Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Andy Spratley Official Coach Thread

Hey Coach P!

Never did setup a Coach Thread for myself under the Coaching Forum. Anyway, I figured I'd do that, with a link to our previous discussion and copied/pasted Season Plan below.

Otherwise, this week was a good, get-off-the-mat and do some training week. Only executed one workout (Tuesday bike) as prescribed; but, put in the minutes and somewhat energetic efforts towards the rest of workouts.

Next Friday, fly home for a week. So, training will be similar as I maneuver around travel. The hope is as the shingles fades out, my energy level will pick up. Next Saturday I'll test my bike conditioning with the 11.2 mile bike portion of the GCRC Duathlon #1 (Run 3.1 + Bike 11.2).

Catch ya later, Andy

@Andy Spratley

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

So Great to have you "back on track" with the triathlon stuff. Kudos to you on that marathon performance; as we noted, there's only so much you can do with super quality / hard running and staying healthy. IOW, there's a balance we need to strike; we can help you do that with more of a tri focus and hopefully not sacrifice any of that baseline run speed (keep it where you can Freshen it up in a few weeks and you are all set!). 👍

I have you finishing out the Bike Focus plan, right into the "end" of the Short Course plan for your Oly-ish event. Then we are off to a bit of recovery and the full build to SuperFrog. This gives you time to:

1. Get strong on the bike
  2. Get fast bike and run
  3. Add volume to the bike and run relative to the half.

Let me know what you think!

Your Races

• 06/02/2019 (Triathlon - Olympic-ish) Heatwave Classic Triathlon
  • 07/14/2019 (Run) Scripps Ranch 10K
  • 08/19/2019 (Triathlon - International Distance) Chula Vista Challenge
  • Ironman 70.3 Superfrog (2019-09-15) #70.3Superfrog_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 02/27/2019
  • On 3/4/2019 Load the  -- Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 4/14/2019
  • On 4/15/2019  Load the  -- Short Course, 20wks to end on 6/2/2019
  • On 6/3/2019  Load the    Swim Camp to end on 6/16/2019
  • On 6/17/2019 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 9/15/2019
  • On 9/16/2019 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/29/2019
  • On 9/30/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/27/2019
  • On 10/28/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/24/2019
  • On 11/25/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/22/2019

Your Notes

https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/77011874/results

Races I trained for:

2018 California International Marathon (CIM) - December 2nd - 3:15:13 (9 weeks of focused training)

2018 IM Augusta 70.3 - September 23rd - 5:33:16 (Wasn't a true focused effort.)

2018 Scripps Ranch 10K - July 4th - 40:14 (4 weeks of focused training)

2018 Los Angeles Marathon - March 18th - 3:23:43 (13 weeks of focused training)

Pretty good fitness; but, not in sharp or top notch condition. There is a 2 year story behind it.

2017 was focused on recovering from several 2016 injuries, including 2 high hamstring strains, a lower abdomen strain, a calf strain. But, 2017 started with me getting flipped off my bike by a dog in the Mississippi Gulf Coast country side which took a couple of months to get right hip and ribs to heal. The rest of 2017 was just getting my run fitness back while maintaining a base bike and swim effort. Big 2017 races were IM Superfrog and the Santa Rosa marathon. Not great efforts, but regained my endurance.

2018 was about qualifying for Boston 2019 and getting my run speed back. Big races were Los Angeles Marathon, IM Augusta 70.3, CIM. Accomplished my run goals, buuuut…

2019 was to be about hammering Boston 2019 with the remainder of the year focused on Triathlons; but, 2 weeks after CIM, I jump started Boston training only to strain my chronic right adductor, lower abdomen and generally beat up my pelvic floor. As of today (2/26/2019), just about all is almost healed and when I kickoff my 2019 Triathlon season all will be healed.Pretty good fitness; but, not in sharp or top notch condition. 2 weeks after 2018 CIM, I jump started Boston training only to strain my chronic right adductor, lower abdomen and generally beat up my pelvic floor. Thus, 2nd week of January had to shut down running and eventually canceled Boston 2019.

The past 6 weeks has been a muddled mess of getting my bike legs in shape and trying to get the swim going all the while sustaining a base strength training effort.

The next 6 weeks will be using the EN Triathlon Bike focus planned to get my bike legs into race shape while easing back into running with 3-to-4 easy runs per week, with 2 runs each week via an AlterG treadmill. In case of swim, once a week working with Coach Kendyl Stewart (see Olympic team) to strip down my swim and rebuild it. Also, will swim 3 times per week (1800-to-2400 yards), including one of the Triathlon Club of San Diego's OWS swims. For strength, working with a personal trainer once a week to do the same as the swim, strip it down and rebuild it.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Subtle update to this past week's training. The Shingles nightmare raised its ugly head one last time. Developed a fever last Saturday after putting in a 2 hour ride. Thought it was a low-grade fever, like a simmering furnace and trained through it on Sunday with strength, cycling (45 min) and running (5 miles). Welp, when the fever was still cooking Monday afternoon, decided to check it and that low-grade fever was actually 102.4. So, I don't have a clue what a low-grade fever is. Anyway, turned out I had an e-coli bacteria going amuck. The guess is that it got into my system via the rash and swimming. Anyway, on an antibiotic until Tuesday and my body is effectively back to normal function.

But to pile on, while packing for my trip home Thursday, lower back locked up tight. A combination of home PT-ing and tomorrow's chiropractor appointment will fix that.

Long story short, this week's training got thrown into the dumpster. I will finish it with a 2 hour ride today.

• Options

Sounds like we’re just gonna have to navigate this wave for a while. I suggest you plan on the next time you don’t feel well that you treat it as if it’s a full blown his shift. I’d rather you be aggressive as soon as possible then lose a few days cause you’re not sure. Does that make sense? I hope you’re feeling better now.

• Options

Yep, it does make sense, thanks! My endurance career has had a certain Train Wreck, going off rail quality to it.

Otherwise, I am basically good-to-go health-wise. Bike legs are relatively strong. Run legs and swim arms require an endurance rebuild. Both rebuilds will come with steady training.

Working on it...