Home General Training Discussions
Options

Ironman St George

Has anybody seen the bike and run course for this race yet? Looking for routes and elevation gains if you know. Thinking about the race but a little hard to commit without knowing that info. Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

https://www.mapmyfitness.com/us/hurricane-ut/st-george-ironman-bike-course-route-65645274 is a prior iteration of the bike course; I'd expect it will be just about as rough this time.

Ditto for https://www.mapmyrun.com/us/hurricane-ut/ironman-st-george-run-route-5981814 being one loop of the old run course. Again, can't imagine it being much easier...

Just be like the cool kids and commit without knowing... 😀

• Options

Bill,

Thanks for the info, just did the half and was just wondering if had to do Snow climb twice. Should be a great event but wife will not be able to make it since she is taking four days for the Marine Corps Marathon this fall. So looks like Boulder it is.

• Options

Not joining the cool kids, eh? Well, I'll likely be at Boulder volunteering next year (and probably this year), so I may see you there (although you should hope not, since I'll likely be in medical...).

• Options

I guess I forgot to ask if you are going and how many other EN folks will be in SG. It does intrigue me. Would love to meet up with you next year at some point in Boulder but like you said not where you will be stationed

• Options
    edited May 30, 2019 5:46PM

Per @Coach Patrick 's digest email this morning, 83% of the team is going!

Seriously, though, I think I counted 10+ in the GroupMe registered so far. Off the top of my head (hoping the @ mentions will attract others to speak up):

@Peter Noyes , @Shaughn Simmons , @Brian Hagan , @Scott Imlay , @Sid Wavrin , @Tim Sullivan (not sure which of the three Tims that came up), @Danielle Santucci , @Mike Roberts , @Jeremy Behler , @Nam Lam , @Teri Cashmore , @Sheila Leard , probably others I missed...

(edit: adding @Jeff Horn, @robin sarner, @Mark Hickman, @Stephanie Stevens, @Patrick Hayden, @Edwin Croucher, and @John Culberson )

And, no, I don't want to see anyone in EN kit in medical (or anyone really) except on a social visit!

• Options

I’m in too. I don’t know why I keep going back to St George year after year, but I think 2020 is going to be the most fun year yet.

• Options

OMG this will be so fun!!! I am really looking forward to this one. I was supposed to do the 70.3 in 2015 but missed out cause collarbone.

• Options

Hrmm, seriously thinking on this one. Did it the last year they had it and got blown around a bunch.

• Options

I will not be doing *this* race, but... I am rafting the Grand Canyon starting May 6th, so I very well may show up in St George to add to the mojo, on my way to the put-in on the Colorado @ Lee's Ferry.

AND, I'll remind everyone that the 70.3 World Championship will be in St George in 2021. I fully intend to be competing there (probably September?), and invite everyone to look ahead towards possible qualification opportunities.

Also, there's no such thing as an "easy" or "hard" Ironman. Some just take longer than others to finish. This one will take an hour (or more) longer than the average IM. But don't let that scare you off. It simply means you are working *easier* for a *longer* time than that standard IM.

• Options

Hmmm. No 140.6’s since Coach P talked me through a rough marathon in 2013. Wonder what I’ve learned since then?

• Options
    edited May 18, 2019 3:04AM

I’m in with the cool kids... racing the old guys ;-)

• Options

AND, I'll remind everyone that the 70.3 World Championship will be in St George in 2021. I fully intend to be competing there (probably September?), and invite everyone to look ahead towards possible qualification opportunities.

Good reminder from @Al Truscott 70.3 Worlds qualification races start in July 2020

• Options

I'm in; I feel a little sick inside.

• Options

@Mark Hickman

1. Might not want to read race reports from 2012
    2. Lots of people LOVE this race
  • Options

@John Culberson I prefer epic, and love the team atmosphere, so I already know I'm going to love it...but maybe hate it during the build up...cause racing's easy; it's the training that's hard, right!

...as I recently heard an Army officer state, "if it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing!"

• Options

Well I signed up so I will see you all there, we will see if it is as epic as when I did it in 2012.

• Options

Updated list above with all who’ve spoken up (including on FB thread, I think).

• Options

So tempted to put on the spandex again for this race but I'll probably double down on being a hippy ultrarunner in 2020. My PSA is expect is to be fucking hot on the run. I've done St George 70.3 three times. Twice it hit 90F on the run. It's super exposed, like the surface of the Sun. Have your go-bag and heat protocol down solid. That's tough to do in May.

• Options

Bahahaha. Too funny re the heat, Gabe, but thanks for the heads up.

• Options

signed up for the full.

did it in 2011.

i assume the run will be the same ?

hardest run of all the ironmans i have done. up/down. up/down. train to run fast downhill.

• Options

I was going to swear off Ironman, especially fulls, but drawn back to this one for some reason. No ironman is easy, but this one looks especially difficult. Can't wait.

• Options

My best effort at run course topo includes two climbs and two descents each loop:

0-3mi and 13-16mi: 3mi at 1.5% Up

7-10mi and 20-23mi: 3 mi at 2.6% Up

Of course out-and-back means same distance/grade Down. NO FLATS

Notice: Last 5K is downhill ;-)

• Options

@John Culberson Share link?

This sounds a lot like the course when I did the 70.3 in 2013. That was fun; I ran it entirely on an even HR with great success. Not steep enough either up or down to be a problem.

• Options

if the run is the same as when i did the full previously, by far the hardest iron run i have done.

• Options
    edited July 29, 2019 11:44PM

I have been hesitant to sign up as I am very intimidated given the reputation and previous posts (I have only done Mt Tremblant which was plenty hilly for me), the course maps look a bit better than I thought though (6150ft elevation on bike, 770 ft on run - although that may be per loop..):

https://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/st.-george/course.aspx#axzz5v6zMPjLi

The bike at least looks different than the link previously posted, does the run match your recollection? looking at it, it may be different from the constant up/down mentioned in previous posts. Then I guess there is the heat...

• Options

I did the full in 2011.

i think the run looks about the same. just slow it down going up and out each lap. run the downhill coming back each loop. practice running downhill and grab some free speed.

i think the bike looks entirely different. so will discover it with you folks.

• Options

They said in the run preview video on FB that they'd flattened the run course some and put more of it in the shade (on a bike path or something). There's only 770' of climbing, so it's not terrible, and as @robin sarner says, plenty of opportunity for free speed on the back side of each loop.

• Options

Heading down to Vegas mid month from Oregon to visit my wife's mom and on the way back to Montana I am going to try and recon as much as the course as possible since I am now doing the race. I will do my best to help out with info. Any specific requests?

• Options

Thanks @robin sarner @Bill Manard , I jumped in and signed up for this. It already hurts!

• Options

@Bill Manard isn't that 770' per loop? I thought I had heard 1500' for the run.