit.ly/2TVkTNM / Moderator NEEDED

The format is simple.

• Get a topic. Check! - Methods of Analysis.
  • Set a moderator. - Check! Matt Limbert 
  • Invite folks to participate in a video call. Check! Presenters: Al Truscott, Tim Cronk, Rich Stanbaugh, Jenn Edwards
  • Presenters will get 5' to talk about their experience. Thurs, Feb 28 9PM EST 
  • After all the presenters, the Moderator opens time for Q & A . 
  • Additional questions can be posted here.
  • The entire session is recorded and presented back to the Team.

Comments

• Revisit the Boomer discussion on how to modify workouts, how much HITTS is really necessary to avoid VO2 decline, thoughts on a 2 week on - one week off training plan to promote less fatigue.

As the population of Master Athletes increases we are forging the way on how to stay in the game longer. More studies are looking at athletes over the age of 50. But, we are our own lab and in the trenches on executing what works!

Here are some topics to discuss in this seminar:

1. V02. Max HR, Aerobic capacity. What's going on how to modify HITTS and slow the slowing?
    2. Training cycle. Two weeks on one week off. Or, ten day cycle instead of seven when doing intensity/
    3. Muscles and Tendons. How to cross train to avoid overuse. Is this the secret to racing fast?
    4. Psychological. Yes, this is a topic. Self talk, smack talk, any talk that gets in the way of performance.
    5. Nutrition. How to modify with every decade past 40,50,60. Women and Men differ slightly.
    6. Medical. What labs should you be asking for. Bio-markers to watch. Medication that affects HR, RPE.

Off the top of my head a few of you come to mind that could contribute some solid information

@Tom Glynn @Paul Hough @Paul Curtin @Alicia Chase @Turby Wright @Patricia Rosen @EugenePartridge

Anyone that wants to contribute , please do! Lifelong athletes will one day be an OF ... over 40, over 50, old folks. What are your concerns?

• [4/4/19] "Revisit the Boomer discussion on how to modify workouts, how much HITTS is really necessary to avoid VO2 decline, thoughts on a 2 week on - one week off training plan to promote less fatigue.

RSVP herehttp://bit.ly/2TY4J6k/ Moderator @Rory Gumina

Here are some topics to discuss in this seminar:

1. V02. Max HR, Aerobic capacity. What's going on how to modify HITTS and slow the slowing?
    2. Training cycle. Two weeks on one week off. Or, ten day cycle instead of seven when doing intensity/
    3. Muscles and Tendons. How to cross train to avoid overuse. Is this the secret to racing fast?
    4. Psychological. Yes, this is a topic. Self talk, smack talk, any talk that gets in the way of performance.
    5. Nutrition. How to modify with every decade past 40,50,60. Women and Men differ slightly.
    6. Medical. What labs should you be asking for. Bio-markers to watch. Medication that affects HR, RPE.

Thank you @Rory Gumina and @Al Truscott for contributing to this weeks seminar.

Please look at the suggested topics and choose which on you would like to present. There is room for anyone else who would like to contribute. @Gordon Cherwoniak

To everyone: If you want to just tune in, please do and bring your questions. There will be time for Q&A.

• I will be in the air en route to LA @ this time...

• @Sheila Leard ... I have a work call 830pm-930pm so am hoping to late join the Boomer call ...

• Thanks @Rory Gumina and @Al Truscott This week is looking like it has too many conflicts. I thinks we should reschedule it. Get more presenters.

@Coach Patrick Can we look at some dates in June, July, August, Sept.?

• @Sheila Leard Happy to help out here when it's rescheduled.

• Sorry @Sheila Leard Finally just looking at this. As you know from GroupMe chat, my husband has open heart surgery a couple of weeks ago. He has two dr appts that day, I’m not sure if I’ll still be coherent by 9 p.m. If you push this back, I will definitely make an effort to choose a topic and have something prepared for a 2-3 min presentation.

• @Sheila Leard HAPPY to reschedule...you pick the date and I can move the event and notify folks. You can see on the Calendar where the openings are. Nail down the date and time (in EDT please) and I'll adjust. Even if you can give me a temporary one for today so I can move it before tonight that would be great!

~ Coach P

• @Coach Patrick Let's shoot for Thursday September 15th. So many kitties to herd 😹

• @Sheila Leard DONE...Sunday 9/15 at 9pm EDT it is...

• @Coach Patrick I messed up on dictation. I meant to say Thursday AUGUST 15th , the week before Chattanooga Camp.

So sorry for the extra work.

• @Coach Patrick & @Sheila Leard , I look forward to August t 15th for Boomer HITS discussion. @Sheila Leard best wishes to your husband post cardiac surgery.

• Thanks @EugenePartridge

I think you are mixing husband surgery with Alicia. My husband Tom and me are getting ready to cycle around the island of Mallorca with the team!

• Yes @EugenePartridge That’s me (my husband). Thank you for the kind words. And @Sheila Leard I’m jealous! Have a great time.

• @Al Truscott @Sheila Leard @Jeff Phillips @Andrew Lustigman @Rory Gumina @Paul Hough

Thursday 4/25 9pm EST is the "Integrating non-standard elements into EN long course training plans" Seminar.

I have resent the confirmation email...I want to make sure that you will be there...so please let me know!!! Very excited for this....I personally have a school committee meeting 7-10pm, so I won't be there...I am hoping that @Rory Gumina Will be willing to be the moderator. Thoughts?

• Putting this on my calendar. A little late for a work night, but I’ll try to join, at least for awhile.

• @Coach Patrick I plan on tuning in Thursday night, though to be clear as a listener and "question asker", not as a presenter

• @Coach Patrick I will be there as a participant.

• @Coach Patrick , I thought this was slipped until late June, so heck yeah, I'll join in!

• i need one of you to login as me (so it is triggered to record). Basically this is meant to be a round table conversation, sharing your knowledge to learn from one another and contribute to the Team.

Any of you able to impersonate me?

~ Coach P

• @Coach Patrick No one else piped ...I can do it. I assume you'll send instructions. What about recording?

• @Al Truscott Please check your inbox for some PDF instructions thank you!