Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Dinhofer 2019 IMLP Race Plan

For those of you who are new here, or lost track of me, this is my first IM since a pretty horrific bike crash in June of 2018 where I broke 2 vertebrae, 7 ribs & a scapula. I was able to get back on a bike trainer after a few weeks and cobbled together my first run weeks in late September. Once I had a consistent few weeks in the mid – high teens of Run mileage per week, I began to add one MPW until I hit low 30s in mid-December. Taking Xmas break off from SBR, I ran 2 back to back 41 mile weeks. My weight was at 149 lbs (best race weight ever was IMLP ’17 at 147) – I was poised to launch a great 7 month effort to try and KQ at IMLP this year having been in the top10 AG in 2016, and then going 22 minutes faster in 2017 when a whole bunch of very fast guys showed up and I actually went backwards in AG rankings!

A week into January I did my first Skimo race and likely tore/strained a hamstring that I’ve just not recovered from. My Run, spirit and weight have suffered since. My weight has bounced up and down from 149-156 and I am focused now with three weeks to go. I truly believe I could have raced at 140-142, but we likely won’t find out about that, this year. (best race weight ever was 147 in 2017, hoping to replicate that this year)

This may all seem defeatist, but I can assure you I am stubborn, OCD and in full training mode. I've been visiting with Ironman Doc Extraordinaire, Dr Stu who has been doing ART and other voodoo science to keep me going. Camps & commitments have also helped with the focus and I wrote this over the weekend in LP where I executed a solo race prep camp that I planned months ago for my final peak before taper. btw, that was the hardest 4 days I've ever done! Thank you @Coach Patrick for pushing me mentally and physically this weekend!

Thursday, swim 5000 in the lake, Friday & Saturday ride the full bike course with Short Bricks, Sunday run 16+ miles of the run course

The broad plan is this –

Swim well (1:08-1: – I’ve done this swim at 1:08 & 1:09)

Transition like a champ

Bike like a demon – I’ve had a great bike build using blue ridge camp, Al Camp & Camp Hoff as big volume punches along with Coach P’s Elite EN plan focus on giving me customized intervals based on the FRC concept to boost my fitness. This past weekend, I really dialed in HOW to ride the course.

Run the first loop like I have no injury, and I am going to have to Behler the shizz out of the 2nd loop per @Jeremy Behler 's IMLP 2018 run. Pray for a great roll down situation (I don’t believe in Fairy Tales), which likely means healing up, training up and putting myself through this in 2020 when I age up to 55.

Having wrote ^^that^^ I’ve been re-reading @jeremy Behler’s race plan and comments from last year where he was in a similar circumstance. I pasted in what @john Withrow told me in 2017, and THIS is really my plan: "The second turn-around at the end of River Road is your "go" point... Even though your are all-in on KQ, your real race starts there... Get there as smart and fast as possible, but your race for final position really starts here... This means the last time up the hill to the ski jump will suck. Don't walk at the top. Turn your brain off and just f-ing run! Townie hill will REALLY suck this 2nd time around... Catch the guy in front of you. Don't walk your HR back down here... HR be damned at this point... And after the turn at the top of Townie hill, continuing to go uphill all the way to the brewery will suck, suck, suck. Catch the guy in front of you. Do not listen to your legs at that point. Do not walk and do not slow down. If it doesn't hurt, you're doing it wrong. Your world view should get very small here... The last out-and back is hell, but the KQ slot is on the line... Skip these Aid Stations. Sprint the f'ing stupid oval that is between you and the finish line. They have great medical staff at IMLP, somebody else will clean you up after you fall across the finish line (ask me why I know)!"

Now for the details:

Mostly adapted from 2017’s race plan

Looking for comments, missing items, questions - this is where the team effort shines!

