Homeβ€Ί General Training Discussions
Options

Nutrition and Hydration question

I am relatively new to endurance sports. I completed my first marathon last year. Now I am interested in improving performance rather than just finishing. As I learn more I am realizing in training nutrition and hydration are critical. I have a few questions if anyone can help.

1) I sweat A LOT during training. 90 minute run I loose about 5 lbs (usually consume 24 ounces during that time). Is there a formula or way to figure out what an ideal fluid intake would be for me (i.e. how much fluid I should be aiming for)?

2) What sort of electrolyte mixture (either brand or composition) should I be using?

3) What sort of energy source do people recommend and how often to consume it during training?

Thanks,

Tim

Comments

• Options

First off, let me say that this topic is highly personal. What works for someone else might (and probably will) NOT work for you.

Second, each of us have to come to our own conclusions using real-life testing. That includes things such as sweat tests as well as trial-and-error with both hydration and nutrition, separately or together. Unfortunately, this sometimes also means expense, because trying a product - more than once - requires buying it.

With that said, let me briefly share my 15+ year journey. I started with regular gatorade, like most did back then, I imagine. That quickly moved to Accelerade for both hydration and nutrition in one. I then moved to Infinit custom mixes, which was a bit of a cost investment as I found a mix that seemed to work for me. Well, that didn't last long, as I figured out real quick that having even minimal calories within my drink/hydration, that it was still too much for my gut to handle. If I ingested calories every time I needed to drink, my gut quickly shut down.

I've finally come to a few conclusions, for ME. I have to split my hydration and nutrition into separate considerations. I live in Dallas TX, so hot and humid. I use Nuun electrolytes for my hydration (not even their "Performance" or "plus" line, with add'l calories will work for me), and now use Honey Stinger waffles or Untappd Maple syrup for my nutrition. Yes, I'm sponsored by both Nuun and HS, as you can see in my signature below, but I used both products before I even asked about being sponsored by either - so I'm a believer in their products.

As for a bit of context, I'm a bit of a hydration and nutrition "camel"...In the last 5 century rides I've done, I've done each of them non-stop, with 3 or less bottles of Nuun and less than 2 HS waffles. Even as a big dood (6'1" at 210+ lbs), I don't seem to need a ton of calories, so I don't force myself to consume more. My last Ironman, Mont Tremblant in 2013, I ate less than 200 cals/hour on the 6 hour bike, and less than 200 cals in TOTAL during the marathon.

This is what I've learned about myself via trial-and-error (many of them).

Hope this helps and sets some expectations of your journey to come.

• Options

Here's an article to help you perform a sweat test, to discover how much fluid you need during a training session:

You *can* get away with not taking in any fluids for short-ish run, say 45 minutes or less, combined with topping up before, and filling up after. But longer than that, it's a good idea to use the guidelines you get from the sweat test to fully hydrate while you are running.

As to *what* to drink, as Scott says, anybody at this game a long time will discover what works for them. Me, I use Infinit for bike rides longer than 2 hours, Gatorade Endurance fo runs longer than 75', and Gatorade for shorter rides.

Calories? I don't worry about fully replacing *during* a workout unless I'm out on a bike ride of at least 3 hours; then I'll go with 250-350 calories/hour, which means I may have to top off the-fluid based calories with, say, a Clif Bar. But I do make sure to replace my training session calories within 2 hours of any serious workout.

One important point: I think it is a mistake to use training calories as part of a weight reduction program. I believe an athlete should fully replace the calories burned during a workout, either during or immediately after. That's because you need to top up your glycogen stores, which will be fully used up after about 2 hours no matter how easy you go, in order to be ready for the next workout. Then, you can skimp on dinner or whatever, if you want to have your calories burned be more than your caloric intake. There are others, though, who think training calories can be part of a weight loss program. I'm sure they can post their own reasoning.

• Options
    edited March 16, 2019 7:52PM

@Tim Moran - the advice above is really good, so I won't re-plow that ground.

What I would add, based on my own trial and error, is that hydration is essential... nutrition is important. Depending on the length of time you are training/racing, nutrition becomes more/less important. But, it is my belief, that if you master how to stay properly hydrated first, sorting out the calories becomes easier and you will have more options make it work.

• Options

@Tim Moran - I too don't want to go over what has been said. I will say that Rich is very correct. Also, your body is pretty amazing. Meaning, what you take now may not be what you take later, and vice verse. So keep that in mind. I started as a troph eater. Through time, I have trained my stomach and body to accept liquid nutrition during my training and races. It takes time.

• Options

1) I sweat A LOT during training. 90 minute run I loose about 5 lbs (usually consume 24 ounces during that time). Is there a formula or way to figure out what an ideal fluid intake would be for me (i.e. how much fluid I should be aiming for)? Are you the muscular type? Most recommendations say not to lose >2% body weight. However, if you are muscular and over 185 pounds it's pretty easy to lose more than 2%. Adequately hydrating is meant to offset that loss - not totally replace it. What @Scott Alexander said about separating hydration from fuel works well. Do the sweat test.

2) What sort of electrolyte mixture (either brand or composition) should I be using? Our sponsors NBS and NUNN Hydration are worth trying. Why? Because the electrolytes are high and the sugar is low. Sugar has a job to help hydrate you. It piggybacks the sodium into your cell. Skratch and OSMO are also good.

3) What sort of energy source do people recommend and how often to consume it during training? Your fuel should be low fat, very low fiber and mostly carbs. Our sponsor Picky Bars are awesome. Honey stinger chews and waffles are handy easy to digest. How many calories per hour? This is not an absolute number but it puts you in the ball park .... your weight in kg X 3-5 = calories for the bike. Run is less.

• Options

Thanks for the input everyone.