Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Stephanie Weldon Official Coach Thread

Hey Coach Patrick,

Finally checking in and wanted to give you a rundown of races for the remainder of 2019. The year has been/is busy but AWESOME. So far body/ankle and mind are holding up really well and heck, I'm getting faster. :)

1/5 Scorpion 50k (local race)-done

1/26 MS Blues marathon-done

1/27 Alabama Big Beach marathon-done

2/9 Greenville MS marathon (placed 1st in AG ...woot woot)-done

2/10 Mercedes marathon-done

3/3 Little Rock marathon (6th place AG)-done

3/10 Zydeco Louisiana marathon (2nd place AG)-done

3/21 Dust Bowl Series Clayton, NM-done

3/22 Dust Bowl Series Guymon, Ok-done

3/23 Dust Bowl Series Ulysses, KS-done

3/30 Magnolia Meltdown 1/2 marathon (1:55)- 1st sub 2 hour half since running comeback. Super pleased with physical and MENTAL effort!! hot day in mississippi-DONE

4 week swim & bike focus/run recovery

4/28 London Marathon (easy, tourist pace!!)

5/4 Natchez Trace Century ride - bike (not really a race, just an organized big ride)

5/17 Stephanie Retires from school teaching.

5/18 Beaver Head Marathon State #45 (to get the state of Montana towards my 50 states goal)

6/9 IMBoulder (C race)-super conservative effort

6/15 Big Horn hike (to get the state of Wyoming State #46)

6/19, 6/20, 6/21 Independence Series running DE, PA, NJ (States #47-49)

6/22-7/4 swim/bike only recovery week

7/27 -8/6 Vacation in Kailua-Kona/course training opportunity on Kona course every day. Work with Dave Scott. Staying at a condo 1/4 mile from pier. Renting a bike. Any recommendations about the area appreciated.

8/18 IM Mont Tremblant

10/12 Kona IM WC & state #50

11/2 won a free entry to IMFLA if I want to go (I know....the sheer dumb luck)

1/3-6/2020. UMAZ camp Phoenix, AZ

3/27-3/29 UMAZ with Tim & Simon

5/23/2020 Stephanie turns 50.

All gratuitous hiking/jogging/running...ALL OF IT....will be done by end of June. I was super nervous about running the 3 marathons in a row last week but with my recovery protocol (theragun, recovery boots, hydration/nutrition, extra nap, sleep) we didn't just make it through the three races...we had a great time with some strong effort! Super pleased. June scares the crap out of me...not gonna lie. I'm just taking the next two months easy when my feet hit the pavement. There are ZERO time goals for all of this running and in fact the generous cut-offs make it so I can jog/walk as needed. The GOAL is to finish state 49 by June 22. That will leave Kona Hawaii in October as state #50. I totally know I can do this!! Boulder and Mont Tremblant are on the schedule to keep me tri-race focused and happy. The goal with these two races is to hammer the swim/bike and have a steady conservative run.

There is NOTHING but what you tell me to do between IMMT and Kona. I know that is hard to believe but it is true.

So currently:

Swimming 3-4x a week now and feeling reconnected to the water!!

Biking....getting ready to ride outside. Been mostly indoors on trainer.

Any training/plan recommendation welcome.

Thanks so much!

Steph

P.S. We are getting an endless pool. Its under construction right now. Will keep you posted.

@Coach Patrick

Comments

• Options

Hey,

ok so I'm good to go with Final Surge. Set up my HR and power zones for run and bike. Looked at all of the plans.

What if I loaded the following entering 6/9/19 (IMBoulder) as my end date:

1. 20 week Full IM Minimalist program
    2. 20 week swim program (for extra Monday swim)
    3. Core program (for extra core)

Seems to work out well that the first RR coincides with my local century ride 5/4 which will give me the 6 hours. Gives me about 10 weeks of structure.

****The rest of June - custom plan/run/recover/survive.

Then starting in July do the same thing. Load those three plans with the end date of 10/12/19 (Kona...gives me 15 weeks). Use IMMT 8/18/19 as a light RR/mental motivation.

Thanks,

Steph

• Options

@Stephanie Weldon That's PERFECT. You are a metronome with your training, but I am happy to help as needed you let me know.

From a macro level, I think the bike is really important now. Later in the year the run will matter more, esp in your summer heat to help you adapt to what's coming in Kona.

What are your Kona Concerns? Let's talk so we can prep!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hey Coach P!

omg I can't believe the year is half over!! Lots of good stuff and I'm staying on track for my year. June really was scary and a blur but I'm so proud of myself for mentally sticking with my plan and being patient with the running.

I'm so stinking excited/nervous but Saturday I leave for KONA to train and do a camp there. I was gifted an opportunity to go to DS Camp but have time on either side to do my own thing. July 28- Aug 6th is a huge chunk of time to get familiar with the area and the course. Here is a breakdown of my trip:

7/27 evening arrive in Kona/check in to apartment

7/28 Sunday - free day- pick up rental bike/play tourist/ RUN

7/29 - 8/2 camp (Mon - Friday) 7a.m - 3p.m. plus dinners M/W/F

We have swim clinic every morning.

Mobility & stretching sessions.

Nutrition sessions.

S/B/R TBD.

Pretty much we are free after 3p.m. to S/B/R at our discretion.

