Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Maskai Kusunoki Official Coaches Thread

Here's your Season Roadmap, as promised.

The intent of this plan is to give you a guide as to how you can use our training plans to achieve your goals. You have access to all EN Plans via the Final Surge platform (more plans are added all the time) as well as our resources and other relevant items. Our goal is to help you become the best Self Coached Athlete you can be.

Coach Notes

>> Watch my coach video here

Your Races

• 08/18/2019 (Olympic-distance ) Triathlon Sagishima
  • Other 10/26/2019 Ironman Malaysia

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Final Surge Platform at any time, and you can learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page. If you need to load particular weeks into Final Surge, here’s how you can that without cluttering up the calendar.

• Last updated by Coach on 05/07/2019
  • On  5/6/2019    Load the    Summer Speed Camp, 8 wks, All Levels [Long Course]  to end on 6/23/2019
  • On  6/16/2019   Load the    EN Half, Minimalist, 12 Weeks   to end on 8/18/2019
  • On  8/5/2019    Load the    EN*Full Bike Focused    to end on 10/27/2019
  • On  10/28/2019  Load the --  Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on   11/24/2019
  • On  11/25/2019  Load the --  Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on 12/22/2019
  • On  12/23/2019  Load the --  Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on 1/19/2020
  • On  1/20/2020   Load the --  Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on 2/16/2020

Your Notes

Ironman Hawaii 2018 in 10:48.

Ironman Philippines 2018 in 11:22

Ironman Korea 2017 in 11:27

Ironman Cairns 2016 in 11:36

Ironman Taiwan 2015 in 11:46

I have a 27-year career in triathlon. It includes 19-times experience as a long distance triathlon.

I was suffering from LOH "late onset hypogonadism" in 2018. But the treatment was finished.

So recently I keep to run less than 200 km a month because the doctor advised me.

I have the meniscal tear in my left knee in 2015. It did not have surgery, but there is no problem with the triathlon now.Running 5 times a week. Swimming 2 times a week. Ride a bike 3 times a week ( almost ride with ZWIFT)

My current indicator is 92 CTL, 92 ATL, 1 TSB.

In April, I swimed 27km, ride a bike 739km, runed 173km.

Part One: Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.  

Your First Season Inside Endurance Nation

Our top two goals are to get you training with our plans and learning how to race Endurance Nation style. Synchronizing you with the Final Surge Log will ensure you are doing the right work at the right time. With this momentum in place, our goal is to educate you (via the Racing Section) on what it means to put together the best possible race. While you don’t have access to all of our resources in the PlanEN level, you can still prepare for your best possible race!

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and learning opportunities to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

If you need to contact me, you can use the Chat Box at the top of the Final Surge page:

Questions

• Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach Patrick

Comments

• Options
    edited May 29, 2019 9:02AM

I ask about the monthly volume of workout.

I prepared for Ironman last season,

MAR.2018: Swim 15.5km, Bike 494km, Run 265km

APR.2018: Swim 25lm, Bike 699km, Run 219km

MAY.2018: Swim 24km, Bike 901km, Run 249km

So I got Kona but I got sick.

I joined EN from this May and I feel that workout time is decreasing and performance is increasing.

How much volume will you proposal in preparation for Ironman Malaysia in Oct?

I am very happy with EN. That's because workouts are more efficient and take less time.

I look forward to the plan of June.

Thanks

Masaki

• Options

Masaki -

Thank you for sharing some of your historical data. I agree, this time of year is much more about quality and not quantity of training. Your preparation for Malaysia will truly begin in July and volume will increase from there.

If you like, you can go to Final Surge under training plans and preview the IRONMAN plans to get a sense of what the weekly volume will look like. Not all weeks will be super big but you will definitely be doing A lot of good work!!

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach Patrick,

Thank you for your reply. I checked Full focused bike plan. That's wonderful! Because the plan with rich variations is so tough, but it looks interesting. Haha.

Masaki

• Options

I think you can handle it, I will be excited to see your progress. Let me know how it’s going and I will check in.

• Options

(Weekly review) First, I finished all the plans. Second, I established my new FTP. Thanks.

• Options

New FTP! That’s great news. When is your next recovery week, and how does your body feel?

• Options

The next recovery week is from July 8th. My filing is not bad.

