Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

Is ERG Mode Making Me Weaker Riding Outside??

Looking for other's experience/insight as I'm sure this has been debated in the past.

Background: I've used a regular trainer for 6 years. Initially only used it for Winter training/OS and evolved to using year round for all weekday workouts, many weekend rides and have done 3 - 5 hour rides. I've mostly used TrainerRoad and more recently added Zwift rides/races. Again, I was using a regular trainer. This past Fall, I purchased a smart trainer and started using ERG mode for all structured workouts, which I've grown to like because all you have to do is pedal. I won't say ERG is easier than resistance mode. In some aspects I think it's harder...you can't cheat it. You will push xxx watts until the end of the interval...there's no slacking. Whereas in resistance mode you can end up under (bad) or over (good or bad) the target watts.

I've heard the pros/cons of using ERG mode. Personally I figured with ERG making you ride at specific watts at a self selected cadence had a better training effect than generating watts in resistance mode, especially at the end of Z4 intervals where it's typical for power to fade. Now, I'm starting to think that since resistance mode is more like riding outside/IRL, it's better to use resistance mode for structured workouts?

Now, as I transition to riding outside, I'm finding it's hard to hold the same watts as I currently do on the trainer (structured or in Zwift). I have not experienced this in past years and my only explanation is ERG vs resistance mode.

I haven't tested my outside/aero position FTP yet, but typically, it's ~10 watts higher outside than inside. I transitioned to my tri bike the beginning of March and now I'm doing 75%-85% of my trainer rides in aero position, except for Z5 workouts where I'm on the bull horns.

Thoughts? Which mode do you use, why?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Derrek Sanks Great timing on this post. I did my first outdoor intervals in probably 18 months yesterday. Like you, I usually do them indoors on le Zwift in erg mode. I like erg mode, because I do not have to think, I just pedal and maybe very my cadence a little just for fun.

Also, my FTP is usually higher outside as well. I think this is because my body temp is lower, so I'm not spending as much energy cooling myself.

My intervals outside yesterday did not go as well as I would have liked. My main issue, is I forgot how to pace them. I was supposed to do them at 275. I found I would start out over 300 and then fade my way down. I got better by the later ones, but I blew a lot of matches going too hard in the beginning.

Also, I was not used to the varying elevation and having to constantly shift to keep my watts where I needed them. The road I picked is fairly flat, but there are enough ups and downs to require about 3 gears.

I am sure I will get better at pacing with more experience. Also, I had to turn around in the middle of the interval to stay on the road. I don't have a good road to do much longer 8 or 9 minutes without either a stop sign or a turn around.

Along with those challenges its just harder to stay focused and keep the required effort to maintain the targeted watts over the interval.

My thought is that indoors is higher quality, because you can hit your targets without having to think too much. However, we can both get better at doing them outside with practice.

FYI... I think I will FTP Test outside next week to see what happens. I'd like to know before my coming race in a few weeks.

Also, please update your signature to your 2019 races ;)

• Options
    edited May 16, 2019 5:53PM

My thoughts are that ERG mode is quality work that resembles riding outside on flat terrain. Flat terrain or flat races like IMTX or IMCOZ (both of which I have raced) pay dividends to a rider that can hold sustained watts in aero position for a long time without spiking up an elevation change or changing into a big gear for a downhill segment.

ERG mode does not train you so well for the technicalities of outdoor elevation changes (like IMWI, IMMT, IMLP) where you will need to employ a different mix of fast/slow twitch muscles along with constant focus on gearing changes.

Mixing up the two periodically will most likely provide the best overall stimuli, however, as you approximate your key race, you will need to pick your poison and apply more race specific wkos based on your expected race conditions.

• Options

I have used mostly erg for years with some success.

And some zwift racing for the outseason this year.

agree that erg mode not the best for training for courses that vary often.

for race length rides I simulate the planned Watts per time.

• Options

for me outside = higher watts by 10 watts - 10%.. Tribike I believe is lower watts than roadbike.

you will always produce less watts in aero position than in bullhorns. the Road bike on the hoods & tribike bullhorns are an angle for your back, and legs to generate the most power.

I think that the variability of terrain and slight variability in power from riding outside make it easier as well to endure the intervals.

inside I find that the mental focus incredibly tougher, no distractions, no variability, but being locked in by the ERG is helpful

• Options
    edited May 17, 2019 1:39AM

I don't like ERG mode myself, but I am a picky picky mofo. I just like to push the watts I should see, and the resistance of my kick and the "terrain" of Zwift keep me honest. I do like the mental simplicity of intervals in workout mode, and I think Zwift has nailed the interface here for sure. But I'm an "all natural" trainer interval rider!!!

ps I say watts are watts. Unless you are using a different Powermeter inside (Kickr indoors and actual powermeter outdoors) then It's likely in your head (and not your legs).

• Options

Agree with watts are watts. Especially during an Ironman build I set my Kickr to be governed by my Quarq. The Quarq being what I will be racing with.

• Options

I loved ERG for quite a few years on the Computrainer with Trainerroad. Having used a dumb trainer for the last few years I prefer it.

ERG certainly has some good points as mentioned above, but to answer @Derrek Sanks question. NO its defintely not making you weaker, I think the only downside maybe loss of skill to ride the power you want, which will be regained in a mere few rides outside, or even Zwift resistance rides which are your races and most of the EN rides , are they not?

• Options

Thanks for your responses. Great seeing everyone's preferences. I'm planning to mix it up and get back to doing Z4 intervals in resistance mode and use Zwift for steady Z2 rides with trainer difficulty set to 100% to better simulate riding IRL.

@Brian Hagan Agree and signature is updated. Thanks.

@tim cronk - In Zwift, I recently changed my trainer difficulty from 20% to 100%. Now, I'm changing gears a lot to stay in a power range...big difference. Agree with "loss of skill" that comes with using ERG.

Thanks for your insight @robin sarner and @scott dinhofer

@Shaughn Simmons - As stated above, I plan to mix it up. Thanks.

@Coach Patrick I like your old school with new tech approach! With my dumb trainer, pushing the watts I wanted to see was all I knew. Now, these smart trainers give too many options. LOL. Since I'm using the same power meter inside and outside, it MUST be all in my head. ๐Ÿค” Good point! Ok, I'm getting back to training. ๐Ÿ˜‚