Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Lee Ann O’Regan Official Coach Thread [TeamEN]

edited August 14, 2019 7:27PM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Lee Ann -

I have a similar plan for you and Evan through the 100k, and it's modified through Placid 70.3™. There is one bigger weekend of back-to-back runs but they can be hikes / run walks, etc...once we are through the 70.3™ we will need to make Adjustments to keep you healthy, etc. Please put your personal questions in this thread so we can be sure to support you!

++++++++++++++++

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 70.3 Lake Placid (09-08-2019)
  • 100km ultra (10-26-2019)

Your Notes

180 FTP. Lifetime athlete/runner. Boston qualifier (2013). Sidelined by an injury 4 to 5 years ago, and after a merry-go-round of diagnoses (stress fracture, neuroma, torn labrum) - all eventually incorrect. Found relief through deep tissue massage and chiropractic. Cross training through swim/bike and getting over fear of open water eventually led to my first tri 2018 IM 70.3 Mont Tremblant, followed by IM 70.3 Lake Placid last September (brrrr!). Current year: 2019 IM 70.3 Mont Tremblant (0:43S/6:17B/2:05R) and 2019 Ironman Lake Placid (1:35S/7:32B/5:33R). Upcoming: IM 70.3 Lake Placid (Sept. 2019) and 100km ultra (Oct 26, 2019). A combination of zone 2 to zone 3 run training, reserving intervals for the bike have kept me pain free the last couple of years (Banff-Jasper Relay, IMLP). Goals:

- Increase fitness to get back to pre-injury performance levels

- Shave my run time/race execution to sub 2hr run (70.3)

- Increase my fitness injury free to run Boston qualifier

- Feel the bike is an area where I can make notable improvements

Up Next:

- 2020 IM 70.3 Mont Tremblant 

- “A” race: 2020 IM Mont Tremblant

- Open to adding other races to the schedule

Longer-term: just as I discovered with focused training that I had run speed in me, would love to see where I can take my tri fitness to be the best (strongest/fastest) I can be.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on August 14, 2019

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Lee Ann, Welcome back to Endurance Nation. I'm Matt and I'm here to help make your first 30 days as easy and awesome as possible. I'll help you get up to speed with your plan, your basic schedule, workout terminology, and all of our resources. I'll send some links to articles, forums or coach videos that apply to your training. I encourage you to look around and let me know what you are interested in. There are ton of videos, coach lessons and forums that are available to you as a TeamEN member.

First, here are are some easy steps to get the most out out your training plan, Coach Thread and Final Surge.

Again, Power user tip! Subscribe to this Coach Thread and get an email when respond. It keeps the communication moving. Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when you get a response in your Coach thread. See video here:

Next, get setup in Final Surge. Coach Patrick has just made your season plan in Final Surge, so you can sync your Garmin or Strava (only one!) and get your workout data uploaded. (Chose Strava if you ride on Zwift.)

In Final Surge: Workouts -> Garmin / Device Upload

Then chose either Garmin or Strava. Just chose one, otherwise you will get double workouts recorded in Final Surge.

As you get all your tech setup (Connecting to Final Surge) either Garmin or Strava. Also consider downloading the Final Surge App. This might make it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

It makes it super easy to add comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." Then add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Just a quick note goes a long way and are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

You can also setup Final Surge to send you emails with your workouts every day.

Once you get your Garmin/Strava/Final Surge linked up, we can work on updating your training plan with customized zones. We will need some 5k race heart rate data (for the run) and FTP power (for the bike). Once we have that data we can update your workouts and integrate your data. The original set of workouts will say 20' @ Zone 2, but once we update your training plan with your zones they will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate). After we update them you won't have to memorize your numbers - but you will become intimately familiar with them.

Here is how to update your zones:

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule a call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

Talk with you soon.

• Options

Lee Ann, How are things going? I saw your comment about your shin, then your long run on Saturday looked really strong. Looking forward to your rematch at Lake Placid?