• Options

(Weekly review) I have tried 5000 m Time Trial since 2011. 18' 09" is the worst time of my life, but it is true and I will be accept.

Japan is in the rainy season. Outdoors working out will be difficult but I enjoy it.

• Options

Thank you for the update. For the record, there are probably 250 athletes on the team here that would love to have such a time! Remember, it’s the overall aerobic engine that we’re building so don’t get too hung up on those tests. They are usually more “impressive” in the winter when we have less volume in our system. Stay dry and stay safe! 👍

ps - enjoy that rest week!

• Options

(Weelly review) This week was Hard Week #3. But I was rest from Friday to Sunday on the business trip. I will rest for recover until next Thursday, and start working out again from Friday.

The rescheduling for only 3 days is a good idea.

• Options

That’s perfect. I like how strategic you are with recovery. Since I have your attention, can you share with me which of your weekly sessions — or which particular weekday — is your most challenging?

• Options
    edited July 11, 2019 7:25AM

My most challenging is definitely a long ride bike with turbo trainer. I have never done with the turbo trainer for more than an hour. Your plan is suitable for turbo trainer as the zones are set up in detail. Actually I am surprised two long rides planned in this week. However they will make me stronger and give me pleasure.

• Options
    edited July 14, 2019 7:46AM

(Weekly review) I did personal training camp at home from Friday night and almost finished.

I did Half bike sim on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday brick run was tough because I was riding hard on ZWIFT race. So I tried to steady Sunday.

(Question) Would you tell me about the pace of bikes at the Olympic distance. How much output-power(FTP %) should I keep?

• Options

I still have not received an answer last week's questions... Would you tell me about the pace of bikes at the Olympic distance. How much output-power(FTP %) should I keep?

(Weekly review)

I did not feel well , especially Wednesday was too bad. so I could not complete Wednesday's workout.

I will adjust my workout according to my physical condition this week.

• Options

@Masaki Kusunoki Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Most of the information about race pacing is located under the Racing section of our website where you can read about the guidance for all manner of Races. In general the goal for an Olympic distance triathlon is to ride at your threshold the bike power. This is approximately 95%. If you would achieve this by getting on the bike and settling in for the first 5 to 10 minutes at an easier wattage while you start your nutrition and make sure everything is working. Then he will quickly ramp up to the threshold effort and do your best to stay at that number for the majority of the ride. If there are a few short Hills where being aggressive can make a difference, you can do that and then use the downhill side to recover a bit.

It sounds like you’re carrying a large amount of fatigue coming out of the big weekend, I am glad that you will rest a bit this week. Remember, we need to be able to absorb the fitness, not just do more workouts. Everyone has a limit and being able to listen to that you can be a critical success factor. Please let me know when you are back on track.

• Options
    edited July 24, 2019 8:30AM

I will take a bit rest as your advice. By the way, I have bad news. I have relapsed LOH syndrome (late-onset hypogonadism). By blood test, the lower limit of free testosterone is 8.5pg / ml. I only have 5.8pg / ml.

I am talking to my doctor and my workouts may be reduced a little. But please give me the full menu as before. I would like to decide whether to do or not depending on my condition. Thanks

• Options

(Weekly review) Since I avoided the weekend's big day, the situation became better. I have a business trip this week. I will try only high priority plans.

(Question)  Have you ever coached an athlete with LOH Syndrome?

I like your plans. I think that the cause of this issue is me who failed to recover. I skipped recovery week. And I continued the plans too much. I will stop doing all the plans, add or reduce. Thanks

• Options

@Masaki Kusunoki thank you for reaching out to me again, and I apologize for not responding to you sooner. I have not coached anyone who has explicitly told me they have LOH But that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

If you are interested in the teams feedback, many of whom are doctors, you can post a question to the general discussion forums about experience dealing with LOH.

For right now, I agree on prioritizing the workouts so that you get only the most important ones done and give yourself opportunities to recover. When you are ready, feel free to write a note for me here and I will take a look at your training log to give you more feedback when you need it. 👍

• Options
    edited August 5, 2019 8:46AM

(Weekly review) My weekly TSS reached 831. That is never bad condition. Then this week is period of rest. I gonna rest enough and fully prepared without hurry. I think this is one of the good choice. On August 18, it is a top priority to finish safely in this race, however I think it is a good opportunity to check my condition. I wish a lot of fun.

