Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Clark's 2019 Laurel Ultra 50K Race Plan

2019 Laurel Highlands 50K Race Execution Plan

I like writing REPs. I almost didn't write one for this race. I like them because they force you to stop and think before you go and do. But, I've run this trail so many times, I thought a written plan would feel like overkill.  

I've run this race in 2014, '16 and '17. I didn't run it last year, instead opting for the 70 mile version. That is my longest race to date and in preparation I ran more miles with more elevation gain than ever before. As race day approached, in some small way, I was feeling conflicted. Because of the mileage and elevation, my training log was screaming "50K PR - massive potential!" But I wasn't doing the 50K. I had to execute over 70 miles, so there would be no PR over the first 31. Would I get another shot at 50K, with similar preparation? I didn't know, but it didn't matter, because it wasn't the purpose of the day.

This year I'm preparing for the Leadville 100, so I've run even more miles with even more elevation gain. Once again the training log is screaming about massive potential. And once again, that's not the purpose of the day. I've been thinking about Leadville Run Camp (two weeks after the 50K). If I was going to write a REP, it should be for camp, which is much more important to my A race this year. And then I had a well timed conversation with Tim Cronk, who reminded me that my #1 goal for the 50K would be "do no harm".

It turns out this execution plan isn't overkill at all.

So here I am, with a bare bones plan, that starts off with Do No Harm! and ends with have fun. As always, thanks in advance for reading and I welcome your feedback.

Race Day Objectives (In Priority Order):

• Do No Harm!
  • Set yourself up for a successful Leadville Run Camp
  • Have fun

Execution Plan:

• Take it easy out of the gate through mile 8. This is where the heavy elevation gain happens.  
  • Once I'm on top of the ridge, pick up the pace and set the cruise control. 
  • Pause the the cruise control for the hill in mile 19, don't be stupid.
  • Eat and drink per the plan and the weather.
  • Win the aid stations - for this day, moving time and elapsed time should be the same.
  • Listen to your body and remember that today is not the objective, it's only a step in the journey.
  • If everything feels good, don't slow down - I'd like to see the same split for mile 31 as I did for mile 20.

Logistics / Checklist / Odds and Ends

• Up at 5:30 to eat. Skip the coffee.
  • Out of the house at 6:30.
  • Check in at 7:00 and warm up.
  • Race starts at 7:30.
  • At start, camelbak with Skratch
  • In camelbak pockets - gels (6x)
  • At aid 1 switch to Patagonia ultra pack with water
  • In pockets - gels (8x), base salt tube
  • If raining, cary small chunk of glide.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Clark Mitchell huge kudo's to you putting out a plan in writing, regardless of the intended goal its still the best bang for the buck for learning , I think when this becomes a bit more "routine" we tend to drop this step, racing is when I tend to incur "injury setbacks" so love the do no harm approach, we need to get through Leadville Camp in the same do no harm manor, win those aid stations ! The only thing I saw "wrong" was skipping the coffee? I am pretty sure that is against the law. :-) Good Skill !

• Options

@tim cronk Thank you for this feedback and again for the previous conversation. Totally agree on the do no harm strategy for camp. I'm in the middle of a written plan for camp now. I expect to post that sometime next week. So many things I want/need to learn while we're in Leadville.

• Options

@Clark Mitchell awesome a camp plan... I'm writing down questions for the camp, I'm sure we will cover most of them, but I wanna make sure I dont forget my thoughts. Go get em this weekend!