Homeโ€บ Racing Forum ๐ŸŽ
Options

Hoff's 2019 IMLP Race Report

If I were to try and sum up my race with a song title, it would probably be Tom Petty's Breakdown. Many things that could go wrong did. But not nearly as bad as when I was laying in a hospital bed 13 months ago with 10 broken bones.

Swim Time - goal 1:08 - 1:12; actual 1:09 - swim was wetsuit legal! My day started out great as I walked to transition after eating a breakfast of a banana, Peanut butter and a Naked shake, I was sipping on a Skratch hyper hydration when I heard Mike Reilly announce the water Temperature. Given that I was hoping for a potential Kona Rolldown, I knew if it wasn't I'd be in trouble.

Lined up with the 1hr - 1:10 group, in the front and went in, found the cable and worked on finding my stroke. Not horrible on the body contact, came out of the first loop at 33' and knew I had something good going on despite the pain in my right shoulder where I have a slightly torn rotator cuff. Went in for lap two, came out in 1:09, good for a split of my two previous IMLP swims that were 1:08:xx and 1:09:xx. ran through transition, got the right bag. I probably would have been 15-20" faster than last year's T1 if the volunteer manning my row had gotten my bike for me. Mounted, saw Coach P, and went off on the bike and got to work.

T1 - 4:30 Goal - 4:50 actual (5th AG)

Bike - goal 5:35 - 5:50, actual 6:15 , note the VI is really thrown off by the 20+ minutes on the side of the road.

Got to work on the bike drinking fluids, staying on top of my watts and working the course. I came to LP two weeks earlier and rode the course two times, two days in a row, practicing the best bike split approach to the course which had me at 205-220 watts on most hills, 190 for the flats and 150s-180s for downhills. Rocked the Keene descent, ripped through town, Reilly calls my name, I spot jill screaming for me in the crowd, along with a few other shout outs, get my 1/2 way split and knew it would be a slower ride, was targeting 5:53 which was reasonable given that there was a headwind out of town as well as a real sock in the face on the Hazleton out and back when you turned around and started back to LP. On lap two I got engaged with a few riders on the flats out of Keene and i was drafting legally off one about 6-8 lengths back. Unfortunately, as he passed people, he'd pick up another 3 drafters who were much closer to him and I kept sliding back. I decided (too late it would turn out) that this wasn't a good place to be, started to move up on the group and pulled out of line to begin my pass when the umpire came up next to me and gave me a blue card.

I hammered at 205 on the flats to get to the penalty tent and found myself picking off cyclists who passed me just a few minutes earlier and took a 4:30 break that probably was 5 total with the slow down and start up. I now of course was working the hill up to Hazleton harder than I should and became conscious of that on the out/back. Fortunately, my training partner James was still clearly behind me. At Mile 93 I got a severe cramp on the inside of my thigh that I've had before, though not in those 2x training rides, 2 weeks earlier. I was a bit surprised as I knew I was well on top of my bottles and despite getting out of cycle with the penalty tent was probably looking at a 7 bottle ride. shifted into the big chain ring as i was on a flat section out of Wilmington and chain jumped over the big, so i shifted down to small, which I've done hundreds of times, and the chain jumps and gets caught between small ring and bike. I thought I could shift it out and ended up getting it more stuck. Got of the bike and had a real bad situation. After what seemed like forever, I got it unstuck, but the chain was bent. I started riding and the chain was skipping and wouldn't stay on the big chain ring. One more time it jumped in between bike & frame and had to get off. Fortunately , bike service actually came by shortly after and actually had a 11 speed chain. Changed me out and got me on my way. Between the penalty and the mechanical, I lost approximately 23 minutes. Finished the bike, had a reasonable T2, but wasn't setting any records. Saw James pass me when I was working with bike support so that battle was lost.