This is my 10th IM start, 3rd time at LP, but I have ridden the course forwards and backwards a number of times. Fully trained for it in ‘15 despite having to pull out on race day from herniating a disc 3 days earlier

Bike:

Ventum One w E-tap 11 spd

Zipp Super 9 Rear disc, 404 Front, all mounted with new 25mm Vittoria Corsa G2.0 TLR (?) (open to suggestions on tire choice, this is the best available per these tests)

Latex Tubes

rings 52/36? front 11/28 cassette. 

1 cage behind seat. 

Wahoo Elmnt Bolt

Stats:

Height 5’8

Weight (151 or less) please don’t snicker…race weight likely 145-148

FTP – ??? no idea, Coach P gave me a ride to number based on his secret VooDoo interpretation of my WKO4 chart, essentially the same number as 2 years ago. 190

Vdot – again, no idea as I have not been able to push the run

Wednesday

Run 30' early AM - Drive to LP

Shortish? 2000 yard swim?

Supermarket for items in house BUY HIGH CALORIE EARLY AM NAKED SHAKE, blueberries & bananas FOR SUNDAY

Thursday

Early AM team swim (time? ____) or is this Friday?

Registration – Lost My AWA in the injury year

INSPECT & CLEAN BIKE - Check flat tire kit, tubes, tools, etc (Bike has completely been gone over by LBS 1 week ago )

Athlete briefing 11am & 2pm

Team Dinner – time & Location?

Charge Wahoo Elmnt, Fenix watch

Charge SRAM batteries (Etap)

Configure both devices for no autopause

Configure multi-sport screens on Fenix 5

I usually ride the Keene Descent a few times with Jill "ski lifting" me up, but after this past weekend, seems unnecessary, I was at one with the descent.

Friday

7am Team swim – confirm time?

10:00 am 4 keys – Palace theater Main Street

11Am & 3PM Athlete Briefing

Pack bags

Race Morning bag

Sunscreen

Plastic bag with TP for porta potti

phone & earphones

Band aids for nipples

Aquaphor 

Timing Chip on Ankle

HR Monitor Strap

Garmin Watch

EN Castelli Tri top & bottoms

2 SRAM batteries

Morning Clothes Bag

Body Glide

Wetsuit

Goggles

Sweat pants/ EN Jacket/ winter run hat If needed/ for after race

For BIKE

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

Ventum 40 oz bottle pre mixed w Gatorade Endurance, won’t need to be refilled until AS 3

Throwaway Poland spring sport bottle with GE behind seat (should I skip this and save wait, thereby grabbing 1st bottle at AS2?

arm warmers – old socks with toes cut off to be placed over aerobars, put on after leaving admin miles in town

T1 Bag

Helmet – Giro Aerohead

Tri Shoes (unless can be placed on bike)

Rain Jacket (if expected) throw away version

LS North face shirt if temps deem it(willing to dump this at an aid station)

Work gloves bought in hardware store to toss after first aid station if needed

T2 Bag

Running shoes – nike vaporfly 4% with Stryd pod

GO BAG (ziplock) including hat, number belt, small tube of aquaphor, 2 Race Saver bags, smaller bag with 2? salt pills for back half of run.

Sox – Red Running

BSN Bag

2 Spare Tubes

2 Spare CO2 Cartridges

RSN Bag

Empty - nothing 

Saturday

Big Breakfast – pancakes, carbs, pancakes

Athlete Briefings at 11am & 3pm

Lunch- sandwich from Big Mtn Deli

Dinner – smoothies with as much cals as possible

Bike & Bag Drop off 10am – 3pm (afternoon when less people)

Movie or feet up watching Netflix

Take half Xanax at 7:30PM – go to sleep! (yes, I’ve done the Xanax before)

Sunday – 4:30 AM wake up

banana with Peanut Butter, coffee to get me going & bodily functions in gear

start drinking Gatorade (let’s come up with a better breakfast plan)

