Homeโ€บ Community Forum ๐Ÿ 
Options

What's your favorite HRM?

It looks like my HRM strap is dying again. I have a Fenix5 with the HRM that give you all of the run dynamics. I have replaced the strap once, but you have to buy the whole unit (Strap & meter). Trying to decide if I should stay the same route of if there is something better. I'm not ready to add Stryd yet as I already have more data than I can analyze. My watch can read it directly from my wrist, but I'm not sure how accurate it is. It seems to work better when the wrist band is tight, but I like my watch a little loose.

What is everyone's favorite HRM and why?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I like my Wahoo TICKR HRM because it is very comfortable to wear and the LED status lights confirm that it is working / trying to connect. I don't use it for anything apart form the HR data, so don't know if it will suit all of your requirements.

• Options

I have a few HR monitors so will pass on my thoughts on them:

• Wahoo Tickr - comfortable, bluetooth/ant+, basic HRM metrics, not too costly, works well for Zwifting, etc. but you need the Tickr X model if you want running dynamics (which as I recall don't stream to Garmin watches)
    • Garmin Tri-HRM - fairly comfortable, ant+, HRM & running dynamics, $$, and yes you tend to need to replace every couple years (my go to running HRM)
    • Scosche Rhythm24 - arm based optical HRM, bluetooth/ant, comfortable, relatively accurate (needs to be tight to get good numbers when working out), easy to slide on for HRV mode in the AM if you measure that, $$

Overall one of the big questions you should probably ask yourself is what is the value of the running dynamics. If your not doing much if anything, then something like the base Tickr is fine. You can always get the garmin RD pod if you decide want the run dynamics data but like a plain HRM.

I personally find the run dynamics interesting, but tend look at it more as I feel twinges, etc. to see if my ground contact time gets out of whack or to see how my form held up at the end of intense sessions /comparing similarly hard session (long run, hard tempos, etc.).

I use the Garmin, mainly because I don't really notice it, don't want to have to worry about carrying another running pod (yes I have a stryd too), and I am a numbers person so I like having that other data for those times I want to dig into how my form is holding up.

• Options

Garmin Fenix 5X Plus wrist hrm is dead on and eliminates the need for the strap.....one less item... #winning....

• Options

@Shaughn Simmons I took a heart stress test this week and was comparing it to the monitor they had me hooked up to and it was pretty accurate. The only drawback, is how are you using that with TrainerRoad or Zwift? Does it broadcast HR? Or are you recording everything on your Garmin in place of the native program? Also the Garmin HRM has all of the running metrics, I don't use them, but interesting to look at. Also, during IM I use by bike computer and have my Fenix5 for backup on the bike but primarily for the run.

• Options

Swift uses the signal from your HRM strap which is ANT+..... Much like it is receiving a signal from your power meter via ANT+ the same signal is being picked up from the HRM strapโ€ฆ Are you using power with trainee road and Zwift? If this power meter is already in place and being picked up then adding your HRM strap will be no issue...... Let me know if this is confusing or if you need more help getting this set up. On my current screen I can see power and heart rate in Zwift.

• Options

@Shaughn Simmons That's where I am confused about what you are saying.

"Zwift uses the signal from your HRM strap which is ANT+." I assume you are speaking about the HRM chest strap I am currently using. Yes, that works great for abut 12-18 months, then the chest straps fail. I was wondering if someone had an alternative they liked.

It seems like there is no clear GREAT one, so I guess I will just replace it again.

• Options

@Gary Lewis - a little late to the party. I got the tickerx and got run dynamics out of it. Interesting as i used it on a TM one day when i forgot my footpod and apparently the RD on it generates a pace.

I also have the Fenix 5plus. I have found the optical HR to be dead on one day and then to be completely off another. I have read in many places and been told by people much smarter than me not to rely on the HR data coming from that. it is good to use if you forget your HR strap and at least see how much more work you are doing.. or when your HRM strap battery does die, but I always use a strap, on the bike, on Zwift and on the run

• Options

I have used the Tickr for a long time and found it to be fine. My wife just bought me a Scoche Rhythm strap for my birthday and it seems to have a more reliable rate and no chest chafe. I use a stryd for running dynamics etc and still use the old 920XT for GPS etc. unfortunately, none of the HR solutions make me faster...