Home Coaching Forum 🧢

Josh Henderson Official Coach Thread

@"josh henderson"

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman Lake Placid 7/28/2019

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on May 31, 2019

• On 5/27/2019 Load the    EN*Full Bike Focused  to end on 7/28/2019
  • On 7/29/2019 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/25/2019
  • On 8/26/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 9/22/2019
  • On 9/23/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/20/2019
  • On 10/21/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/17/2019

Your Notes

Westchester Olympic Tri, Sept 2018 - 3:05

Chicago Marathon, Oct 2018 - 3:51

Still battling right knee tightness from Acl surgery of March 2017.Currently running mostly trail runs about 3x per week around 15 miles per week. Bicycling on Wahoo snap 3x per week around 30minutes - 1hr per session. Weight train 2x per week.

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• @Josh Henderson

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!). 

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness: 
    • Bike Fitness:
    • Run Fitness:
    • Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support? 
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out. 

You have several options: 

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Hi Patrick,

Question about the training calendar...I see you have race day as July 28th. Thats the Lake Placid Ironman, I'm doing the Half Ironman on September 8...so has the training calendar been geared for someone running an Ironman?

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory, 2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness: 2, but slow
    • Bike Fitness: 2, but worried about hills
    • Run Fitness: 3
    • Weight / Body Composition: 1.5, could loose the gut. Feel like the amount of bike time doesnt really help that.

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far? By far the amount of time I can handle on the bike. Coming into training 30 miles was my farthest. So far 60 miles is my longest to date.
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support? Concerned about hills on the bike course. I also need to get my speed up in the pool.
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend? Yes i would as training is flexible for a variety of schedules.

Thanks,

Josh

• @Josh Henderson Thanks for reaching out! You are right, you were pointed to the FULL....that's what I had as your race ^above^ and what I was talking about in my video. The good news is, it's WAY EASIER to go from a FULL to a HALF plan than vice versa! 🤣

I have adjusted the plan to the HALF as of 07/11/2019, and pointed it to 9/8. So from a training perspective you are all set.

I wanted to address your concerns about hills. Hills require practice in training (picking a hilly route / not hiding from hills) and they also require good gearing. What do you have on your bike for the front (50/34? 53/39?). Get me your route options and gearing info and we can go from there.

~ Coach P

ps you can physically count the teeth on the front big/small rings or if you clean the inside of the rings (frame side) you should see a number stamped in there... on the back you need to count smallest and biggest ring. 👍

• Hey Patrick,

Thanks for the updated plan...now I feel like I can actually get through the workouts your giving me!

According to my chain ring I have a 50/34...hope thats doable.

Thanks,

Josh

• That’s totally doable. That’s the Way to go!

• @Josh Henderson

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella. 

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal. 
    • Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space. 
    • We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.
    • Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point. 
    • You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track. 
    • You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change. 
    • If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over. 

Key components of your final push should include: 

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.
    • A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!
    • Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.
    • Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary. 
    • 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know! 

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season. 

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations for moving forward with your training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

• @Josh Henderson please take a minute to read through that three-month stuff above and get me some answers when you have time. Hope things are going well.