Apply body glide, nipple band aids, Aquaphor, sunscreen

Head to Transition

Body marking

Put Wahoo, ventum bottle and behind seat bottle on bike

Borrow a pump, pump tires to high 80s psi

team photo

Swim - Goal Time – 1:09

Line up with front of 1:05-1:10 group, GET ON & STAY ON the cable Expected time 1:08 – 1:12,

stay FOCUSED on technique, you’ve got this

T1 – Goal Time- 4:30

Take off top of wetsuit as exiting swim – leave on goggles & cap until wetsuit top is off

RUN after wetsuit is off

Dump gear on ground, CALL volunteer over to stuff bag, tell them to take the gift card gift card, Helmet on

Other clothes as needed

Shoes on per past years(unless allowed on bike), careful running on concrete oval and making the turn down the aisle of bikes. Look for announcer and yell out race # to them (2222)

Bike - Goal time – 5:40

Target Power

Ride 190 per discussions with P and adjust as per suggestions from BBS proven during 2s RRs on the course

Hills can spike to 195-215, controlled power when out of saddle

Lap is programmed in Wahoo for 15 minutes

Hourly Nutrition (worked out using EN Leventhal Calculator) and used successfully in past years

1.25 bottle of Gatorade & bottles for race, get one down ASAP in first 30’ to get ahead(Ventum reservoir is just shy of 2 bottles, Ventum reservoir & seatback bottle = 64 oz of GE, just shy of 3 bottles by third AS. This will save time(and anxiety) in AS execution of not needing to grab any GE bottles until the 3rd AS.

1 mini cliff bar or 1/3 banana (that's the size they are usually cut to)

1 gel

Time goal based on 5:47 bike 2016 / 5:49/2019, smarter execution with a BBS power plan will get me there.

LEAVE SHOES ON BIKE for T2

T2

Dump run stuff on ground

Sox on

Shoes on

Visor, number belt, sunglasses, anything else, in go bag

CALL volunteer over to stuff bag, tell them about gift card – GET MOVING

Put on race belt after departing

Run – Goal Time – 3:45 (2 mins faster than 2017)

comfortable pace working up to 134-136 HR / target power zone 225-235 (245 on hills)

Miles are averages (working on run plan based on power w Coach P)

Walk aid stations ONLY enough to get liquids down & drink, eat on the run, save walking Aid Stations for later miles

Remember it is very easy to run miles 1-6 & 15-20 too fast since they are mostly downhill...

Lock in on power in the 220s per Solo Camp Race Rehearsal, it's a governor on lap 1

Hills, watch HR, and slow down.. they will come, they will be very painful on the 2nd loop, remember a slow slow run is faster than a fast walk, that said, walk to get HR below 148 as needed on hills

I know I can execute well by only walking the 2nd half of the steep pitch of townie hill and start slowly running when it flattens out past the cross walk BEFORE turning left.

Hourly Run Nutrition

Alternate H2O & Gatorade at each aid station

Mix up solid food – mini clif bars, 1/3 banana, gu taking a solid at every 3rd – 4th aid station

edit - get clif blocks ASAP from aid station and have one block per mile (if they have these, if not do the chews they have contain caffeine?)

move the needle on power up for the return trip at the end of River Road, target 230s with spikes of 240-250 on the hills.

My Secret Sauce –

I know how to “race” flip the switch and it’s game on, this is my secret weapon, call it the 5th discipline after S, B, R & Nutrition

Casey Taub - #taubstrong. A long time friend lost his son Casey 2 years ago to a rare brain cancer. A star soccer player and loved by all of his classmates including my twins who also went to summer camp with Casey. Our high school has ingrained his memory in it’s sports spirit. At our Senior appreciation soccer game this year, they made the 22nd remaining minute (casey’s uniform number) a spirit minute, where every team practicing on the HS fields came and clapped for 60 seconds. Well, we scored with 22:22 on the clock, and you just can’t make that up. At our senior sports dinner, Casey’s dad asked all the students that when they play on teams in the rest of their lives, that if their number wasn’t available to play in 22 if it is available. I will be competing with bib number 2222 to honor Casey and hope he’ll look down on me and give me a bit of a push in the second loop.

