Homeβ€Ί Races & Places πŸβ›Ί
Options

Sid's Victoria 70.3 race report

I would highly recommend this race. Beautiful trip, good venue, highly competitive field. The course is challenging but fair. Bike course is hilly with a lot of turns, but really is a pretty good course. Awesome scenery! The run is on a hiking path around Elk Lake. Just an awesome run. Again challenging, but one of the best run courses you can hope for. Also a bit hilly. This was my second time racing here and I will likely go back.

I wont go into much of the pre race other than to say travel involved a border crossing and a ferry ride. We got to Victoria on Friday Morning. Stayed in Cordova Bay near the race Venue. I would for sure do this rather than staying in Victoria because of travel and congestion.

Overall: 5:18:29 16thAG Swim: 34:40 29thAG Bike 2:55:28 26thAG Run:1:42:57 16thAG

Changes I made compared to past HIMs:

Aero helmet: Giro Aerohead MIPS Disc cover: Wheel Builders Aero Jacket Nutrition: Infinit Go Far on bike. Silicone Tubes. Nike Vaporfly shoes

Sunday. Race Morning: Kept the breakfast almost the same as every other day. Oatmeal, Blue berries, Yogurt. I added 1/2 bagel with peanut Butter and of course coffee. I sipped electrolyte throughout the rest of the morning and had 1 gel before the swim.

Swim: 1 lap lake swim. pretty warm. Wore my full wetsuit. Rolling start, lined up in 30 to 35 minute group. Plenty of room. Uneventful. Time was 34:40. Division rank 29/89.

T1: pretty long run. No strippers. 2:46.

Bike: This course is up and down all day with a bunch of turns, so it has an effect but I still liked the course. Total elevation is just short of 3000 feet. I wanted to just "ride my bike" the way I know how and use my power meter to manage spikes on the climbs and check in on total work throughout the ride. I had one screen with average IF to watch as I went. My target was .83. It drifted throughout the ride but stayed in the right range. My VI ended up at 1.05 which is slightly high, but it would have been difficult to come in under that because of the nature of the course. I thinked I spiked too high on a couple of the climbs, but they were short and steep. I drank 2 bottles of infinit Go Far (280 calories each) 2 bottles of Base Hydro (on course, maybe 160 each? ), 1 sleeve of Cliff blocks, and one Gel. Plus a little water. Peed many times.! The bike felt good. Ended up going 2:54:57. 195 TSS. .82 IF. Div rank:26. http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/GCHT3ZYFCHWIEDTHPCKHXS7YDQ

T2: again a pretty long run. 2:38

Run: Felt good immediately after getting off the bike. Settled in early to a pace that felt comfortable. Passed a bunch of people early. Just sort of built into this run the entire time until after mile 10 feeling like I was pushing really hard. I have never felt this strong on a run in a 70.3. I should mention that I had a new pair of Vaporflys that I wasn't sure I should wear because of the off road nature of the run. I wore them, and I'm glad I did. This was a PR 70.3 run by a ways. Shoes? I'm not sure. I also felt really good getting off the bike. I will wear them for my next race for sure. Drank Base Hydro at every aid station, ate one gel, and a little Coke after mile 10. Run was 1:42:xx. IF of .92. Division rank of 16 which is here I ended up overall placing. http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/FUE7GK2QJFJ3SGXWX6YLRNV76M

In Summary, I wish I could bike faster but I have proven that if I do, that time just comes out of the run. This was a great run for me. That just makes the entire day feel better. i felt like I was passing people all day long. I could probably squeeze 5 to 10 minutes out of the bike, but I know what that costs me on the run. I race another 70.3 exactly 4 weeks after this one. (CDA) Let this act as my race plan because I will try to do it much the same. The run in CDA could be faster because of the course, so we shall see. This was a life time PR for 70.3 by about 1 minute. I really don't think it is too useful to compare one day or one course to another...but so be it. After the CDA race I head for IMAZ. An entirely different beast. I hope you can copy and paste the links above to your browser and take a look. I welcome comments.

Tagged:

Comments