Home General Training Discussions

Possible gear upgrades: from sleeveless to sleeved wetsuit and/or bike handlebar mounted head unit?

These are two purchases that have been on my radar for about a year. I might do both, or neither, but I want to see if there is input in the relative importance of the two gear additions/upgrades.

Summary:

1) Upgrade from sleeveless wetsuit to sleeved wetsuit (to swim faster)

and/or

2) Get a handlebar mounted GPS for redundancy in the event of malfunction during IM and easier time viewing race metrics while in aero position (as well as some nice bonuses like improved navigation). Right now, I only have wrist-based GPS.

Details/background:

1) I have a sleeveless wetsuit (TYR Hurricane) I like and fits well. I have a sleeved wetsuit from 2010, but I think it is too tight in the shoulders & slows me down (based on racing and training in the two, but I haven't done a careful comparison, I just know I'm not as lean as I was in 2010, getting that thing on is really hard, and it feels constrictive. I also am in between two sizes, and this one is the smaller of the two.). I had some good races in it in 2010, but even then it felt a bit tight in the shoulders (it was the top model of Xterra at the time, vector pro, I think). Part of me kept thinking: well, if i get as lean as I was in 2010, then I can wear the old sleeved wet-suit and be fine. But I don't want to count on me being as small as I was in 2010, and the old wet-suit is starting to get some tears too from age, I think. My understanding is the time saved from a good sleeved vs. sleeveless wet-suit is not negligible. I'm also worried about getting a less expensive or mid-range sleeved wetsuit and feeling restriction in the shoulders. And high-end wetsuits can be pretty pricey. I could also look at something used, I guess. Any experience with buying a used wetsuit? The urine doesn't really bother me as long as no diseases could be transmitted this way (and I'm pretty sure none could).

2) My only source of data while racing/training is my wrist-based Garmin 935 (or my phone, which I don't carry while racing). I see a lot of people use a handle-bar mounted device during the bike part of IM racing, and I've always known that would be easier (and probably safer) than trying to look down at my watch periodically. I'm interested in this because it will be easier to see the data more often when riding in aero and because if something goes wrong with my wrist unit, I'll have a back-up on the bike of my first 140.6 (IMMT in 08/2019). What prompts me to ask this now is that I have a 100 mile gravel road race coming up this Saturday (procrastinating unfortunately). My wrist unit altimeter is broken and I need to send in for replacement. So my only way to read power would be with my iphone XR. Getting the handlebar mounted GPS now would help for the 140.6 and the 100 mile gravel road race (not an A race). Also, the gravel race is only partially marked, so we are expected to navigate. One alternative (cost saving) plan: is to just get a handlebar mount for my i-phone XR and use google maps and the power-tap phone app to monitor power and navigation. The phone is pretty big and heavy though and both my IM and the 100 mile gravel race (Barry Roubaix) have plenty of climbing. My LBS has a Garmin Edge 1000 they said that is normally $500 and they would sell for $350. I'm a sucker for a big discount. The DC Rainmaker review of the edge 1000 seemed pretty good. I do ride outside a lot so that would be nice for navigation and other bonuses (#SegmentHunting).

Part of me thinks: I don't really need to make either of these purchases, so maybe just go with what you have and save some money for other things. But of course, another part of me thinks of all the countless dollars and hours I've invested this far, and these two things seem like pretty high ROI .

If I was going to choose between the two, does one seem like a better performance enhancer? A high-end wetsuit seems like it would be a bigger investment than a head unit that does what I need it to do from a performance standpoint. But a low-mid range wet-suit may be enough to get the performance enhancement relative to a sleeveless wet suit?

Regardless of when (or if) I feel the time is right for me to drop some cash on gear upgrades, I feel like these are the best next gear investments for me (I already have a power meter, I got shorter crank arms on my TT bike, I have an aero helmet, I'm planning to get a rear wheel cover, but that sounds like it is pretty inexpensive anyway). Am I forgetting a different gear upgrade that would be more important? I did read the recent thread on best racing purchases and nothing there jumped out at me as more important.

Thanks!

