Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Jim Moore Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Jim, thanks for creating the account and telling me your races for this season...and your great story! Two Kona experiences is nothing to shake a stick at! And I'm honored we can work with you to get your training on track for the macro picture. We have some great athletes in your Age Group, such as @Al Truscott And @Paul Hough ...you'll have to chase them down on here after you are settled in.

We have integrated zones for the Stryd pwoermeter (you can add them after you test or enter your run numbers in Final Surge, instructions are here). We can dive into more of the specifics around Stryd an how to use it when we talk one the phone after you've looked over your plans in Final Surge. You can set up that call here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/weektwo

For now, check out the weekly flow of your plan and let me know what you think!

Your Races

• 04/13/2019 YMCA Spring Sprint, Boise, Idaho
  • Other 07/27/2019 Spudman OLympic, Burley, Idaho

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 03/10/2019
  • On 3/11/2019 Load the  Beginner  OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 6/16/2019
  • On 5/6/2019  Load the  Intermediate  Short Course, 20wks to end on 7/28/2019
  • On 7/29/2019 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 8/11/2019

Your Notes

I had done some Sprint races in early 2000 but in April of 2009, I decided to start training on my road to being an Ironman. I lived in Kona, Hawaii at that time and had the opportunity to race on the Ironman course every day. So after several 70.3's and local shorter races, I signed up for the Big Island Lottery in 2013. In February of that same year, I completed my first full Ironman in Kona racing the Team Mango Monster...basically the IM Kona course with some modifications. I was fortunate enough to be selected for a slot in 2013 at the age of 61 and completed the race in 13:03. I continued to train and race and in 2016 I was again selected for Kona IM. Unfortunately I cooked myself on the bike and came out of T2 feeling very sick and unbalanced. I stopped at mile 2 on the run and rested for 30 minutes but my sickness only got worse so I called it and DNF'd. We moved to the Boise Idaho area to become first time grandparents and we spend a great deal of time helping raise our grandson. I made a decision to pull way back on my training and racing to make the family a priority. I continue to dabble in the sport as my end game will be another crack at Ironman probably in about 3 years (70-74 ag). I purchased a Wahoo Kickr last year and swapped out my P5 for a P2, at the suggestion of our local tri bike shop owner and it's a much better fit. I am also riding with Zwift and have a nice set-up in my Man Cave Garage. I also purchased an Elemnt Bolt head unit and Vector 3's to race with power. And finally I have been using a Stryd unit for about 4 months, give or take, and trying to get it properly dialed in, with the help of the guys from Stryd. I run here in the winter on my Nordic Track Commercial 1750 and have a YMCA membership also. I would say my fitness is decent considering where I was from 2009 to 2016. I have a nice low resting heart rate of about 45, I monitor my sleep patterns, blood glucose and have a healthy diet. Being 5'11" and about 195, I am a bigger triathlete and would like to be closer to 187 or so. When I am in IM shape, my weight runs between 180-185. I have really been focusing on the run since buying a Stryd unit. Of the three events, the run has always been difficult for me. Running with power fascinates me and I really am looking for a coach who really understands Stryd and the metrics it proves to help guide me in performing at my best in the run.

My swimming is good and my biking has always been strong. I trained under Mark Allen Online most recently and he had me in the gym twice a week lifting with 12 specific exercises. I somewhat lightened up on the weights in order to dedicate more time to the legs and cardio.

I was sick with a crazy cold for about a month right after Christmas 2018 and didn't get back at it until about late January of this year so I am in the building phase. I have been following the Stryd running plan and so far I have been injury free. I often times battle with numbness in both feet between the first two toes and have tried many types of shoes, sox, orthotics, stretching, etc., and would like to talk with you more about that as we get into this.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Hello Coach P. I am diving into where all this info goes between us and how Final Surge integrates with my training. I did the 20 minute bike test with power yesterday and the 3 mile run on Friday and entered those numbers into Final Surge. Please let me know if they showed up and what adjustments I might need to do to dial them in better. Tomorrow, Tuesday, I am planning on doing the 1,000 yard swim test so that should complete the three test segments.

I look forward to talking with you on the phone to better explain my training and racing goals. I also might take advantage of a follow up phone call with Brenda so she can help me navigate between EN and Final Surge to make sure I am seeing all that's available and putting things in the right boxes for you.