Cousin Mark – I recently attended a wedding where a vibrant cousin of mine, who is my age, was exhibiting signs of Parkinsons. Thankfully it has been ruled out, but they do not know what it is. This has reminded me that our ability to play this game is something we have to take advantage of to the best of our ability today, because we never know what tomorrow may bring. For those that can’t, I do, and I do with purpose.

And if none of that does it, that getting a spot in Kona will allow me to experience my 1st Kona with @al Truscott experiencing his last

Purchase before/bring to LP

Gatorade Endurance single serving packets (4)

Poland spring sport bottle to fit bottle cage behind seat

Aquaphor, regular tube and small sample tube for Run Go Bag

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Can’t wait to follow you! You have put in some big work this year. Especially on the bike. The only thing I would comment on is maybe have some electrolyte pills that you can take if needed at least on the run. A few other thoughts. Never seen the Xanax used the night before a race. All the research I read seems to say sleep in the days prior to the race matter but sleep night before doesn’t. Also, since you have stryd now you won’t have to worry about going to fast if you are at your power goals. Nice report. You will kill it!

• Options

@scott dinhofer : You've been in the game long enough to know how it works and you've got the details nailed -- trust your training!!

I get it that small marginal aero gains are within our control, helps us feel better about being able to control as much as we can and can be argued decides the difference in Kona slots, but you could put Cameron Wurf on my 2010 Cervelo P2 with mechanical shifting and Continental Gator Skin tires on my stock wheels and he would still crush it .. trust your training!!

Couple of thoughts:

Why not a compact 50/34 crank and / or 11/30/32 cassette? Might save the hamstrings a little better for that run. Thinking that whatever you can do on the bike to save the legs for the run -- tick down watts to 185 perhaps, hold back even more on climbs, keeping cool (maybe Giro Aerohead isn't the right helmet?) will all save heart beats for the run and keep the hammies healthy and loose for that run. Agree that "smarter execution with a BBS power plan will get me there", but I'm just pushing back a little and asking you to simply consider sacrificing a bit of the bike for a smooth and awesome run.

Have you ever heard of ARP Wave Therapy? When I last tweaked my hamstring and achilles I saw a practioner in my area and after 2 weeks / 10 sessions I felt as good as new. Here is a link to my guy's website here in the Chicago area where he posts a video and other information about ARP. I'm sure there is a guy in your area that does ARP Wave Therapy. 3 weeks to race day is cutting it close and there is some recovery involved after the treatments, but it might be worth looking into, if not pre-race then post race.

On the run, when you no longer want to take in any nutrition at the aid stations, I've found it effective to take in GE, then swish GE in my mouth and spit it out. I learned that trick from the book Endure by Alex Hutchinson. Also, don't forget about taking in coke if necessary on the back half of the marathon -- the magic elixir..

I will be following the race -- you will crush it!

• Options

Nice plan! I love the specificity -- "sandwich from Big Mtn Deli."

I can't wait to stalk you! You've go this!

• Options

Great plan. Very complete and awesome build. Don't know what the weather report will be but I have some personal worries with the aerohead in the heat for a full distance. I love the helmet and feel it is super aero but I find it hot when the temps are over the mid 80's. For a 2:35-40 HIM, it's no problem but >5:30 I have had two bad race rehearsals that scared and scarred me. Last time at placid I brought a back up in case of really hot weather. I have also flipped up the visor to get more air, but that sacrifices aerodynamics. I haven't been able to find those little air vents with a water bottle to cool myself off. We will be tracking you. I hope to see you in Kona.😎

• Options

Details: Saw no reference to "charge E-Tap"; Timing chip on LEFT ankle; consider a tire & tube in Race Morning bag "just in case" bike is flat overnight; IMO keep fluid behind seat from the git-go; sunscreen in go-bag?, along with any nutrition like a gel?

You can bike a 5:35. I know it.