I poured a cup of water on my chest as I exited T2 (2:30 goal - 3:10 actual (7th AG)

Saw Jill, gave her a kiss, saw Patrick, didn't get a kiss from him, but he felt my back and told me to "get wet." I started running down towards the first Aid Station by Lisa Gs, got Ice in my RaceSaver bag and put that under my hat, dumped one cup of water each on front and back, slugged some gatorade and got going. Repeated most of this at every AS. For the first lap, my power seemed good, particularly the first few miles where right away I was passing people who were walking the first lap. Unfortunately, my hamstring injury announced itself a few times when i put weight on my left leg and it felt like it might collapse. On top of all of this, something that flared up in the last two weeks was that my right shoulder would be in excruciating pain from the torn rotator cuff. Thankfully the AS breaks seemed to be keeping that bearable. On top of townie hill, I came across @Andrew Lustigman starting his first lap and gave him some strong encouragement. Coming back down the hill, my inebriated friend Colin Martin joined me from the sidelines and ran me down townie hill while interviewing me on his phone. At mile 17.5 as I approached the end of River Road, I saw James walking the other way (he's one AG up and was also hoping to get a KQ) I just yelled "No No NOOOO" at him and he told me of his own travails with an extended porta potty stop and announced he was going to walk it in. At this point, my high upper hamstring/glute was flaring up, my feet were killing me from the Nike Vaporflys (clearly not the shoe for me), I knew I was way out of contention and felt the only thing I could do was to injure myself further. I mostly walked from 19-24, I think seeing James, Kori, and others walking, along with my bike leg issue allowed myself to give myself permission to walk. Yt in the last two miles, I got it together to run more and finish strong.

Saw James in the Oval on the sidelines, He apparently got it together and ran down an 8th place in 55-59, went back to the hotel, cleaned up, had a quick dinner and got back to see Andy Finish and catch him behind the finish line.

Ironman #10 in the books. I have to remind myself that 14 weeks ago I really didn't even think I would be here, and that 13 months ago I was laying in a hospital bed lucky not to be a paraplegic. I did ART (Active release therapy) 2-3x per week for the last twelve weeks and had a modified run training plan that only had one real run over 11 miles.

While I would very much like to consider doing a fall IM in Choo or Louisville. I think the better answer is going to be to see the docs (appointments scheduled) consider treatment (likely PRP injections), heal up, build up and continue leaning up for a successful onslaught as I age up next year. I would like to do Kona, but I really want to get there the hard way, not the Legacy. I know from my past performances and my capabilities that I am just outside that bubble and maybe inside of it if I can show up healthy AND execute the right race. I think the prep and the bike on this race showed me I am consistently doing this right. I need 2017s run with the bike fitness I had this year and a slightly better body comp, and yes Tim & Al, part of why I didn't lose enough is because I started late and focused on doing it right and not the stupid way. I've barely had the bad food I promise myself after an IM and I am already sick of it! I am also signed up for LP next year and while it isn't an official focus race (yet) @Coach Patrick always goes and it would be great if we could get a huge EN contingent there again next year.

Bike File - http://tpks.ws/TA2YQ5XS6NWWQFBHNPKK4BUIUI

Run File - http://tpks.ws/JRQ76Z5W43V52FBHNPKK4BUIUI

my BIG win was convincing @Andrew Lustigman 5 weeks ago not to drop out of this and that he could easily finish this race. It was my privilege and honor to share the course with him, Can't wait to read all the gory details!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@scott dinhofer ... funny, I posted my race report moments ago and then saw yours pop up. Man, you had some story... that was a tough day. You still ended up with some pretty good numbers despite all of the challenges with the bike and so on. I thought it was a pretty challenging day myself... the wind was tough and it felt pretty warm out on the run to me. I love your attitude... it really came through when I met you at the 4 keys talk. Thanks for all of your help and advice. Your attitude is contagious! Way to hang in there and get the day done with good numbers even after a number of challenges. Just being here racing after your injuries is pretty amazing! You did much more than just show up.

• Options

@scott dinhofer Definitely a tough day out there for you and you overcame the obstacles. Congrats on finish number 10. As for the legacy versus qualifying I would not discount either way but do see your point of qualifying. It does take a couple years to get the legacy and you have to validate it. You would most likely have a couple more shots a qualifying prior.

