Home Racing Forum 🏎

Scott Liston IM 70.3 Steelhead Race Report

5:36, 21st M55-59, 584 Overall

Summary: I was hoping to continue to see progress in my age group ranking after finishing 10th in this race last year. I finished 21st. While I’m disappointed, I know that I was probably seeded 17th in this race based on the others than were signed up. I had an uncharacteristic bumble in T1 so without that, I would have been 19th. Then I usually apply consistent watts throughout the bike but also took it easy in the first 3 to 6 miles. That cost me two spots. It was hot again like last year and my run was very similar. My trend vs. 2017 is still good though – I ran stronger two years in a row though the bike results are very similar for three years, so my fitness in the run the last two years shows progress on the bike.

As I reflect on my mindset last year, this race and IM 70.3 Ohio were my only A races so I really came in with a mind set to give it everything I have. Whether I realized it yesterday or not, I think it the back of my mind I did not give it everything knowing I have 12 weeks to prepare for IM Chattanooga ahead of me. So, in retrospect, my effort as the day unfolded really did not match my goals; and I think that is a good thing! The day after I now feel better about the day, the performance, and my fitness to keep training. On to the twelve weeks of training for Ironman Chattanooga.

Quick Background: Training has been good. Sleep has been good. Nutrition has been good. Race weight of 157 lbs./71.4 kg. on 5’8”.

Pretty sure I was the only Endurance Nation athlete racing this year after the fun we had as a key race last year.

There are a few comments below for those that read my race plan (or those who didn’t 😊) in italics.

The weather looks reasonable – low of 65, high of 76, 6MPH winds, partly cloudy, probably typical midwestern humidity. I’ll bring the rain stuff just in case.

It was hotter – 83, 64 dewpoint, bright sunshine on the run!

I have stalked the athletes in my age group and I am seeded 14th based on https://www.obstri.com/ and the USAT rankings. There are five All Americans signed up in my age group! They are all faster than me. 7th is realistic so I expect to be 14th to 7th for the day depending on the day the field has. I will control what I can do and if per chance my wife can find me and shout out my position on the run and it motivates me, then that would be cool!

See above

Swim:

I’ll get in line in the middle to back of the 30-35 minute group. Assuming cool water temps, wetsuit legal, the plan is to wear the full wetsuit and I expect to come out of the water in 35 mins. + the run up the beach to transition. This is consistent with race rehearsals.

I was in the right spot at the start. I thought I would do 35 but did 37 for 2,330 yards perhaps it was long-marked because I thought my sighting was pretty good.

T1: Gotta practice getting the wetsuit sleeves off my hands and watch. This new wetsuit is very narrow at the wrists. It might be a challenge to get off around the timing chip on the ankle too.

I took the Garmin off and held it in my teeth ! while I pulled my wet suit sleeves off. I did use spray on my hands/wrists and fee/ankles and also put body glide on the suit. I did not have any issues. I left clip on sunglasses at my transition area and had to go back to get them and that cost me 2 minutes ☹.

Bike target: 190W NP, VI < 1.04, 2:34 (-7 minutes vs. year ago) – time is an estimate, the course has changed vs. 2018; new bike and better aero position may result in a quicker time.

Bike Actual: 188 NP, 1.07 VI. 2:42:32 I went out too slowly and then I pushed hard the final third of the bike to make up for it. I also had to do quite a bit of passing. I likely need more time on the new bike but the new bike and new position did not seem to make a difference. Perhaps it matters more at higher speeds 😊.

Heart rate was 135. The last two years’ bike results were similar with a 138 average heart rate so I see some fitness improvements there.

Nutrition was good – 30 oz. Ventum reservoir + 2/3 of a bottle of GE, a Clif bar cut into six pieces.

T2: While I did not stop to pee on the bike course I also did not pee on the bike, so hit the porto on the way out.

Run:      Target: 1:58 (with no heat adjustment)

Actual: 2:06 – it was hot!

Here was the revised plan and the actuals on the Stryd Power Meter:

·       First three miles: 220W (Actual: 224W, HR 145)

·       Middle seven miles: 230W (Actual: 219W, HR 151)

·       Last three miles: do what I can (Actual: 203W HR 151)

I may have been able to hit the plan numbers on a cooler and cloudier day but see the cumulative impact of the heat in these numbers. First ten miles at 220 means I slowed down 8% for the final 3.

