Home General Training Discussions
Options

The One And Only New Member Welcome Thread

Hey you!!! 👋 Great to have you join us in the EN Forums.

Please take a second to say HI to the Team. Feel free to include any relevant information such as:

• Where you live
  • Your job
  • Your race background
  • Your races this season
  • Your hobby / life outside of endurance sports

The archived version of this thread lives online here.

Thanks again!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Hi Team Endurance Nation. My name is Joshua Green and I live in Gibsonville, North Carolina. I work at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro for the Police Department. I am a Technical Analyst for the department. I pretty much handle anything computer related in the building and cars.

I have been involved with endurance sports since 2010. I served in the U.S. Army for 5 years from 1996 to 2001. I suffered a major neck and back injury from a parachute training accident that left me with very limited mobility for about 1 year. I was able to work with a chiropractor that has put me back together. It was in 2010 that my uncle encouraged me to get involved with the sport.

I plan on racing IM Choo in September. It will be my second full as I completed IM Florida in 2012.

My hobbies outside of the sport is my family. We have 2 girls (ages 11 and 5). I do a lot of volunteer work in the community and love traveling. I try to raise as much awareness regarding veterans and the help they may need as the mental health services provided by the military are not the best. My mom and my brother have both served in wars and has left them with a lot of scars.

I really look forward to connecting with this community as it is the one thing I miss from the military.

• Options

Joshua, Welcome to the team. It is great to hear your story. Thanks for your service in the Army and your community and glad to hear you are active and healthy again. I am a retired Marine and really enjoy the community of the team. Lots of good folks with plenty of experience. You are in the right place to tackle IM Choo. Let me know if I can help.

• Options

Another North Carolinian! Welcome, Joshua!

• Options

Welcome to EN @Joshua Green ! Lots of great folks in this community! Glad to have you join!

• Options

Welcome @Joshua Green ! I will be doing Choo this year as well. Looking forward to meeting you!

• Options

Thanks @Sabra Gonzalez ! Looking forward to it as well!

• Options
    edited June 1, 2019 2:05PM

Hi Guys, I'm Masaki from Tokyo Japan.

I work for Japan Brunch at French cheese company Fromageries Bel. I'm in charge of consumer services. I'm proud of this job because I have a lot of opportunities to listen to consumer's voice directly.

In 1992, I finished my first triathlon (Olympic distance).

From 2001, I turned to Long Distance triathlon.

From 2015, I started challenging IRONMAN and took part in IM Philippines last year.

I was lucky enough to get the 4th place and qualified Kona 2018.

I will go to Malaysia to join in IM Malaysia this year. Because No IRONMAN race will be held in Japan this year.

My hobby is traveling, especially like visiting Kyoto with my family. We almost visit every month.

Kyoto is a famous tourist destination with many temples and shrines. I especially like Buddhist statues and ceiling paintings. My blog is only in Japanese, let you enjoy the photos.

http://scribbleofbourgogne.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-4248.html

I look forward to seeing you someday in the race.

• Options

Welcome to Team EN @Masaki Kusunoki ! ... HUGE Congratulations on qualifying for Kona!

• Options

Welcome, @Masaki Kusunoki! I look forward to hearing more from you!

• Options

Welome @Masaki Kusunoki to the team. This is such a great community. Glad to have you part of the family!

• Options
    edited July 23, 2019 11:25PM

Hello Team,

I am glad to be back on the team. Three years ago I moved from Chicago to Houston. I am a CFO of a local government corporation. I enjoy piano studies and spending time with my 17-year old daughter; and, oh yeah, my better half. I last raced in June 2018 at Raleigh 70.3. Last time I raced an IM was 2014 with Patrick at IMMT. I am a BOP, middle-aged guy who wants to learn to enjoy running again. Hey, it is hot, not to mention humid, here in Houston. My A race this year is Augusta 70.3, maybe. But first I will return to CHI for the Chi Tri. Looking forward to seeing you on the course.

• Options

@Frank Wilson - Welcome back! Lots of mojo inside the team to support your training and race goals. I hope to race with you again soon.

• Options

@Frank Wilson Welcome back! Looking forward to hearing more.

• Options

Welcome Back @Frank Wilson ! Good luck with Chi Tri, and Augusta 70.3 (if it happens) ...

• Options

Hello Everyone! My name is Jim Lane and I live in Rohnert Park, California (About an hour north of San Francisco). I'm currently employed by the Redwood Gospel Mission as the manager of men's New Life Program, a long-term residential recovery program. I'm 55 years old and retired in 2016 from a 25-year law enforcement career.

I've been a serious cyclist since 2011, and have been actively involved with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training cycle and tri teams.

I raced my first triathlon last December, in the Indian Wells HIM with Team in Training. That was my first race and first open-water swim in a wetsuit. While I was able to complete the swim, I froze (57 degree water),went off-course 2-3 times and ended up 12 seconds over the time limit. They let me continue, however, and I ended up with a 1:10:12 swim, 3:24:13 bike and 2:46:45 run/walk. A DNF officially, but lit my fire for triathlon and made me realize I really need a coach.

