Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

IMLP + IMMT?

edited June 25, 2019 4:03PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

I may have an opportunity for a free entry to IMLP ( YAY!) Is this crazy?

I'm on track for IMMT, but this doesn;t freak me out too much... ( i dont think it does? lol)

Is this crazy to do one month before IMMT? if I use it as a training day, and not kill myself?

( sorry! couldn't find my 'official coach thread" )

THANKS!!!!

Comments

• Options
    edited June 25, 2019 5:14PM

first off, it's not a "month," it's three weeks.

is it "doable?" Depends on what your personal definition of success looks like?

I think if you throttle back your run in LP and set the expectation that in MT you will have a very slow run that will likely involve a fair amount of walking, it's totally "doable."

If you are trying to be "competitive," with what that word means to you personally, you will likely only have one to be competitive at and that would likely be LP unless you were really able to throttle back the LP run and walk the last 8 miles making that a big catered training day and saving your legs for MT.

hopefully that makes sense.

would they allow you to defer LP to 2020?

Edit - just realized this was in the coaching forum, didn't mean to jump in if that was the case, but let's see what @Coach Patrick says! I am curious as to the answer, but I think it comes down to your definition of success in these events. Given what we both know about YOU, we know you are mentally tough enough to do it. I mean we've done ALIR & Vineyard races within a few weeks 😂😂🤣 (Painful Sailing reference Patrick)

• Options

Month, three weeks, lol. I'm bad at math ;)

I guess if Patrick is on board, I'd dial back IMLP, and make it a legit training day...not try to break any landspeed records! haha!

No, no oppportunity to defer. Its a 'one time' team 'free' offer ;) ( I like 'free' !!!)

Thanks for the response!

• Options

Issuing a public apology for my lack of "EN Dashboard" savvy, I couldn't find 'my thread' :(

Sorry Coach Patrick and EN team!

• Options

@Liz Hickox Thanks for reaching out..and for chiming in @scott dinhofer !! 👍

So we talked about LP being a big training weekend....if you race, that means you'll only do one big bike ride that weekend. I feel like you have a lot of catching up to do re the volume (I know I am missing some bike miles due to your Garmin, but still) And that the race will stop you from doing the good work that weekend to really up your game pre IMMT.

Not racing LP means you can do long rides the next Three weekends (and more in LP)...if you do opt into that race, then you'll automatically start dialing things back just when you started to build them up. Make sense?

Now if you tell me that you only want to rack up IM finished for a legacy play, that's something entirely different.

If you tell me too bad coach, make it happen, I can work my magic, but there will be a compromise WRT (with regards to) IMMT.

~ Coach P

• Options

Oh! I truly haven't missed many miles!!! I may have cut one or two short due to work, etc...but I tend to make them up the next day...again, I just dont add them to FS.

My bad, I know :( Will get back on that. I became comfortable not being attached to 'data' after a while

Yeah, I see your point...I don't even know what a "legacy play" is!

My performance would be no doubt "sub par" at both..Thanks for the reply!!

• Options

I declined, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

OK, at the end of the day I think that’s the smart decision here. Yes, please put all data into Final Surge as much as you are able. Our use that information to make my decisions for you in the most objective manner possible. Even if you don’t look at the data yourself on your watch, make sure that it gets ported over so I can see it! Thank you.

• Options

HI there,

Broke down and fixed Garmin problem...As much I was really starting to enjoy the freedom of NOT wearing a watch, I realize now you thought I was slacking, lol.

It should be updated, but planningto redo FTP test.

Did it a few weeks ago, but didn't realize my wheel was SO WHACKED out of true that it barely functioned, much less sit in a trainer evenly. AMAZING once I had it fixed! Like a BRAND new bike! :)

last Ques, ok to substitur\te one long run day for long climb? Heading to Franconia Notch to train and camp out one weekend, the dog would really like that :)

Signing up for Oceanside tomorrow! YAY!

• Options

Sweet and yay for faster biking!!!! 🚀

Yes, 100% OK to put in an extra day in place of that run. Just keep the run frequency up. In other words, I would run before or after the bike ride for just one or 2 miles so that you get “a“ run in but still get the benefit of the time on the bike. And of course nice long hikes are also really beneficial.

• Options

On a related note, I've had to swap out weekend days on occasion? Sunday off instead of Monday, Monday make up for Sunday...How detrimental is that?

What are your thoughts for IMLP weekend? I should get there Thursday night...obv. sunday won't be available to train, but Monday morning-afternoon is!

• Options

No worries at moving the random day around, as long as you’re following the general theme you will be fine. I’m very pleased with your progress so far this year.

In terms of race weekend, I would skip your long run during that week and move your Saturday to Friday and Sunday ride to Saturday. Sunday is spectating, and then Monday you can do the long run that you missed.

An alternative versions to do what I do, which to do your long run once everyone leaves on the bike. You have about five hours to get a run in the shower in just a thought.