Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

How to use the TSS values in the training plans

Are we supposed to have TSS on our watch and pretty much keep riding until we get the right number or ???

I feel like I am missing some key instructions on that piece.

Comments

• Options

This is a great question! The addition of TSS targets for cycling workouts is a relatively recent addition. We have long used primarily time as the goal for any workout, with specific pace or power sub-targets within the workout. I don't use those TSS numbers in the workout as a rein or whip, but I do look at them after the fact. This question prompted me to go back over the last couple of weeks and see how I stacked up for weeks 12 & 13 of the HIM plan:

Day Wed Fri Sat Mon Wed Total

Workout ABP Recovery Long Max Effort 1 Steady State 1

Target TSS 160 43 208 79 83 573

Actual TSS 159 57 258 67 72 613

What did I learn? (1) It's hard to go easy enough when trying to do a recovery ride. (2) The big discrepancy on Sat was on purpose: I'm using a plan designed for a 56 mile bike leg prepping for a bike leg of 68 mi, so I deliberately did more than the plan called for. (3) The last two workouts reflect me going easier than directed for the first several intervals, as these were the first time I had ever done these specific workouts, and I was unsure about my ability to finish the entire effort - I build from e.g. 190 >> 210 watts over six intervals yesterday, with 210 being the target for all six. Next week, I'll know I can do all the intervals as written.

My conclusion/advice: follow the plan as written in regard to time, number, and effort level of all intervals. If there is a wide discrepancy after the fact between target TSS and actual TSS, you probably have the wrong FTP programmed into your analytics app, and need either an adjustment or a new test. But don't stress about trying to hit the TSS during the workout; just go for the time and intervals. If you do them as written, you'll get the TSS listed, as that's how it was designed.

• Options

Thanks for your help, @Al Truscott!