Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Ross Randolph 2019 Eagleman 70.3 Race Plan

Appreciate any & all feedback from the team!

Background:

• First 70.3 since Langkawi (Malaysia) in November 2018.
  • 43, 5’10”, 150-155 lbs
  • Swim TT pace = 1:20-1:22/100 yards
  • Bike FTP = 240-245W
  • Run FTP = 6:00-6:10/mile (5K VDOT)
  • Strong swimmer & runner. Have been working over winter & spring to improve bike. Looking forward to see if I can put it all together in Eagleman.

Goals:

• Want to have a solid, end-to-end race – ninja execution. Have been working on improving bike all winter & spring and hope to see the ROI, but not at expense of a good run.
  • Expect it to be hot – may need to dial back power & pace expectations depending on HR.

Race Plan:

Race Morning Nutrition:

• Bagel with peanut butter (1/2 @ hotel, rest on way to transition)
  • Banana
  • Coffee
  • ½ Gatorade
  • Hammer Gel about 30 minutes before swim start

Swim

• Wetsuit legal? (Expect to lose about 0:10/100 yard without one, deal with it.)
  • Line up with 30 minute group (rolling start?).
  • New pair of goggles (tinted for sun). Don’t touch the lenses!
  • Breathe on the left, buoys on the right. Find fast feet & follow the bubbles.
  • Sight every 5-10 strokes.

T1

• Keep goggles & swimcap on; peel wetsuit or skinsuit to waist
  • Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
  • Socks on 1st, sunglasses & helmet. Goggles & wetsuit in T1 bag.

Bike

First 20 minutes

• Start Garmin; be prepared to power cycle. For some reason, although I leave Garmin 1000 on after calibration and have it ready, when I come out of the water the ‘start’ button hasn’t worked the last two 70.3’s. It doesn’t do it in race rehearsals. Weird.
  • Start liquid GE; HR may be high after swim – it should come down within first few miles …?
  • Target Power = 170-175W
  • Target HR = 130 bpm (Zone 2)

20 minutes – 1 hour

• Take first Clif Blok (3 per hour – keep sleeve in back pocket; rotate Cherry with caffeine & Watermelon with salt)
  • Start increasing Power; target = 190-200W (Zone 3); HR 140-145 bpm
  • Hydrate about every 5-10 minutes; stay aero, use bottles from cage to refill – refill with bottle every 30 minutes. It may be hot – be prepared to adjust from 2 bottles to hour to 3 per hour.
  • Look for aid station around Mile 14. Will need one, maybe two bottles of GE.

1 hour – 2 hour

• Nutrition Clif Bloks (every 20’)
  • Maintain power but adjust if needed based on HR (HR cap @ 150 bpm)
  • Look for aid station around Mile 28. Probably only need one GE bottle. (?)

2 hour – T2

• Nutrition Clif Bloks (every 20’)
  • Opportunity to power up? Make a move around Mile 40-50 …? (Thinking not more than 210W? Want to protect the run.)
  • Last aid station around Mile 45. As approach aid station, make sure you have aero tank at least ½ full. If you have two bottles, no need to take on more. (Only take on board bottles to get you to T2.)

T2

• No running dismount, nothing fancy. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
  • Rack bike, helmet off – grab Go Bag and GO! (Everything I need – fuel belt w/ filled water bottles, bib, visor in the bag.)

Run

• First 3 miles need to be careful. Keep turnover & cadence high (target 175). Careful HR doesn’t drift too early; expect to be around 150 bpm. If hot, be very careful – don’t blow up early!
  • Miles 3 – 10: steady, lock into pace … watch HR drift but don’t react. Up to 150-155 bpm ok. Any higher, ease up. Play mind games. Look down road and find a runner to pass. (There will likely be many to choose from – lots will have passed me on bike.)
  • Miles 10 – Finish: You can have a coke now. Enjoy the rocket fuel. HR will get up 160 or higher. Don’t fear it. This is a 5K. Keep just a little in the tank for a kick at the finish. Leave everything on the course.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I am not sure you will need to increase watts in that last section of the bike. If you stay steady for that last bit you will be making a move on your competitors without risking your run. Great plan.

Team EN is going to be crushing this course.

• Options

Looks great! Do you plan to add caffeine on the run? The Coke won't have much in it ... but it tastes so good.

Will your cheering squad be with you?

• Options

Looks good @Ross Randolph ! ... couple comments:

• Swim start is waves ... you may want to consider 25-29 min. group, rather than 30-34 min.
    • Socks on the bike can inhibit desire to pee while riding ... if that's what you're planning
    • Assume you will have watch on wrist ... when will you activate?
    • LOVE the mind games on the Run!!!
    • Have a good feeling that you're going to crush this!

Looking forward to meeting you!

• Options

Solid race plan! And from seeing your training posts, you'll have a great race! With your swim fitness, I agree with Rory on starting with the 25-29 min swim group. Then I won't have to worry about you swimming over me as I'll be in the 30-34 group. 😂

Looking forward to meeting and racing with you.

• Options

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond & thank especially for great advice which I incorporated into the plan yesterday:

• @Robert Sabo - great advice which I followed; cooler temps & a light rain allowed me to keep on target watts for the duration of the bike without risk of HR increase or decoupling. I did notice that I was passing quite a few in the last 10 miles maintaining the same watts I had been hitting throughout. And it did set me up for a great run. (Enjoyed tracking you the night & morning of my race while you competed in Cairns - congratulations on the KQ!)
    • @Sheila Leard - I traveled solo to this race but could 'hear' the cheering from Benicia! And I failed to mention that the last of my 3 Hammer gels that I use for my run (every 4 miles or about every 30 minutes) is a caffeinated one - in addition to the Coke at Mile 10.
    • @Rory Gumina - great to meet & race with you. Haven't worked out the whole pee-on-the-bike thing and socks wouldn't be an inhibitor. I wore socks yesterday but should've followed your advice because they got all wet anyway!
    • @Derrek Sanks - appreciate the comment; I will use the strategy for my next 70.3 that they don't cancel the swim!
  • Options

Wow @Ross Randolph that's two 70.3's in one year that they cancelled the swim on you. Amazing run. You are in a fast group. Are you going back to Santa Rosa?