I've been writing some notes on questions I'd like to run by you to keep our time on the phone productive and to the point. This is going to be fun and a new level of education for me. Very excited, for sure.

Until next time,

Jim

• Options

@Jim Moore Thanks for touching base...and yes to the follow up call with brenda (https://calendly.com/sross8546/welcome/), she can help you with all of that.

I updated your Run HR Zones as you entered 256 as your threshold...(your run power number)...but the bike test looks suspect. The test is a 5' and 20' interval. I see a 5' test...and you entered that data, but not sure about the 20' number. Can you tell me what you did there on that test?

Our call is going to be epic. You can post them here too...no need to wait. I'm on it! 👍

Also here's that call link to set it up: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min

~ Coach P

• Options

Hello Coach P. I will be sitting down at the computer tomorrow and dive a little deeper into all this communication stuff between EN and Final Surge to make sure my brain knows how to navigate around.

And I will get ahold of Brenda after that if I have any questions. I would like to take tomorrow, also, to write down some of my questions so you and I can have a good phone call. I ran into some complications tonight during my indoor bike ride and my Watts were incredibly high. I wound up shutting off my Garmin 935 and sync'd the Kickr with my laptop to Zwift for watts, which seemed more accurate. That was for the planned 2-12 minute rides. I think I was able to figure out how to get those workouts from Strava over to Final Surge since my 935 was disabled. But that was after the ride was complete and I don't see it on FS yet. I will be spending some time in the garage tomorrow and possibly with Garmin to make sure my Vector 3's are working as they should. Gotta love technology, bluetooth and ant.

You asked about my bike ride last week for my watt numbers. I actually did a 5 minute ride to warm up and stopped the watch after that ride so I would have a clean set of numbers for the 20 minute ride to follow. That 20 minute ride should be visible on FS as I am looking at it on my iPhone as I type this. That would be on 3-10-19. Please let me know if you aren't getting those numbers and I will see about taking a screen grab and forward it to you.

Guess that's about it for now. Please forgive me if I'm a bit slower on the uptake of all this. Takes some getting used to the new formats. I tell my wife this is all good brain exercise to keep my 67 year old brain in the new generation of tech.

Cheers and hope to arrange for that coach phone call next week. Is there a better day and time for you?

Jim

• Options

@Jim Moore Thanks for following up....

1) I got those numbers now. I didn't realize that the WKOs had posted "last wko first" so I assumed (incorrectly) that your test was the last one in the calendar on Final Surge.

2) you might need to link Final Surge to Your Garmin Connect account Instead, and disable the Strava integration. Zwift Files in strava Are missing certain items so they don't get ported over to your FS account. But Garmin connect gets Zwift, which would then post to your FS (and already posts to Strava). Make sense?

No worries on being slow....my job is to match your pace and work with you!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Jim Moore - Another great chat...thank you! So right now you are "super motivated" to work on your run this year.

IOW, you aren't really looking on a wholistic plan (you've had plenty of Bike and Swim coaching), but you really wants to dive into form and power and Stryd.

Step One: Access powercenter data for Jim.

• You can message me via our admin email: ppisaj2s@inbound.intercom-mail.com

Step Two: Evalution of SBR and return on investment.

• The biggest thing to work on this early in the year is run frequency. Since we are run focused, it's all about logging 3 to 4 runs a week. Goals would be building to 5 runs a week by July...all the miles add up!
    • In your current plan, four runs a week would be: Tues Brick, Wed Run, Sat Brick, Sun Run.
    • Five runs a week would be: Tues Brick, Wed Run, Thursday Brick, Sat Brick, Sun Run.
    • We can delete the Friday run for now.

Cleaning Up Final Surge

First, disconnect Garmin Connect from the Sync page: https://www.finalsurge.com/GarminConnectSync

Second, sync your Strava to your Final Surge account. This is because Strava sends everything over. You might have this done already.

Third, if you aren't getting new, good run power data, then let's sync your Stryd directly to Final Surge from the Stryd Power Center. Note, this could lead to some run WKO duplicates (strava + stryd).

