Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

R2R2R Nutrition (or food in general)

Interested to hear what you brought with you while doing R3 whether it was a solo effort or with a group.

I'm looking for the normal and the wacky, the store bought and the home brews. Let your freak flag fly :)

With obviously no "aid stations" food is a small concern.

Go-

Comments

• Options

FWIW, when doing long run, I like my real food taste the opposite of sport fuel. IE: I would love to put a $hit load of dijon mustard in a wrap so it kills the sugary taste in my mouth.

• Options

@Patrick Large I never did an RR for my R3. I wish I did to refer back to. From memory which is pretty close, I drank scratch, ate 4 various bars, 1 vegemite avocado on pretzel roll sandwich at the halfway point, couple gels, and 1-2 bags of scratch blocks... we had plans for cokes at Phantom Ranch but passed before opening and after closing. That was over the course of 19hrs, also had breakfast of peanut butter and dates on Ezekiel muffin along with coffee.

• Options

@tim cronk I was right there with you until you said "vegemite" That shit is so nasty.

• Options

@Patrick Large I carried skratch drink mix powder, gu gels, payday mini candy bars, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a tube of base salt. I drank nearly all of the Skratch and I ate the candy bars and sandwich. I did use some of the gels but not nearly as many as I carried.

I felt like crap at the North Rim and that impacted my calorie intake. I also didn't feel much like eating later in the day. I know I finished with a much larger calorie deficit than I would have wanted.

I would have loved a coke at phantom ranch on the way back but I was either too early or too late and so that was not an option.

• Options

I carried the following with me:

12 honey Stinger Guโ€™s (various flavors)

4 Blueberry Larabars

4 Kind Bars

2 BonkBreaker bars

2 packs of Honey Stinger chomps

2 other random high calorie bars

That was way more food than I needed, but it was nice to have some variety to pick from, but with that said, I think I had all of my gu's remaining and 4-5 bars in my pack when I finished... Would have been nice to save that weight in my pack.

One of the guys brought some homemade energy bites with him and he shared some with me. They were AWESOME! https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/no-bake-energy-bites/

• Options

@John Withrow what did you tape your toes/feet with?

• Options

I taped my individual toes with paper tape. it's super thin and easy to tear, so I simply built up multiple layers by wrapping it around and taping it onto itself and it worked like a charm. FWIW, this is the same stuff I use to wrap an individual toe in training if I ever get a blister.

The stuff I used on the bottoms of my feet and on my heels is Elastikon tape and it is much tougher and has a stronger stick. You'll need scissors to cut it. This stuff you just stick a single layer to the bottoms with no overlap. I sometimes would get a blister on my inner arch and this tape completely eliminates that.

I then wear Injinji socks which keep everything in it's proper place.

Just like anything else, try this once or twice in training before you use it for the real deal. There's a bit of an art to making the toe tape just tight enough to stay on, but not so tight that it cuts off any circulation. Also, I think it's best to tape all of your toes (and not just a few of them). This way you have tape rubbing on tape instead of tape rubbing on the skin of the next toe over. The tape feels weird for the first ~10-15 mins, but then you literally forget it's on there. I think for R2R2R I just taped them the night before, put a thin pair of socks on and slept in it so I didn't have to mess with it in the morning before we left.

• Options

@John Withrow This is so money... thanks for the info.

I rarely get blisters other than on the tips of my toes, so I am not sure about the bottoms of my feet but definitely for the toes. Also considering the long down hill runs, I'd like to be over prepared.