Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

John Bayone Official Coach Thread

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

John so great to have you back on the Team! I want to make sure you are on track to the CRAZY run you have planned; but you know my bias is towards the "normal" stuff of Ironman and even the Marathon. 🤣 As we think about your year, it's really important that we find a common theme to keep you on track...so what would that be for you? You gotta answer me below...

• Ultra Theme: __________
  • IM Theme: __________
  • Marathon Theme: __________

Also to be fair our ultra plan is legit...I will load it for you, but let's you and I talk once you've reviewed it and we can decide next steps. Sound good?!

Your Races

• 06/01/2019 Worlds End 100k Trail Race (Trail Run) at Worlds End State Park, Pennsylvania
  • Ironman Mont Tremblant (2019-08-18) #IMMT_19
  • 10/13/2019 (Running) Chicago Marathon

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on 03/25/2019

• On 3/25/2019 Load the    UltraRun Plan (16 wks) to end on 6/2/2019
  • On 6/3/2019  Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 8/18/2019
  • On 8/19/2019 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 9/15/2019
  • On 9/1/2019  Load the  -- Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 10/13/2019
  • On 10/14/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/10/2019
  • On 11/11/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/8/2019

Your Notes

2018 I seemed like I was behind where I wanted to be, but still ran a PR in every distance from 5k all the way up to a 50 mile trail race.

Dopey Challenge at Disney World in January 2019. While taking some rest time following that event, I irritated a hip flexor injury and spent February resting it and doing some light running and doing Physical Therapy 3 times a week. It is now feeling pretty good, I would like to start with some lighter intensity to make sure it does not come back.

So towards the end of 2018 my goal moving forward was 3 things; run a Boston Qualifier, a Western States 100 Qualifier, and finish a Full Ironman in one year. I ran a 4 minute PR in Philadelphia in November 2018 (with an already hurting hip flexor) and got the first part. The trail Race I listed below (Worlds End 100k June 1, 2019) is the next part. Spent the last couple of years doing some good running volume, and kept procrastinating doing another triathlon. The last couple of summers I really dreaded doing big volume running in the heat in the summer and missed doing some of the long bike rides, as crazy as that might sound.

With the exception of recovering from a strained hip flexor, I am still pretty aerobically fit considering having to take a few weeks of light activity.

Currently easy pace running was 36 miles last week. This week perhaps 5 runs and 2 bikes. As far as swimming, well lets just say I really need to get back in the pool.

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?

• What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)

• Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)

• End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)

• End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

• General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

• Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

• Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

• Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Hey Patrick, 

Thank you and it is great to hear and receive your feedback.  I did take a read through this on Tuesday night and wanted to make sure I thought about it for a day or so before responding.  Having now done that, here we go!  

Your “Bias” is what I was perhaps expecting and even counting on and I think we can totally work together to make that happen while leveraging your expertise to make sure I am not forgetting anything.

As far as a “common theme” to keep the overall process on track, it is simply this….patiently build the aerobic capacity as strong as I can.  I have confidence that I can keep going longer distances when I set myself up the right way.  The trail running, and large running volume blocks, that I have done in the last couple years have really helped me and with when I can do that carefully I get to a point I can manage that volume.

The 50 Mile trail race I ran in May 2018 was on some really “minimal training” in the 6-8 weeks leading up to that with some recurring pain in my calf and then recovery.  However, using what you always teach everyone about execution over fitness, I just tried to manage the day and have fun. I have never been so relaxed at the start of a race. IT worked!!  The point being, without me all crazy about over thinking every little thing it will all work out. could I have spent less time at the aid stations...of course.. could I have spent less time changing out my socks and shoes at the half way point...of course....did I get crazy about it...NOPE!! The goal was to enjoy the experience and be thankful to have the opprotuninty to do it.  It also had to help that I was still carrying  a huge base of aerobic fitness I had built slowly from the Spring and all Summer long in 2017 for a marathon in fall, then into the Dopey Challenge in January 2018.  If I can manage it right I do not think that capacity goes away as quickly as I think sometimes.  

Looking through the Ultra plan, I do like the back to back long runs on the weekends with the notes to take walking breaks as necessary.  With the nice late winter and early spring conditions now is the time to be doing that and not in the heat of the summer.  Kind of why I structured those races that way.  Also the medium long runs during the week of about 90 minutes, and think that is all pretty reasonable. I have done lots of similar run weekends but I just have not done that training with trying to include some long days on hilly trails.  So I will just try to be careful and watch how the legs will respond to that as we go along.

I like the way you structured the training seasons to build off of one another, and I think that maybe even if there are times that if I feel like I am breaking down a little from back to back long runs of those durations to even put a long bike ride in there every other week might not be a bad idea??  