Heart rate will be in the mid-150s depending on the weather. Monitor only. Execute based on Watts.

Yep, Heart rate rose from 142 to 150-155 over the course of the run with an average of 150.

Nutrition: plan worked out well, alternate between GE and water, with four gels at 0, 4, 8 and 12.

Lessons learned:

·       Put the clip-ons for the glasses on the helmet or somewhere else where I won’t forget them.

·       Go ahead and get into my average watts target right away on the bike

·       Think about my mindset before the race – what am I trying to achieve, really? Act accordingly.

A Question for the Team: So, if I am 71 kg. and I consistently put 184-188 NP into the pedals, shouldn’t that result in bike times faster than 2:42? I got a retul bike fit this spring and a new Ventum One. Neither seemed to matter. I don’t think I am up out of the aero position that much but all I can think of is to build shoulder and core strength to stay in the aero position more. Coefficent of Drag Matters!

Tagged:

Comments

• HIM is a tricky beast - pacing and nutrition have more bandwidth for experimentation than an IM. A few observations:

• It would help answer your question if I knew: your FTP, and your TSS for the bike leg, instead of guessing on them. For a 2:42 bike split, an IF of 0.8-0.82 allows you the best balance of fast time and sufficient reserve to also have a good run. I'm guessing you were 0.8, so you may have an opportunity there, as you not, to go a little harder early on, and ride at a more even VI on this flat course.

• On a hot day, trying to hit a power target on the run is fraught with risk, especially on a flat course (?unshaded?) HR is a better metric to follow in such a situation, IMO.

• I think the new bike did give you an advantage. I noticed when upgrading that I didn't go any faster, but I did achieve the same speeds at a lower HR. Given the natural loss of power with aging, I think the lower HR you saw is at least in part due to the more efficient bike you have. Specifically, the Ventum is HEAVY, and thus has more momentum - easier to hold the same speed on the flats. This pays a dividend on the run.

• It would be interesting to see the run splits/mile alongside the mile-by-mile power and HR...

• Great insights, thank you @Al Truscott !

So my FTP is 229. Here is the embarrassing part - first six miles IF: .71, last six miles IF: .86, Total IF: .82.

Upon reflection, I really was getting used to this new bike in the race. That combined with lots of admin and some rough roads, it was the tale of two intensities. I am far enough away from it that I am moving on but not without this lesson: as I move forward I will hit the intensity sooner and hold it. Don't try to 'make it up.' Even. steady.

On the hot day run pacing, I know you saw the pace on Strava -"like clockwork." Thanks. I did revert to heart rate given the heat. The Stryd Power Meter is one tool, not the only tool. A good reminder.d I was kinda focused on it since it was my first tri run leg with it.

I have analyzed a few more rides on the Ventum One vs. my Cervelo P2. It was VERY HELPFUL for you to mention that the Ventum One is heavy. I remember folks on the Forum talking about it's ability and willingness to power along the flats. I need to keep that in mind as I learn how to take advantage of what this particular bike can do. I do think that I will see my efficiency improve. Rides has been 1.39 EF vs. 1.34 so that's good.

Thanks, again!

Scott

• I will put my race feedback here so that the team can find that as well. I agree that your transition error was costly. I saw that by keeping my sunglasses on my bike and slide one arm under a rubber band so that I can just easily pull them out.

Those first 6 miles definitely hurt you from a time perspective, but I wouldn’t count them as a bad thing given how hot the day got. Honestly, I think the effort at the end of your ride was likely more costly. In the future when it’s going to be a hot day, we want to frontload the harder effort on the bike and have the end of the bike be more conservative so we can start to get the heart rate down and reduce the cost of work in those temperatures.

I will take what you did on the run, that is just fine. As our mention there’s very little you can do when I gets that hot. The only change I would make for the run is that we want to frontload those calories. Do you want those three gels in before the halfway point. Miles two four and six sounds good to me. There’s no way you can really consume and benefit from gels after the halfway point and a half Iron Man. At that point it’s most likely just liquid calories.

• Thanks, Coach P. Great feedback!