Run: While you can gain a couple of minutes by increasing the effort through the last 10k (and you will), don't neglect to start increasing the effort once you make that left turn into the first out and back. Just a little bit more every mile.

Good Luck, which is the intersection of preparation and opportunity. You have the preparation; may you have the opportunity to take advantage of it...

• Options

Hourly Run Nutrition - Alternate H2O & Gatorade at each aid station

Mix up solid food – mini clif bars, 1/3 banana, gu taking a solid at every 3rd – 4th aid station

edit - get clif blocks ASAP from aid station and have one block per mile

@scott dinhofer For dinner having a high calorie smoothie is good but you may want some solids 14 hours prior to start time. So that would mean around 4-5pm. Could you handle a potato or some teriyaki rice?

In the morning eating some no fiber carbs with your banana would be good. I don't know how tough your gut is but something like Cream of Wheat or Oatmeal should be easy enough to eat.

On the run - if it's hot eating solids could be really hard to digest and absorb. Stick to GE, chews, bananas, and if needed the Base Bars that are new this year. Red Bull and Cola will be diversion for taste fatigue.

When the stomach says 'no more' you could do the mouth swish and spit, like what Tony Ledden said. There is a mouth brain connection. You need to keep it in your mouth for at least 5 second for the receptors to turn on.

I'm a believer of caffeine for the second half of the run. Think of how to get that in.

Good luck Scott... go for it. Next AG won't be any easier.

• Options
    edited July 16, 2019 9:46PM

@Al Truscott "everything is faster on race day" if that's true, a 5:35 is in reach. The etap batteries were in there as "SRAM Batteries" - noted on the morning tube... Big believer in Coppertone sport sunscreen staying on all day. Worked in sailing, and hasn't really failed me yet in Tri..

I usually walk to transition with a 30oz bottle of gatorade.. maybe a gel or cliff bar will come along.. (or a pastry :-) )

Having a detailed run conversation with @Coach Patrick this week. I very much believe I should be putting in more from the get go. By "first left turn" I assume you mean the turn onto River road at the bottom of Ski jump hill? that road is a LONG 3.3 miles...

@Sheila Leard - the methodology is tried and true for ME... So I am not looking to alter it much. Part of the smoothie thing is to have an empty GI tract easily in the AM. Most of your advice otherwise resonates.. I know that coke on lap two will be big @Tony Ledden & that Coach P will be telling me that when I pass him on my way back out of town. Caffeine will come in the coke! Also, I don't think the next AG will be any easier, I hope I will be able to train with a healthier body!

@Robert Sabo I hear you on the aerohead, I rode most of the 2nd loop on Sunday with the visor up (it wasn't a race, right..." and I spent time looking at aero helmet articles today. I think any helmet that has good ventilation is also lower aero.. I also agree on it being tough to find the holes for spilling in water, I plan on accomplishing that somehow.. Hopefully we'll be sharing a libation in paradise! thanks for the support!

@Tony Ledden rode the course 2x this past weekend, only a few places where the cadence got stupid slow. Not going to change up the rings at this point, but i might, you never know.. that said, it's a good excuse to get out of the saddle and give my back (which has some issues) a break..

@Tim Sullivan - good call on the salt pills and will add them to my go bag inside a smaller bag I can tuck in my kit pocket.

• Options

Scott, I have nothing to add, the hay is in the barn, you have the numbers, you will most likely need to exceed some of those numbers to make this happen, you know how to race well, I believe in you making this happen, find the edge of that envelope and stay there, its all mental on race day. I'm gonna bump my big days up to fri/sat so I can watch the show on Sunday. Good Skill my friend :-)

• Options

Scott, I'll just pile on the encouragement for good decision making. You have done the homework, know the course, know yourself and can execute with the best of them. You have the fitness, spend it wisely. Always keep in mind where the race starts for you per your plan - I would emphasize the SMART. "The second turn-around at the end of River Road is your "go" point...  Get there as SMART as possible"  I'm always pulling for my favorite protected rider. Go get 'em.