• Options

That is excellent @Masaki Kusunoki - I hope you enjoyed the rest. Please let me know about the race when you can!

• Options

(Weekly review) I took a completely rest from Aug 5th to 8th. I maybe recovered. Then I slowly worked on the weekly plan. I felt fine. Finally this weekend is the B race. I enjoy a lot.

• Options

(Race review) I took part in B race "Triathlon Sagishima". I have no power date because of power mater did not work. I lost time due to lost course and some troubles in the swim part. The temperature overed 30 ℃ and I could not ride with the target power on the bike course. I tried to change to the Hart-rate control, but my bike pace was slow down. The running pace was also slowed by the heat. After the goal, I vomited 3 times due to heat stroke.

"Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. by Thomas Edison"

I strongly believe that learning from this experience is important.

• Options

Thank you for the update I’ve been following do your friends and their training as well and I cannot believe how it’s terrible the weather has been for your training and racing. I am impressed that you got it done, but it sounds like those were the worst possible conditions to be raising in. I agree that there are some good lesson learned there for you.

First you didn’t solve why your power meter would not pair. Sometimes you need a new battery? What do you think?

Second, the fact that you threw up told me that your nutrition with not being absorbed. What is your fluid choice I have enough electrolytes in it to make it effective?

What else would you consider changing after this race?

• Options

Thank you for your reply.

About Power meter:

Remaining of the battery amount was 83% when I check now. It is enough. And during the race, the number of power was displayed on the lezyne's GPS. So I guess there is a problem with the wristwatch (Garmin FR 735XT). I gonna test the equipment on the weekend.

About my nutrition:

My supplement is a combination of maltodextrin powder and electrolyte powder. There was no problem with last year's Ironman Phillipines and Ironman Hawaii. Perhaps the cause of poor health may have been bitten by a jellyfish during warm-up of swimming.

Let me think about whether to change after a little more testing.

• Options

Ok sounds good to both...sometimes with the Garmin you need to remove the device from the watch and then pair it again from Bluetooth.

Keep me posted and no more jellyfish!!! 😱

• Options

@Masaki Kusunoki - I have fixed your training plan for you now. Please view ahead Final Surge and let me know if there are any edits you would like me to make, etc!

Side note: I think it might be a good idea for you to add your own workout note (new item on training plan menu) to show a rest week so that I can see when you adjusted your weeks by looking at your training log.

• Options

Thank you for modifying the plan. By the way my 11th week plan is missing. Did you count again from the race day? If the new plan is correct, this weekend is the 11th week, so it is necessary to ride the Big Challenge Day ride tomorrow Saturday.

• Options

(Weekly review) I tried Challenge Ride on the weekend. I thought it was easy to keep in zone 1(169-196w), but it was pretty hard even in 4 hours. It may have been a little affected by over 30 ℃.

My performance may be a downtrend. Therefore, the number of FTP may not be correct for me now. I gonna FTP test this week and adjust my FTP.

(About Power meter) I removed and paired again. I confirmed that the power meter is working. Thank you for your advises.

• Options

I’m glad to hear that the power meter is working again, that could be really frustrating. As for the challenge ride, it’s important to remember that even easy efforts become challenging overtime. It’s an important mental lesson learned for you. In fact, it’s one I personally have to relearn every single year.

It’s possible that your FTP has dropped, that’s pretty common this time of year as we begin to add more endurance to your schedule. While you’re our power has dropped, I would expect to see that your three hour, four hour, and longer power numbers have improved. Do you have a sense for how those have changed?

• Options
    edited September 4, 2019 8:13AM

(Reply) I have a few sense to change. Because I tried Long challenge ride(2x50', Zone2 + 3x25', Zone3) last week end. That was really hard for me. but next day, I felt eazy to "ABP + steady".

(Week 12 review) Good point: Swim's T-pace is now 3 seconds faster. Probably the first trial was a failure.

Bad point: Bike FTP has dropped by 13 watts. I don't care about it because this is a seasonally. Running 5 km Time Trial did not finish at 4 km. I was aiming for sub 18 ' but stopped because it was difficult to achieve.

(Note: Change camp schedule) In Japan, from September 21th to 23th are holidays, so I want to held The Big 3 days challenge.