Finally good call on get to the doctors and clearing things up over a late season IM. Not sure I'll make it to Lake Placid next year but have an IM penciled in for 2021.

• Options

Congratulations @scott dinhofer for a hard earned finish. Courage and tenacity all the way.

Curious on that drafting penalty. An athlete has 25 seconds per athlete to make the pass. If you came up on an athlete and showed intent to make the pass within 25 seconds you should not be carded.

Your engine is strong just need to repair the chassis. You have a lot going for you as you age up.

• Options

@scott dinhofer I like the upbeat and objective nature of your report, and thus your attitude about your build-up and race day. Having watched your swim, bike and run evolve over the past 9 years, including your several stand-downs along the way, I am quite impressed by both the speed/endurance you have developed, and the cool race savvy you;ve acquired.

Thinking a bit about Legacy vs the Hard Way, I don;t see it that way. Doing 12-14 IMs is an endurance event all by itself, and not one to be diminished. As you have seen, simply staying healthy through all that can be a challenge, as is the need to remain consistent and committed. Either way, I hope one day to be using you as an excuse to go party on the Big Island second Saturday some October, now that my race days there are coming to an end.

• Options

Congratulations on another IM @scott dinhofer. It didn't go as well as you planned, but you still pulled it together. It was nice to finally meet you in person, if only for a few minutes. You are an inspiration to many of us, even the quiet ones, on EN.

• Options

@Al Truscott - it's easy to be upbeat when the perspective is the far side of the finish line and not a hospital bed! As for your comments on the legacy, I'll take that and since I am debating on another race this year vs next year. i have decided for reasons I will write a thread on later, that it will be two next year. I am transferring my IMCanada entry to LP. I know the course too well, it's easy to take Jill there, and it's easy for me to grab one or two training weekends there. It would be my humble honor to have you share my Kona week, so we're gonna make it happen. The fact that I learned that IM reduced the requirement to do an IM every year to stay validated for Legacy to doing a 70.3 or 5150, makes it much easier to consider... If all goes well, I will KQ next year or earn the legacy!

@Stephen Cogger - the best thing about EN is the community and the people we meet at events and make friendships out of. Don't be so quiet and I hope to share the course with you again next year!

• Options

Congrats on #10! It was great to meet you pre-race and see you on the run course, regardless of our relative conditions. All the best for your doctor visits and continued Kona quest.

• Options

Well done Mr Dinhofer. Great perseverance

• Options

Way to keep things in perspective @scott dinhofer

You knew you were pushing the envelope before you even consider the mechanical. You had a plan that was based on reality. You executed that plan. Other things were thrown at you (mostly) out of your control and that proved too much.

Take some time off, come back healthy and fast as ever.

• Options

Congratulations on the finish! Never easy when things don't go the way you expect. Always a chance to learn something about yourself and finishing that many IMS is a big deal! Get well!

• Options

Congrats on #10! I enjoyed stalking you on race day.

• Options

Somehow I missed your race report.

Congratulations on persevering through your race day obstacles and getting it done! It's tough dealing with mechanical issues plus a lingering hammy injury but like you noted, you've come a long way from 13 months ago and was able to toe the line. I hope you get healed up and come back even stronger in the new AG. I think you have a lot of racing left in you and hope to race with you again.

• Options

thanks @Derrek Sanks - so many WTFs in my head on this one.. why was I able to do 2x of the full course 2 weeks earlier, no cramping issues and have a fabulous 17 mile run the day after that and then have the issues I had in LP? no idea.. but now I've got other issues if you missed in the group me... Apparently I managed to beat 80% of my AG with major tendinitis, 2 hernias, and a veinal issue that may or may include a cyst in my labrum. Right now, just trying to do some maintenance work, get a treatment plan from doc & get in shape for skiing & build the base for 2020.. looking for an epic year. Hopefully we'll at least do a camp if not reace together. In the meantime my immediate focus is getting "derrek Sanks Skinny" !!