• Options

@tim cronk MANY MANY MANY of our conversations from your dock and other locales spin through my head as I plan, train & prep. Know you are with me pushing me every, stroke, pedal & step of the way. Your comments above about "the edge" resonate loudly from the training i did last weekend and will be a focus of my conversation and final planning with P

@matt limbert honored to have that status🤓. SMART is a good word that I should tape to my handlebars!

• Options

One think in an excellent plan jumped out: Here forward, stop thinking about your weight, no matter how tempting it is to model the BBS using a Best Case of the pounds you'll be carrying. Eat to fuel your race, but don't chase a finishing number or cut cals.

• Options

Great plan @scott dinhofer ! I've got nothing to add beyond what has already been said. I was going to ask about the no solids at dinner, but I see @Sheila Leard already addressed it.

I do like what @Tony Ledden mentioned about sacrificing a little with the the bike to protect the run. I see your response and agree that it may be too late to change things, but definitely stretch the hammy a few times during that 5:30 bike 😉.

I look forward to following you next weekend! Win!

• Options

Don't get fixated on any time for the bike and stick to your Watts. If the wind is blowing, it could seriously effect those times but remember it will effect everyone.

• Options

@scott dinhofer - only thing I'll add is that you have really been smart through this build. Protecting a bum hamstring is not easy to do, but you have done a great job! Carry that same good decision making through race day and set yourself up for the finish. I will be cheering for you!

• Options

Scott - how many slots in your ag, normally?

Rest up! You got this.

• Options

@Dave Tallo - funny, I am a bit demoralized after this morning's swim. I usually swim with the speed shorts (flotation) and I am doing all swims without them. As of yesterday afternoon, the lake was 77. I realize that this will slow down most everyone except 5-8 people that would be ahead of me in the swim anyways, the real question is where I can get myself overall in the rolldown.

last few years there were 3 slots, last year there was a 4th and it rolled to 9th, year before it rolled to 5th.

just can play the cards I am dealt as best as I can on my day .

• Options

@scott dinhofer In GroupMe, you asked about the heat pace calculator. Here is the most recent version from 2014. Myself, I no longer use this, as I think HR is a simpler way to accomplish the same thing, but using the calculator is a good cross check. It shows that if your VDOT is 50 (my estimate for your racing VDOT), and the temp starts at 100 and goes down to 85, your time would be 4:34, compared to 3:44 under "normal" conditions (70F).

• Options

Excited to finally share a course with you, @scott dinhofer! I know that your ability to “flip the switch” will set you apart. Stay focused on what you can control. I’ll see you out there brotha!

• Options

@scott dinhofer late to this thread. Have a great race.

The only comment I have is about the Thursday pre-race. If you are comfortable on the descent then get in a bit of riding to keep sharp, either that or just head out and do the regular descent to shake out the legs.

• Options
    edited July 22, 2019 7:38PM

@Al Truscott - i was actually asking for everyone else! maybe we can get @Coach Patrick to put it back in the wiki?

@Gordon Cherwoniak yup, doing an 11 mile loop that will basically be transition to river road, (run course) down to the end, and then up papa bear and northwoods...

do NEED to shake things out on the bike..

thanks @Brad Marcus - finally we get to race one together!!!

• Options

@scott dinhofer - Good thorough race plan. As already mentioned, you've had a great build this year after recovering from your crash. You've put in the work and now it's time to execute. Approach race day with humble confidence and remember that great races/PRs happen outside your comfort zone. Stay just outside your comfort zone until mile 18 - 20, then let the beast out.

You'll have a great race and I'll be cheering for you!

• Options

@scott dinhofer So many great comments here. Great race plan. Thank you for putting out there. I will be watching on race day. have fun!

• Options

@scott dinhofer

have a great one.

will be following.

push it in a controlled way. Then last third of the run slap it hard.