Comments

• @Larry Peters - I'm only going to comment on the wetsuit. The received wisdom is that a full wetsuit is always faster than a sleeveless. That's true, but only if the water temperature is cool enough to tolerate it. I recall roasting in my full wetsuit in one IM desperately regretting that I did not have a sleeveless with me that day. Further, if you aren't hunting for the podium, I don't think the difference between the two types gives you much value for the buck ... e.g., you are only going to gain a couple of minutes max over a sleeveless in an IM length swim all else being equal.

I don't look at the wetsuit as a speed issue so much as a necessity for some of the races I do. E.g., I don't want to be racing with a sleeveless when the water is in the 60s. I'll just get too cold. You should look at your schedule and see how many races you are doing in cold water to decide if you simply need it for comfort. And if you do decide on getting one, there are tremendous deals to be had every fall, especially around Black Friday.

• edited April 9, 2019 10:04PM

Cool, thanks a ton @Paul Hough ! I am definitely not in the hunt from the podium, so I think that is good advice. I was thinking that might be what people had to say (its only buying yourself a couple minutes), but I was curious. I don't have any important races with cold water, so I think I can stick with my sleeveless wetsuit (predicted IMMT water temp is 71 deg F). I'm doing a local (West Michigan) Oly tri in late May which might be cold, but I could squeeze into my old full sleeve wetsuit for that race if I need to and won't mind being slowed down a bit. Thanks! (and yeah, cyber Monday is my favorite. I was on the fence about buying one this year over that weekend and didn't pull the trigger. But i guess it isn't worth it unless I have a really cold race A race or get substantially faster down the road and might "need" those 2 minutes.)

• @Larry Peters Real swimmers can swim faster with no wetsuit. I am not one of them. All summer long I swim the same mile in my lake, I am consistently faster by 30-60 seconds on average per mile in my full suit vs. sleeveless. For big guys or those that run hot fullsuit can be a heat issue but if it’s wetsuit legal I will go long sleeve every time.

Huge fan of bike mounted specific headset right between my wrists in the aero bars. Only because I crashed my bike while looking at my wrist mount. I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer. Depends on what you need but there are many cheaper options than the Garmin 1000 that would do everything you need, like the Garmin 520. I know many like the wahoo which I would also look at if I was in the market. You could also mess with the quick release wrist mount and switch back and forth but it’s really nice having a specific bike unit.

• edited April 9, 2019 11:36PM

Awesome, thanks a million @tim cronk ! "Only because I crashed my bike while looking at my wrist mount." I really appreciate you sharing that! I have to admit I've thought to myself a few times that looking down at my wrist is a risk (because I've looked down at my wrist many times while riding). Crash avoidance is probably one of the best arguments to get a new piece of gear. I should've googled the other units. The 520 plus is cheaper and smaller/lighter. Sweet! Thanks! I'll look at Wahoo too. If I'm going to do it, I'd be willing to spend a little extra to have it in my hands asap so I can try it out and race with it Saturday, so I'll probably look at what LBS have in stock. I would be breaking a race execution rule with new piece of gear, but this is not an A race. So far, bike computer > full sleeve wetsuit. Thanks guys!

• one thing I did in the past Rob was to wear my watch with the face on the inside of my wrist. When in aero, I could easily see the display. Just a thought as you work through this. Not in aero, mounted works better, in aero I thought it worked well.

• @Larry Peters Rob: Triangulated advice via $$, speed value, need.

I second @tim cronk on the BTA head unit. Mandatory for safety. My life-threatening crash in 2010 was due to looking at my *stem* mounted computer. You need it out front, no question.

As to speed, sleeved wins every time. The only question, is, which one. Xterra is the best value in terms of $/ quality received, assuming you take advantage of their perennial 60% off offers. BUT for a Big Guy like you, ease of shoulder movement is critical. While the suppler/more expensive neoprenes are a good choice, DeSoto two piece is worth a look. There is ZERO tug from the hips, as it is two piece. And it is cut to position your arms out in front of you, which puts you shoulders in the proper position to begin with. My race suit of choice the past 15 years, even though I have occasionally used one piece supple suits I always come back to it.

$$ - You can get an Edge 520 for $230 from Amazon - I don't see the extra value in the 1000 for racing or training triathlon.