Please Note: Eventually, Final Surge will have Zwift compatibility, then you can sync Zwift (indoor rides), Garmin (outdoor rides) and your run data Stryd to Final Surge….by passing the aggregation services like GC and Strava.

Numb Between Toes When Running

Gets numb between toes when he starts to run. I think this is a great question for the Team in the Training Forum...I'll post it there and tag your name so you get an email. Let me know if you need help finding it!

Looking forward to the Stryd login!

~ Coach P

Ps race plan for the sprint...almost forgot! You can find it under Racing > Racing Central > Short Course

• Options

@Jim Moore Ok, finally back to you after climbing out of hole this week...here you go from Stryd PowerCenter... Let me know what you think!

~ Coach P

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Metabolic Fitness Chart

Metabolic Fitness is your overall current fitness, in terms of both metabolic and aerobic performance. You can build your current fitness to its ceiling in a relatively short period of time. Moreover, it is possible to slowly raise your overall fitness ceiling with consistent training.

According to your data, you are it the “ready for a 5k” range (20 to 35 points on the right). This is consistent with your current run training focus on the shorter stuff.

Future: This will stabilize from where you are now and then also trend upwards. It will be a slower trend than your ME chart (Below) as it’s more about total load.

Muscle Endurance Chart

This is your ability to keep running. Your ability to run long should be improved slowly. Research recommends increasing by ~10% each week, and a single long run should not be more than 20-25% of your total weekly load.

Your current ME is approximately the value of your “hardest” session each week...which is the Threshold Run. This shows you that you can handle a single 100 point session at a go (5k up to 10kish). It also shows that you couldn’t really run a 10-miler at that effort. We know that intellectually, but it’s nice to have the data there as well.

Future: This will trend up as your longer runs get longer over the course of your season.

Muscle Power Chart

This is your instantaneous power, and it is directly linked to running economy. Improve the strength of your muscles, the stiffness of your tendons, etc., and get the most out of each and every step.

We can see here the greatest delta in your training, as you have added the intensity / quality of the EN program. So you are getting stronger within each run. Based on the Trend line it looks as though you can handle doing a bit more work; a change in training stimulus is recommended here.

Future: This line will increase, flatten, increase and flatten again across the season. You should never lose economy within a season unless you drastically change your run intensity downwards. Sometimes if we take a break (run more but not fast) this metric will drop as we recover, but it wouldn’t be drastic.

Stryd Heat Map Chart

This helps us to determine your profile for success and where your "gaps" are.

Strengths:

• 2’ power @ 250W
    • 18’ to 20’ power @ 200W

Opportunities:

• Strides (30” bursts) over 300W
    • 5’ intervals (½ mile repeats) at 275W to 290W
    • Longer steady runs over an hour.

• Options

@Jim Moore thanks for the follow up question...you can always reply to me here and I will answer you no worries!

I think the most important metric to improve relative to getting faster is the Leg Spring Stiffness. This improves as you get fitter and more "taut" as a runner; you can also accelerate these gains with some Functional Strength training. We have a Run Plyometric Program you can overlay onto your regular training to see if that six week protocol can accelerate your gains beyond "just" running.

Form Power should decrease over time for the same pace. So basically you should be getting more efficient or time for runs at the same pace. So as you run 8:00 mile recovery runs 3 x a week from January to June...we should see a decrease in Form Power for that same pace. What was once 175 watts is now 165 watts for example.

In terms of actionable metrics, it's really LSS that you can target to improve and get a return. Make sense?

~ Coach P

• Options

Many thanks. I’ll work on those specifics for sure.

J

• Options

@Jim Moore any feedback now that you’ve started to work on some of these changes?

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Hello Coach P and staff. Things are going along very well with the training format and I am seeing some very nice improvements. I was looking ahead at the training calendar and want to update you on my race schedule for July. I am signed up for a modified longer Sprint on July 17th and my A Race is on July 27th. Would you please take a look at that for me and make whatever changes are needed for the days leading up to and right after those races. The 17th race is local but I will have a travel day on the 26th for that Olympic race. Thanks. Jim Moore

• Options
    edited June 4, 2019 1:38AM

Jim, since you are on PlanEN you can't see the forums. I hav emailed you in Final Surge; just putting this here in case you still get email notifications. 👍