Homeโ€บ Racing Forum ๐ŸŽ
Options

Sid Wavrin 70.3 CDA Report

This my second of two HIMs in a month. I wanted to put a solid effort into both and see what the result would be. After Victoria I recovered for the first part of the week with Monday off, Tuesday a swim, and then eased back into training with a full schedule by the weekend. Certainly felt the fatigue from racing hard, but got the rides and runs done and started to get the body functioning again. The second and third weeks I pretty much followed the 1/2 plan and just didn't taper quite as much as what the plan prescribes because of the rest I had tapering for the first race and then recovering. My TP numbers were a bit off as a result of he previous race, but I felt my fitness was fine and that I was ready to push again.

Race morning I felt good. Nutrition plan was kept the same as Victoria as that went well. I started with three bottles of Infinit Go Far with the intent to drink one before the climbing started, skip the first aid station with the exception of pitching the empty bottle. Swim was beautiful as usual and uneventful. Swam around 35 minutes. 18th in AG. Skipped the strippers and cruised through transition. When I got on the bike, my hips were really tight and I felt like I had to work harder than usual to hit my power numbers. When I calibrated my 520 in the morning I noticed the offset number was really high compared to normal. I calibrated about three times with same result. I have not had this before. I never could hit my power numbers but my HR and perceived exertion suggested I was doing what I should be. I honestly think the calibration was off. I built in to the ride and felt okay but really had to work the ride to get it done. This bike course has quite a bit of sustained climbing. Nothing really steep just highway grade long climbs. When we turned around there was a pretty good head wind. Bike was 2:54 which took me to 21st in AG. Total of 4 bottles 1 GU and 1 sleeve off blocks.

Started the run with a plan to push pretty hard but hold back in early miles so as not to blow up. Again the run was a bit of struggle but I was able to hold the pacing and keep the HR in the range that I know will work. I had to go really deep on this run by the end, but I knew I had a good run going and that I was moving up. I ended with the second fastest run in AG and moved up to seventh overall in AG. Sherman Avenue has one of the best finish chutes in Ironman and I was happy to run down it again.

This is the highest placing I've had in an Ironman event. Hopefully I can carry this to the full distance!? Entirely different beast!

I have raced in CDA several times in both the full and half distance. Its a great place to race. I would highly recommend it to anyone considering it as a venue.

Has anyone else ever thought that the power meter calibration was wrong?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

First off, two outstanding HIM performances within a month speaks volumes about your consistent training, and the value of simple hard work and perseverance.

And, getting the second fastest run split is a real confidence booster - you've got the hardest part of the race nailed, and now can continue to seek improvement on the bike. I bet there's at least 10 minutes you can find there over the next year.

Bask in that warm glow a while longer, then go have fun in the mountains this summer!

• Options

Congratulations @Sid Wavrin impressive run coming off a HIM within the month. Sherman avenue is a fun finish line. Well done!

• Options

Great race Sid you were flying on the run my friend, went just as you planned. Congrats on the well executed race.

• Options

congratulations on a great race. Keep up this strong work and you will be on the podium soon. I hope to see you at a race soon.

• Options

Congratulations on a strong race and 7th AG! Crushing two 70.3s in one month is a testament of hard and consistent work over the past several months! Well done!

• Options

nice racing with you .