Home General Training Discussions
Options

Power Meter Purchase

Pioneer single sided power meter. Any experience? Looking at that vs the Favero Assioma Uno pedals. Will be paired with an edge 520 mounted out on the aero bottle. Likely the Profile Design FC35 but possibly the XLab Torpedo Versa 200. Thanks!#

Comments

• Options

I haven't used the Pioneer power meter, but I own and highly recommend the Favero Assioma Duo (I assume the Uno pedals perform equally well). They were very easy to install, the rechargeable batteries last for several long rides before recharging is required (and when low battery indication is given, there is at least one more long ride of battery capacity left), due to the sealed rechargeable batteries, I have never had a problem with signal dropout ( a problem that I have had with two separate pairs of Vector 3 pedals).

I have also have a Stages powermeter and Powertap C1 - both of which proved unreliable for me (battery issues / signal drop). I have an Edge 520 as well and was able to pair all of the powermeters I mention above (including on an aero bottle mount), but have only had consistent and reliable readings from the Favero pedals.

• Options

i have a few Stages single sided crank arms. work well. i get them on sale and clearance.

• Options

@Brian Terwilliger I have a used 170mm GXP SRM (110BCD) in great shape that I'd ship to you for about the same price as either of those if that interests you... Hasn't been used since I had it serviced (battery replaced) about a year ago. I bought P1 Pedals because they were the only thing that would work on my Fat Bike, and on my new Ventum build, I went with a Quarq because I went with much shorter crank arms. My Poor SRM is sadly just sitting in a box in my drawer and would love a new home.

It literally pains me to read anything on ST because things over there always seem to devolve pretty quickly with all of the negativity that lives on there, but just this morning there was a debate about 1-sided vs 2 sided Powermeters... To summarize, some people use 1-sided PM's quite effectively and they certainly are a cost effective alternative. I have personally several buddies that use the 1-sided Stages on a couple different bikes and they think it's "close enough"... The "hater" camp says there's too much variability in L/R balance for some people such that if you are taking only 1 side power (even if the actual measurement at that one leg is accurate and repeatable) and multiplying it by 2 to estimate your total power that you could have as much as a 10% swing from day to day relegating the numbers to be either useless or misleading . I don't have a personal opinion on which side of the debate has the better case, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

If you value your sanity, you'll spend 10x as much time on our healthy environment EN Forums vs their muck show, but every once in a while (particularly for gear stuff) there is some value to be had looking over there to research specific things.

• Options

I have a Stages on my Felt, it works well, but the signal range is lacking. 520 doesn't ick it up out in the bars. Have to put it on the stem, which is a pain.

• Options

@JoJo Thirasilpa

Thanks. I’m leaning heavily toward the Uno over the Pioneer. I don’t think I’m good enough, or smart enough to benefit from the Duo. Especially since I’m not a data nerd and would probably either wholly ignore all the extras, or try to delve into it and just confuse myself.

• Options

@John Withrow

Thanks John. Adding a Tactical Premier to my collection, but I think the cranks are 172.5

I’ve never spent a lot of time on ST, but have read some of the gear reviews and the such from time to time. 

And for my purposes, and really, most peoples purposes, I think single sided is just fine. Its not like this is our job or paying our bills where even fractional difference can make a huge difference.

• Options

@Brian Terwilliger - how tall are you? bike size? is this for a tri bike or road bike?

the conventional wisdom is to size your cranks shorter than normal on a tri bike and open up your hips. I ride 170s on my roadbike and 165s on my tri bike. In today's world I can probably go 155/160 and get more benefit on the tri bike

as for the 2side vs 1side, you are correct. I have 2 sets of PT pedals, one is 2 sided and one is 1 sided. I leave them on bikes in different locations so I always have them handy where I am training. I see no real difference in the power files..

• Options

I've got a Stages on one of my MTBs, and the signal is always lacking. When I use it during an Xterra off-road tri, it never seems to wake up for me to use during the race. Works fine before the race, but after my (long) swim and T1, it never wakes up again! Don't know why!

Had a quarq crank PM for many years, that I swapped between road and tri bikes. Then switched to dual-sided P1 pedals, because I wanted to use them on rental bikes when I travel to train. Haven't gone back to the other PMs (except that Stages is still on the one mtb) since.

• Options

PowerTap dual sided pedals best overall value in my opinion.......indestructible and accurate always.

• Options

I have the single sided Pioneer PM on my Ventum. I wanted to stay with the Ultegra look, and the Pioneer accomplished that. I also have the 520 and have no problem with either.

On my old bike I had a Quarq dual sided which worked great as well. My pedaling always came out to about 49%/51%, so I didn't see the need to spend the extra $$ on dual sided.

• Options

Unlike even five years ago, all the power meters still on the market now seem to have most of the bugs worked out. I have used PowerTap hubs, PT pedals (both dual and single-sided), and Stages single-side crank meter. All have seemed rock solid, consistent, and pretty much idiot proof when it comes to linking with my Fenix watch and head unit(s).

I will say that for me, with a weakened right leg, the single-sided meter is not a good choice for race day. Many people have significant (>1-2%) differences between the legs, and only my dual-sided pedals will reveal that on the road. I don't know if the chain ring based units, like SRM or Quarq will properly record L/R power differences.

• Options
    edited March 13, 2020 2:40AM

I realize this is an older thread, but I am looking to up my game this year, and am ready into plunge into power meters (I am currently an HR athlete). Looking for best recommendation for someone who is new to riding with power, is easy to install, measures right and left (as that seems logical if making the investment), talks to my Garmin 920, and costs under $1,000.

I have a Cannondale Slice, and KEO look clips.

Thank you,

Elizabeth :)

• Options
    edited March 13, 2020 11:15AM

I don’t have these, but if I were to get more meters, I would get Assioma. Pedal based and uses Keo cleats.

• Options

@Elizabeth Hornak

I ended up going with the Assioma pedals and couldn't be happier. 10 seconds to install, have never had a dropped signal, and have performed flawlessly.

• Options
    Same. I highly recommend for ease of installation, ease of use and ability
    to swap between road / tri-bikes.
  • Options

Switching from Stages to Assioma for all the reasons others stated. Stages were (and remain) less expensive, but I have really been annoyed with range and battery issues. Assioma have been great, and much easier to switch across bikes.

• Options

I have Vector 3 dual sided ... not a big fan of the battery changes but otherwise a solid power meter. Am shopping for new road bike and thinking of changing to crank-based power meter but will likely stay with pedal-based so I can have an emergency back-up. Instead of another set of Vector 3, am thinking of changing brands to PowerTap P1 or the Assioma. What made you decide the Assioma over other brands @Elizabeth Hornak ? This is a very helpful thread; thanks to all the WSM for the suggestions & recommendations from experience.

• Options

I don't think I'll ever move away from my PowerTap P1s now. I've had them for several years now after I was tired of bringing my bike everywhere with me which had the crank-based Quarq (which was always solid and never had issues). I use my P1s for my road, tri and sometimes gravel bike too.

My mtb has a Stages single-side crank arm pm, which has been spotty and falls asleep easy. Could never wake the dang thing up in t1 for my xterra tris.