In the past I have only done IMLP and with IMMT it might give me a few more weeks of long rides outside, so that is why I wanted to race a little later in the summer. Oh, and I have never been there and it looks amazing. I do have plans to go to IMLP to spectate, volunteer, and get in a couple days or riding the bike there since it should be about 3 weeks prior to IMMT.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to talking with you soon.

John.

• Options

@John Bayone I love where your head is at. Sometimes I forget how balanced you are when I am surrounded by all these CRAZY TYPE A people. 🤣 I love where you are at and YES, you are welcome to alternate back to back long run weekends with a long run + long ride weekend. As you said, it's all about the cardio (or adding heartbeats, as I like to say).

As long as you can remain healthy and focused on building with intent, I think you'll be 100% fine. Can't wait to see you in Placid...and let me know if you'd like to talk here as well..or set up that call: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

~ Coach P

PS - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better.

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

• Options

Hey Patrick,

Just wanted to check in to let you know how it was going. We spoke a few weeks ago I had been recovering from a right side hip flexor injury and the PT was working and recovery coming along. The 1st weekend in April I went to Disney and ran a few races just for fun and it did not give me any issues.

With a couple of the usual days of not paying attention to the warning signals in the last couple of weeks I started developing pain in the left side hip flexor area. Yea, I am pretty sure (about 95%) I know exactly what I was over doing. On top of all the running volume I had gone back to 2 days a week of strength training, and even on days where I had run for 90 minutes or so right before hand.

So moving forward, I am going to stop that for a few weeks and use that time to get back in the pool 2 days a week since that is going to need some attention eventually and should not put any stress on that area. Also, so far riding the bike on the trainer has not caused it any pain. This only flared up the middle of last week and I might be a little over careful about it since just recovering from the strain on the right side, but even last week I did not think much of it since "hey it loosened up and the pain went away after the first hour of the run and I did not feel it the 5 more miles after that". hahaha. 🤣

I spoke to the physical therapist and will do the exercises and stretching on it the same as we did on the right side that helped heal that up over the last couple months.

So this weekend even if I do not run on it, a longer bike ride outside if the weather cooperates or even go for a really long really hilly hike just to get some time in on the feet...AS LONG AS I DO NOT OVER STRESS IT.

Hope you had a nice trip, that cycling camp looks like a lot of fun.

John.

• Options

@John Bayone - Old habits die hard. Finding the band with to still take care of yourself while pushing your limits is a fine balance. I agree, the work that you’ve outlined was certainly just too much. I like to separate the strength from the volume whenever possible, such as during the winter when they are not competing priorities. Another option for you is to simply take the weight out of the equation and do functional work with your body weight that can be effective but perhaps not as limiting.

In the meantime, I wish you a speedy healing process and let me know how you wanna proceed once you feel like you are back. May the weather be on your side!

• Options

Hey Patrick, I could not agree more. This past week I focused on trying to balance things a little more and keep up with the PT stuff, by just making sure i did it every other day and put a few rides on the trainer in place of some of the running and even went to the pool.

As far as moving forward I am looking to perhaps continue being a little more conservative this week. Aerobically I have felt ok with the work load and things feel like they are on the mend. I have had a target in my mind that if I do not feel comfortable running in the next week or so, pulling out of the 100k on June 1st and we can change the focus towards IMMT in August a little bit earlier. Not an easy call to make, but might be the more sensible thing. Perhaps I should put a hard date, like by Saturday. I will let you know.

Hope that you are recovered from what looked like a lot of fantastic riding in Mallorca.

• Options

Hope you are having a good time at Blue Ridge Cycling camp.

Here is the update on teh note I made above.... Decision made to pull out of the trail run, and plan adjusted to the Full IM plan, and set the end date to 8/18/2019. It was a bit of a stress relief to just request the refund from the trail run with the understanding that with the time off earlier this year I just did not want to chance taking another step backwards. Combined with stressing out about it.

• Options

Training has been coming along and most of the aches and pains from pre season injuries in the hip flexors are all but a memory and hope they stay that way.

With the July 4th holiday weekend coming up, I should be able to keep the building of volume on track after having to miss some work due to work travel.

• Options

I love the continued updates, thanks for posting them. This is a perfect week to get in some of that extra volume just remember that we want to continue to use the bike is the tool to do just that.

For example, a steady one hour ride, even if indoors, followed by a run is a great way to get a come bind a real big value session without too much individual workouts stress.

The reason why I suggest this is that we don’t want to jeopardize the good foundation that you have built which is brought you pass that “aches and pains” stage which we all dislike. I hope we can see some pictures of you outside on our Facebook Group!

• Options

Thanks Patrick,

I think we are on the same page. With the holiday weekend coming up I will be up there and hope to get in a few days of good riding on the IMMT course. Mostly looking to get in some consistent volume, over a few days, on the course without over doing it. I will make sure to take a couple of photos and tag you or something on social media. Looking ahead I see that the following week would be the first "Race Rehearsal" and I want to make sure I have a realistic goal of how conservative I need to be on the bike.

