Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Dave’s 2019 IMLP Race Report

In summary, I enjoyed the weekend in Lake Placid. It’s a great venue, beautiful scenery, challenging course, nice for families. The end of the race didn’t turn out quite as I had envisioned, but I kept moving forward and accomplished my overall goal of finishing a bucket-list race. 

Total time 13:42:08 144/261 M40-44, 964/2060 OA. Almost one hour longer than my previous finishes at IMWI, which is a bit disappointing. But I’m still happy I gave it my best shot and finished!

My family (wife, two girls 6 & 10, 2 dogs) arrived with our RV at the KOA outside of town on Thursday night. Friday was then action packed with a swim, run, bike, plus registration and 4 keys. We drove the descent but decided not to ride it based on traffic conditions and lack of many other riders out in the late afternoon. Rode part of the course from campground back towards town instead. Saturday we picked up a rental car for the family to spectate then bike & gear admin, etc. 

Race Day:

Things started out fine. I arrived early early and easily found a parking spot in a lot suggested by CoachP (thanks!), so I was able to relax and take my time dropping off bags, nutrition, etc. Found the team picture site and chilled with some last minute tips from Coach. 

Headed to the swim start around 6:15 - happy to have my full wetsuit be legal in the 73.8 degree water. Beach was crazy crowded as they were not letting AGers into corrals until pros started. Eventually found my way to middle of 1:10-1:20 group. Anthem was sung and we were off, in the water by 6:47 or so.

Swim: Back-of-mind (BOM) goal time was 1:15. Actual time 1:13

Swim was pretty solid. Eventually got comfortable and found the cable, despite some bumping, kicking and other contact. Got off the cable but kept swimming. Completed the first lap and saw a time on the clock that equated to about 37 minutes for the first lap, I think. Tried to stay on the cable better in lap 2 and was happy with my 1:13 (IM swim PR, as Coach P predicts).

T1: BOM goal time 10:00. Actual time 8:26

T1 was pretty uneventful. That’s a long run from swim to bag. Jogged it as best I could without getting too crazy. Didn’t find a volunteer, but survived. In hindsight, should’ve put on the arm coolers that I had ready to go. Might also consider socks in the future - shoes started to wear on feet during bike. Jogged out of tent, got my bike from a volunteer, and jogged to mount line.

Side note: Coach P was literally everywhere all day. Amazing. So appreciative to have his support out there. Got a few tips at the bike mount line and was off.

Bike: BOM goal time 6:30. Actual time 6:40. First loop 3:15, second loop 3:25. Right on the 10 minute positive split Coach talks about. 

Goal NP 180. Actual NP 181. TSS 322  VI 1.08

I was worried about two things going in - the Keene descent and getting a mechanical problem. Neither was problematic. The bike performed great all day and the descent was fun. 50mph max and no brakes, despite not riding it ahead of time. I did my best to spin up the hills and keep my foot on the gas on the flats and downhills. The worst climbs in my opinion were the ones out of town and the turn onto 86 in Jay. The first time on Hazelton I thought I’d never get to the turn around. The head winds were definitely tough on the second loop coming into town. Ultimately I think a low power to weight ratio, nutrition and keeping cool were my downfalls and led to a long bike. I was pretty mentally tired at the end and while I tried to keep the GE flowing and peed 2-3 times, I got tired of it near the end and didn’t drink enough in the last 10-12 miles. Lack of a supplemental salt plan didn’t help, and I should’ve used more water to dump over me at aid stations earlier on.

T2: BOM goal time 5:00. Actual time 6:30

Another rather uneventful transition. Took off bike shoes at dismount because they were grinding on me, then carefully jogged to bags/tent. I was never so happy to put on comfy socks and my cushy Hoka Bondi’s. Took go bag, got sunscreened and headed out.