I'm currently training for the Marin County Triathlon (Sprint) on October 19th and the Davis Turkey Trot Half-Marathon on November 23rd. My long-term prep is for the HIM Florianopolis in Brazil next April.

• Options

Hello everyone. I signed up for EN a few days ago.

I live in a small, North Carolina town called Roxboro. I don’t know of any triathletes here other than me, but I am hoping to recruit some.

I work as an attorney in many different practice areas.

I did my first triathlon in 2007. I started doing longer distances in 2015, with a few half iron distance triathlons. Mostly recently I did IM Florida in 2019.

I look forward to meeting everyone in the community!

• Options
    Welcome to the Team Jay! There's lots of knowledge and experience here,
    and sounds like you have a ton as well!

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 8:09 AM Jay Tolin <
    teamenforums+d25722-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

> [image: Endurance Nation Community]
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > Jay Tolin commented on The One And Only New Member Welcome Thread
    >
    > Hello everyone. I signed up for EN a few days ago.
    >
    > I live in a small, North Carolina town called Roxboro. I don’t know of any
    > triathletes here other than me, but I am hoping to recruit some.
    >
    > I work as an attorney in many different practice areas.
    >
    > I did my first triathlon in 2007. I started doing longer distances in
    > 2015, with a few half iron distance triathlons. Mostly recently I did IM
    > Florida in 2019.
    >
    > I look forward to meeting everyone in the community!
    >
    > --
    > Reply to this email directly or follow the link below to check it out:
    >
    > https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/280739#Comment_280739
    > Check it out
    >
    >
  • Options

Welcome, @Jay Tolin! I live in Apex, NC so we are practically neighbors! I know of a few North Carolina ENers -- @Dave Campbell , @Ralph Moore, @Brian Terwilliger, @Mariah Bridges, and I'm sure that there are many more!

• Options

Welcome @Jay Tolin ! I live in Gibsonville, NC. Welcome to the Team. Such a great group of people. Any where you go you feel the EN love!

• Options

Hello Everyone, I signed up for the Team in late November.

I am live in Fort Myers Florida and work as a Supplier Relationship Manager at Safran Oil Systems, an aerospace company.

I started triathlon out of college in the early 90s and got into long distance in early 2000s with my last full in 2010.

I continued to do short course after but have been out of serious training for the last two years.

I plan to do St Anthony's Oly in April and perhaps a full by the end of 2020.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone in the TeamEN community!

• Options

Welcome to the team!

• Options

Welcome to the family!

• Options
    Welcome Bradley! Glad you joined the Team! Tons of great info. and
    experience for you to contribute to, and draw upon ... good luck racing!

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 10:31 AM Bradley Cline <
    teamenforums+d25722-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

> [image: Endurance Nation Community]
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > Bradley Cline commented on The One And Only New Member Welcome Thread
    >
    > Hello Everyone, I signed up for the Team in late November.
    >
    > I am live in Fort Myers Florida and work as a Supplier Relationship
    > Manager at Safran Oil Systems, an aerospace company.
    >
    > I started triathlon out of college in the early 90s and got into long
    > distance in early 2000s with my last full in 2010.
    >
    > I continued to do short course after but have been out of serious training
    > for the last two years.
    >
    > I plan to do St Anthony's Oly in April and perhaps a full by the end of
    > 2020.
    >
    > Looking forward to getting to know everyone in the TeamEN community!
    >
    > --
    > Reply to this email directly or follow the link below to check it out:
    >
    > https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/281026#Comment_281026
    > Check it out
    >
    >
  • Options

Welcome to the team @Bradley Cline !

• Options

Hello everybody,

I joined the EN Team Dec 31. I’m 60 years old and been a triathlete for 21 years. I currently live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. I was recruited into triathlon and mentored by a guy named Mike Lynch in Rhode Island in 1999. We met doing laps in the pool on Wednesday mornings and he and a group of triathletes invited me to join them on their bike ride after. I dusted off an old 10 speed and with infinite patience they let me hang on the back without dropping me and waited at the top of hills. I trained and raced with that group of Triathletes until I moved to Southeast Virginia in 2006.  

I’ve been training alone since the move and racing every 2-3 years. I came across Coach Patrick’s video’s on You Tube while training for IM Maryland last fall. My IM race plans have never worked so I took his advice and much to my surprise I won my age group and qualified for Hawaii. I figure if his race plans work then his training plans will as well.  

I look forward to being a part of a team again. I’m technologically challenged and don’t usually do the Social Media thing so you’ll have to bear with me as I learn. I got me some power meters and dusted off the 20 year old trainer and started using Zwift so hopefully I can get on one of the group rides soon. Whether I can figure out the group me or discord stuff remains to me seen.

Dennis

• Options
    Welcome to the Team Dennis! And CONGRATS on earning Kona spot!!
  • Options

@Jay Tolin @Joshua Green You guys DEF need to consider the Blue Ridge camp or at least driving up for a dayto ride in Boone with the team. I live in Winston and it would be great to meet you guys.

• Options

@Dennis Cruff Great Story! We have lots of folks our age on the team. Zwift is Fun, Espies the team Sat and Sun rides. Come on!

• Options

@Janyne Kizer BLUE RIDGE CAMP! plan now to at least come up for a day.