Thankfully, the local pool reopened today after having to be fixed and I can get that back on track since I know there is a lot of work to do there. Mostly with just being more consistent.

Have a great week.

John

• Options

Love it, we are totally on the same page and you are doing all the right work… Looking forward to seeing all the data come in!

• Options

Hey Patrick,

OK,

So The Trip to Mont Tremblant over July 4th weekend was great insight into the course.

Big learning points. Let me know if you think I am in the right frame of mind (i.e. calm and relaxed).

ON the RT 117 portion of the bike course, 1. There is NO shade at all. 2. It can be and was windy as heck out there. 3. the trip out to the turn around seems to take forever and the trip back was nice mentally cause it seemed to go a lot quicker. 4. The long steep hill is not too bad when ya consider it is over with in under 10 minutes then there is a long downhill afterwards to get the heart rate back in check. 5. Super bonus tip from Brenda and Steve who told me to make sure I had % grade showing on my Garmin, and this was great to see how many false flats there are on that course...."If it feels like you are working too hard for how fast you are going it is because are you are on a hill!!" I did not realize it the first day I rode there by myself and it was really discouraging, and when I rode with them with that % grade showing it was like a cheat sheet. Seems like common sense after the fact, but a great tip for that course.

On the out and back near transition with all the steep climbs, I did not think it was too bad if I just slow down and keep spinning up the hills. I have a 12-30 in the back with a compact up front, and yea a few of those steep climbs I would have liked another gear but I never had to get off the seat either. So maybe before the race I might put a RoadLink back there and get another gear just to be safe, and try it out on the Lake Placid course in a couple of weeks to make sure it feels ok on some long hills.

The run course looks boring as all get up, I did a 14 mile run there and it was pretty sunny and humid. Once onto the bike path portion it seems like there is opportunity for some nice shade out there in the afternoon? Mentally I just tried to check out and not think about how much further to the turn around and gee there is a hill when I get back past that village...just keep moving and focus on efficient running form.

The running is coming along well, some recent shorter runs have really started to fell loose and fast without pushing so the aerobic volume from the cycling might just be starting to come around.

Have a great weekend.

• Options

Thanks for the update. I agree, your breakdown of the course is pretty spot on. One of the interesting things about bad part of the globe is that there can be wind early in the day. Where is in Lake Placid the wind typically builds, there are some years where there’s minimal wind in tremblant and others where the wind is blowing right out of the gate. In most cases, the wind Will be some flavor of the headwind on the way out. So it does make the outbound section and challenging but then you have a tail wind back into that long climb. Once you’re off of that main road the wind is really nonexistent.

It does make for a choppy swim if that’s the case though especially because it’s one lap.

Yes to exposure to the sun but I don’t think he gets that hot that aside from the uphills. For me the real tricky part of the course is getting from the village out to 117 and back in again. That’s a great session to ruin your race so being smart there really matters.

I love that one for us but it’s important to remember it’s shaped like a key. Extreme Hills at Miles one into and then just rollers on the way out. But that means extreme Hills at Miles 1112 as well as miles 13 and 14. The middle section of that one of course is super challenging. In many ways getting 10 mile 15 is effectively than Mile18 Of the day. Once you’re on the bike path life gets significantly easier even though you are more tired.

• Options

Hey Patrick.

The road rash has healed up pretty good in the last couple of weeks, and other than that first week I was able to get in the pool.

The last few weeks, the short quick running workouts have seemed to really help open the stride up and have felt pretty good. All the months of injury recovery, and building volume, it is nice to turn the legs over without over doing it and I have felt good.

I posted a race plan in the forum. Overall it is nice to get back into a mix of activity and this weekend should be a lot of fun. I'll try to remember I said that around 5pm on Sunday afternoon...hahaha.

Thanks for the insight on the hills on the run course. Thinking of how they are stacked with that one closer to transition (near the swim start) and that bigger one another mile down the road, then again in the middle of the course like you said (miles 10-15), I will try to just stay as positive & efficient as I can through there. I hope that on the way back once you are past that big one around mile 23-24+/- the hard stuff is effectively over.

Have a great week.

• Options

@John Bayone congratulations on the race! I saw your brief notes in Strava and look forward to a more complete re-support for the team. If it helps, here is a quick race report form: https://endurancenation.wufoo.com/forms/q7a69dd1purtki/

Hope you can enjoy some recovery, it’s well deserved!

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick thank you. Do not want you to think I forgot. I am working on it, and just trying to make it more brief and to the point. Gotta do something during recovery time...

Have a nice week.

• Options

No worries, I get it. My friend got a few pictures of you on the race course, why do you stay strong through the dark parts of that marathon!

I put the pictures in the photo album and also in the Endurance Nation live group on Facebook. Happy recovery.