I assume you already have the higher value watt savers: wheel cover, aero helmet, good bike fit. If not, spend your wetsuit $ there first.

FWIW, I use my watch as my "back-up" head unit, as most others do, I would guess.

• Another vote for the Edge 520 Plus. In addition to not-crashing benefits, it will give you the backup of your race you mentioned (I have had my watch not record the bike because I hit lap the wrong number of times in transition). And you get navigation which can be handy.

I push the 520 Plus pretty hard (linked to Varia Radar, Varia Vision, 4 different sensors, and sometimes following a course) and it has been working well. The 520 that preceded it also worked 99% of the time, though it would sometimes lock up on hot days.

• Thanks a ton @Scott Giljum , @Al Truscott , and @Mike Westover !

Scott, I appreciate that. I have heard people mention that as an option, but haven't tried it. I also really like the idea of having a back-up source of data if my wrist unit fails on the "big day." Have you raced a 140.6 with only a wrist unit?

Al - thanks a ton for the advice on the wetsuit and providing another example of how careful we have to be when looking down at a computer. Yes, I have those other gear items you mentioned.

Mike - it is stories like yours and other EN I've read that makes me really want another source of data during the bike leg of my 140.6.

All the positive feedback on the Garmin 520 plus helps a lot too. Thanks guys!

• @Al Truscott , the best price I"m seeing on amazon for garmin edge 520 plus is $280, not $230. Was your "$230" a typo, or do you have better amazon shopping skills than I do? :) If you have the link to the $230 deal, could you send it my way? Thanks!

• @Larry Peters I think $230 was for the older Edge 520. The best price I have seen for the Plus was $230 with a $50 rebate around Black Friday last year. This year it has been bouncing between $250-$280 (based on camelcamelcamel).

• edited April 10, 2019 10:08PM

Cool, thanks a ton @Al Truscott , I see now your post was about 520 and not 520 plus. My mistake! Thanks for sending the link!

Cool, thanks @Mike Westover , that is consistent with what I have seen! I expect the turn-by-turn navigation in the plus will be really useful for racing this partially unmarked 100 mile course coming up.

• The last IM I did was just using my watch Rob, so yes, I have done it that way. I prefer less is more on the day, but definitely understand the desire for a solid backup. On my road bike I use the old school 520 and it works great.

• @Larry Peters - if you spend time trolling two groups on Facebook

tri 'n sell it - https://www.facebook.com/groups/trinsell/

Online Swapmeet - https://www.facebook.com/groups/onlineswap/

you will see tons of gear come up. there are a lot of people that buy stuff get into the sport for a year and leave.. I have personally sold a lot of old stuff that I would have otherwise thrown out.. if you spend time on it, you can see where things are selling and hit buyers with offers that will get you the deal and save tons of dough. sometimes this means buying the 520 instead of the 520 plus.. etc..

i would also take a hard look at the wahoo elmnt bolt.. much simpler to operate as it pairs with your phone..

• I am selling my 520 if you want as i dont need it anymore

• @Francis Picard - can you ship it across the border? 😂 if not, you may have to come to my camp to deliver it! 😎

• @Larry Peters I have raced with 920 only, but I did have the quick release and mounted it BTA when on the bike. Takes a little messing to get it sorted when you start the bike leg, and you have to remember to move it back to the wrist for the run. That being said, I now have the 520 on the bike. It's for sure better. But it can be done the other way if your budget demands. Don't crash!!

• Awesome, thanks a ton @scott dinhofer , @Francis Picard , @Sid Wavrin , @Scott Giljum !

Scott G - ok, good to know. Part of my consideration is also my 100 mile gravel race tomorrow when I won't have my wrist unit.

Francis - awesome, thanks a ton for the offer! I should've posted this sooner. If I'm going to get a unit, I want it for tomorrow. I picked up a 520 plus from my LBS, and I think I'm going to use that tomorrow.

Sid - cool, glad to have another share an experience with wrist-unit only.

Scott D - awesome resources, thanks! I will have to troll those pages for a possible new sleeveless wetsuit.

Happy Friday guys! Thanks a ton again for the help!