Homeโ€บ Races & Places ๐Ÿโ›บ
Options

Blue Ridge 70.3

I see that IM has pulled Williamsburg 70.3 and replaced it with Blue Ridge 70.3. Any insight on the course (and thoughts why Williamsburg was nuked)?

Comments

• Options

This is what I have gathered.

Split transition course.

Swim at Carvin's Cove by special permit. No pre race swimming allowed. Limited parking there so speculation is that there will be a bus from downtown/T2.

Bike course will be northwest of the city mostly in Botetourt county.

T2 likely to be at one of the parks along the Roanoke River in downtown. I heard Rivers Edge Park mentioned.

The bike course description says something about net downhill. Note that Carvin's Cove is at 1,168 ft (356 m) and River's Edge Park is at 922 feet. ;-)

Run on the greenway along the Roanoke River.

I have not idea why the Williamsburg event was canned or why they moved the Virginia event date so close to the Eagleman date since one would think that they two events are serving the same metro area more or less. My only thought is that this might be more of an IM Raleigh replacement since the first weekend in June was the Raleigh 70.3 date and Roanoke is a little over three hours from Raleigh and perhaps the deal with Challenge/Rev3 was for Quassy+Williamsburg?

That being said, I've already registered for IM 70.3 Chattanooga on May 17 so will take a pass at Blue Ridge 70.3 on June 7th. I'll be following along closely for 2021 though!

• Options

I mentioned this yesterday during @Coach Patrick's Office Hours:

Proposed Special Use Permit for Triathlon to include road closure

The Blue Ridge Parkway is considering issuance of a Special Use Permit for a triathlon which would involve a full closure of the motor road on Sunday, June 7, 2020. This proposed event may host 2,500 cyclists riding on the Parkway motor road from Virginia Route 43 (Parkway milepost 91) to Virginia Route 24/Washington Avenue (Parkway milepost 112) near Roanoke, Virginia (please see attached map). In consideration for the safety of the large number of participants, motorists, and all park visitors, if a permit is issued a full two-lane closure of the motor road would be proposed for the duration of the event, to potentially include up to a 24 hour period. Access to all other sections of the Parkway motor road, as well as non-roadway areas such as trails, would remain unchanged.

This is OPEN FOR COMMENTS. I said something about this is a good use for a national park.

Here's an article about the proposal: Ironman organizers seeking use of 20-mile stretch of Blue Ridge Parkway

@Carl Alleyne

• Options
    edited November 15, 2019 6:18PM

I understand that the hills are only in the first part of the course for the bike.

They're into Tier 3 pricing, so if you're thinking of signing up, now's the time! I'll be racing since it's in my backyard.

• Options

@Janyne Kizer Thanks! If I do a local HIM in 2020, I'll def consider this one.