Run: BOM goal time 4:30. Actual time 5:33. :(

I walked out of T2 to get the stuff from my go bag, then started jogging. Saw Coach P by Lisa G’s and he started running with me asking me how I was doing. He told me my jersey wasn’t wet enough (or at all really) and to get it soaking. I got ice in my zip lock go bag and tried to get as wet as possible. I was worried about my socks getting wet and blisters, but knew getting cool was important because my HR was too high. My plan was to run 240w steady with HR caps, but that quickly went out the window with my too high HR. So I tried to keep running by HR, which went ok until the bike/heat/nutrition caught up with me about half way in. I was running between hills and aid stations, but HR was too high and couldn’t get it under control. Tried to keep getting wet and using ice, but it was too late. Should’ve done more cooling on the bike. Kept up with my nutrition plan early, even front loading gels, which held until mile 8 or so, but then my stomach shut down after the Mirror Lake Drive out-and-back. The last half was a sufferfest of walking and occasionally running while trying to keep from throwing up. Managed to run/jog a few flats and downhills on River Road. Then finally I sucked it up and ran the last mile or less from EN tent on MLD down the hill into the oval and around to the finish. So happy to see my family along the finish chute and tried to smile listen for my name as I crossed the line.

Many lessons learned and things I know can be improved on. Started thinking of all those on the drive back West and somehow already looking forward to another round in Louisville in 10 weeks or so. But in the end I’m grateful to have crossed another IM finish line. Many thanks to Coach P and the team for helping me get there!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Ultimately I think a low power to weight ratio, nutrition and keeping cool were my downfalls and led to a long bike. I was pretty mentally tired at the end and while I tried to keep the GE flowing and peed 2-3 times, I got tired of it near the end and didn’t drink enough in the last 10-12 miles. Lack of a supplemental salt plan didn’t help, and I should’ve used more water to dump over me at aid stations earlier on.

@Davemehl0203@gmail.com Congratulations! You brought your A game and that's what matters.

I absolutely love your pictures!! Such proud looks on their faces. 😍

It looks like in hindsight you answered your own questions. I think it takes about a week to process an IM. Being able to assess the moment and make decisions when racing can be hard. You have to trust yourself. When taste fatigue sets in sometimes all you need is a mint. Seriously, there are studies out that show the sensation of peppermint in the mouth can help energize you.. Carry mint flavored TUMS.

• Options

@Sheila Leard thank you! I’d never thought of tums or mints during an IM - I’m willing to try anything, so I’ll have to give that a shot before Louisville. Another idea I was considering was starting with something other than GE on the bike, then GE at AS, then something else at BSN, before finishing with GE from AS. And maybe some caffeine in the stuff from BSN. Will experiment in the next 10 weeks. Thanks again!

• Options

@Davemehl0203@gmail.com I start with NBS Hydration Drink (one of our sponsors) , it's a lot like Skratch. High electrolytes, low sugar.

The second half I've done either get a concentrated bottle of NBS (from BSN) for down tube and squirt it in aero bottle with water from AS. I've also gone to GE but don't drink the entire bottle, it's too nauseating for me. Always water at AS for spraying body if needed and just cold refreshing water - but not too much!! Supplement calories with chews and Pickey bars (another sponsor) .

https://www.endurancenation.us/sponsors-and-partners/

If all body parts cooperate I'll see you in LV :)

• Options

Thanks @Sheila Leard I will check out the NBS products. Hope everything cooperates and I see you in Louisville!

• Options

@Dave Mehl No question about your guts, perseverance, commitment, and training preparedness. For you next effort, I'd reassess the amount of work you're doing on the bike. IMO these are the metrics to look at after the fact: total kilojoules, TSS, IF, and VI.Kilojoules, I think anything between 2600 & 2800 is the place to be. EG, when I did Lake Placid, I went 6:39 with 3,012 KJ, and walked about 2 mile total out of the last 4, really stumbling to the finish, At other IMs, when I've been below 2750, I could always finish the run, running. For TSS, anything between 250 and 280 is probably the sweet spot. Anything over 290, at least for a sub-6:30-7 hr bike, means you will walk some on the run. For IF, the longer you go, the lower it needs to be for those #'s to add up. For 6:30-7 hrs, that means 0.65-0.67 MAX. And the lower the VI, the better.

The IM race day bike should feel easier than anything you've done in training. Otherwise, you;re burning energy you'll need on the run.

• Options

Thanks for all of your thoughts @Al Truscott ! Already starting to plan out new strategies for Lou both power and nutrition. I'll definitely have your ideas in mind.