Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

"Icy Hot", "Ben Gay" or something similar

Has anyone used these during an ultra marathon or Ironman?

Thoughts?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Crickets

Must be a dumb question OR nobody in EN has every tried it and everyone is thinking, "this guys Patrick Large is an idiot"

• Options

Ha! I missed this earlier. And there are no dumb questions inside the safe virtual walls of EN...

I think it might have been @Carol DeFazio who recommended it in one of her race plans, but at my last Ironman I carried biofreeze packets with me (in my bento on the bike) and in my race belt on the the run in case my calves or quads decided to cramp up on me. I never actually turned to them, but it was nice to have the option.

• Options

I have also used Biofreeze. I went through a rough period with my back. I applied it before one particular long ride in a large area of my lower back. Felt pretty good at first. Once I started to sweat I was absolutely on fire! Made for an interesting couple of hours before things calmed down. I believe it has the potential to help. Mentally if nothing else. For sure would try it training first.

• Options

@Patrick Large no I have not used either. But during VT100 last year I had major shin issues and tried Voltarin (a prescription topical ibuprofen of sorts that Heather had left over from rotator cuff surgery) and an over the shelf Lidocaine topical ,neither of them offered any relief whatsoever.