Friday we swim the IM course (as little or much as we'd like).

8/3 Saturday -free

8/4 Sunday -free

8/5 Monday -free

8/6 Tuesday -1/2 day free, noon pack up, 3pm return rental car, 6pm come home

My goals for this trip:

1. Race course recognizance. I want to know this course. The LP camp made me feel so great about racing IMLP. I still feel like I know that course like the back of my hand. I want to feel (and make peace with) those Hawaiian winds and heat!
    2. Bike volume. I'm pretty sure that within the 'camp" volume will be at our discretion. Just not sure how much/how little/how to space out things. I've NEVER had this much uninterrupted quality training time. I want to utilize it wisely. But I'm not afriad to pack in mileage. :)
    3. Swim Technique- so basically Dave Scott is going to pick apart my swim stroke every morning for five days. Again, its not about volume but I'm sure I'll be in the pool every day. I so need this. Its really my best shot for figuring out how to swim better just beyond countless yards in the pool fighting the water. I hope we can find what's wonky with my swim stroke.
    4. Have fun - do things that I can't do come race week: do a snorkel trip, visit the volcano, go to a luau, drive around the island! Come race time in October it will be so tough to carve out time to do these things stress free. This will be the time!!

So basically, if you have any suggestions for

1. volume/focus-what can I do to maximize my time in Kona
    2. fun things to see/do, great places to eat/visit :)
    3. things to be wary of/stay away from

Your podcast on doing your own camp was extremely helpful! I've got food and gear all ready to go. I'm excited. ANY and ALL recommendations/suggestions welcome!!

Thanks so much!!!

Stephanie :)

Note: I do have IMMT 8/17/19 but I'm not worried about that as an A race. I consider it another volume/RR day....a nice one :). Then we have 7-8 weeks to focus on Kona. No gratuitous marathoning...I PROMISE!!!!!! :) haha!!

• Options

@Coach Patrick also I've been scouring the forums for all things KONA....your race reports, member tips, videos, etc.....ok so I finally have head space to spaz out about this. I spaz so hard!! haha! Actually I'm so appreciative and love it!!! :)

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick !

Know you're pretty busy with IMLP folks and its funny how when you sit with your own questions for a spell answers/a plan kinda comes to you. After looking at my schedule and looking at final surge plan for the days I'll be out of town I think I've just come down to trying to hit my main/high priority workouts in the plan and add some bike miles as I feel. Maybe a few extra low intensity runs on Ali'i drive for fun. I'm already going to need to move Saturday's ride to Sunday because of travel but I think that's the only big workout that will be moved. I'm all packed leaving for New Orleans today. Flight to Kona is Saturday.

Hope all goes well in LP!!! Can't believe this will we the first summer in 4 years I won't be there. Will be cheering!!!

Steph :)

• Options

Hey, thanks for your patience as I get the Placid folks squared away this week. To be honest, the most difficult thing is been consoling all of them since you’re not going to be here! 😂

It’s a little hard for me to give you specific advice since I’m not exactly sure where you will be staying on the big Island. By definition the time you spend outdoors will help you get used to what the winds are like, I’m not worried about you in the heat, it’s learning how to be patient and steady with the winds bearing down on you.

Any chance you get to ride the bike course up to Hawi would be a bonus. I’m not sure if you are solo or if you’ll have company, but you can easily ride out there and have someone bring you back, for example.

Don’t underestimate the value of the first two or three days worth of training. You are going to have to adjust your expectations and current zones against what the island is giving you. This is mentally challenging for many people, and will be a process that you’ll need to go through again on Race week. Having some familiarity with that will be really helpful in keeping you calm and centered.

There are many great experiences all over the island, but if snorkeling is your thing, do yourself a favor and get down to “two step.“ This is the best and most accessible snorkeling on that side of the island.

And of course all of the amazing fresh food you can and send pictures back home to make people like Brian Hagan insanely jealous with Rage.

• Options

@Coach Patrick thank you for insights! It feels so not right not being at LP!! I’m having crazy Adirondack withdrawal!! 😂

Im staying at a friends apartment a couple blocks from the Pier. I know ....what an amazing setup!! Yes, I’m crazy spoiled and don’t take any of this for granted. That’s exactly why I want to utilize the time wisely. I’ll have a rental car to explore or visit any part of the island! I figure Saturday August 3rd I can ride up to Hawi (training plan calls for 6 hr ride....PERFECT!!). I’m looking forward to just SEEING it all!!

Quite honestly...I just hope I can get a bunch of this emotional energy OUT of my system. I’ve dreamed, planned and raced for 9 messy years with this as my main goal. My dad is so healthy and I can’t believe how excited he and mom are about coming. Today on my run (smashed it!!) I was listening to Kona reruns ....I tear up still.. I savor every word of race reports. I see pics of the finish line and I’m a mess So hopefully being immersed in all things big island will help me be less emotional and more focused during race week.

Thanks again for snorkeling suggestions! And ABSOLUTELY....gonna share pics of this epic adventure!!

You da best!

Steph :)

• Options

Loving the updates so far...If you want to, you can also post them to the “Endurance Nation Facebook live” group.

If that’s not your thing, no worries. It’s just great to have the updates coming from you right now.

Super glad that your dad is in a good spot, and I hope your roommate is healing quickly!t 🙏