You may want to check out some of Coach Patrick's race execution guidance as you think about your race. It starts with overall guidance, 4 keys to racing, then transitions into specifics for the Ironman and Half-Ironman. A lot of this should be familiar to you, but you might pick up a tip or two and consider including into your race plan.

Long Version (lots of detail)

Summary Version:

If you are interested in more. These are resources from the "Learning" section of the Dashboard - under "long course triathlon" and "Wiki" -> "Race Execution" -> "Advanced Race Execution Resources"

• Options

Appreciate the guidance and helpful links above. Looping back to address the homework questions in advance of my call with Matt tomorrow:

1. What will make you consider this season a success?

This season I have upped my training load significantly from the past few years, so first and foremost, I'd say I'm aiming to get through the season healthy and injury free (so far, that's a check!). Secondly, the 2018 season was really about me finding my comfort zone with triathlon. I'm now shifting my focus from completing to competing.

My goals for the current season were/are:

• 2019 Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant -- to trim down 2018 bike and run time (done!)
    • Ironman Lake Placid -- to finish (finished smiling, so that's a check!)
    • Canada Army Run (Ottawa, Sept. 22) -- fun run with friends
    • Ottawa Fall Colours Marathon (Oct. 13) -- fun run to pace a friend looking to complete her first marathon
    • Javalina Jundred (100km, Arizona, Oct. 26) -- to complete injury free, hopefully with a smile
    • Shift into the off season to keep the training going to get stronger and faster, with added strength training

2. What is your biggest limiter?

• Staying injury free: I was sidelined by a metatarsal injury 4-5 years ago; found relief through deep tissue massage and chiropractic. I'm ecstatic to reintroduce speed work into my training -- for the past couple of years, I've played it safe sticking with zone 2-3 run training and focusing intervals on the bike -- looking to find a balance to be able to build more speed to get back to my pre injury performance levels (ran a 3h35 BQ in 2013). 
    • Time: my days are limited in the sense that I work 9-5 (office job), so the most I can fit in during the workday is a 40-45min run over lunch. Thankfully Ev's schedule is flexible which allows him to fit in workouts during the day to enable me to get my workouts in early AM or evenings. We try to get in workouts together when we can. Biggest limiter overall is when Ev travels for work (can amount to ~ 40% at peak time), which limits my available time to fit in workouts when solo parenting (2 kids ages 8 &9, 2 dogs). 

Looking ahead to 2020:

• 70.3 Mont Tremblant (would like to aim for sub 6)
    • Ironman Mont Tremblant (would like to aim to complete in under 13h30, possibly aim for sub 13)
    • Possibly another ultra race (100km or 100 miler) -- ask me again post Javelina :)
    • Considering a fall 2020 marathon focused run event -- would love to re-qualify for Boston (BQ'd in 2013, 3:35:54)
    • Also likely a few fun runs in the mix...TBD

• Options

Hey Coach Patrick!

Following up on your request to send along a some photos of me on the bike (position/fit) and of my arches -- sounds so much better than my "foot pics" 😂 (see attached).

Lee Ann

• Options

Lee Ann, It was fun to chat with you today. Thanks for the call. Here are some notes and references we talked about.

Update your zones for your training plan. You have zones set in Final Surge. You are so close! Coach Patrick made a video for updating our training plan with integrated training zones. Check it out here:

Endurance Nation Race execution guidance. As you set your process goals for Lake Placid 70.3 - consider your last experience and compare it to our race guidance. Look at one or two areas that you can improve and gain some additional "free" time with just better race decision making and execution (i.e. transitions, fueling, pacing, hill climbing...)

Long Version (lots of detail)

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/RacingMemberCentral/RaceExecutionDetails/MasterRaceExecutionPage(HalfFull).aspx

Summary Version:

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Race+Execution%2c+Half+Ironman

If you are interested in more. These are resources from the "Learning" section of the Dashboard - under "long course triathlon" and "Wiki" -> "Race Execution" -> "Advanced Race Execution Resources"

Salt Caps. You mentioned the bad taste of Base Salt. Here are some Salt Caps that are taken like a pill and are popular with many folks on the Team. The additional minerals and salts help keep your body chemistry and hydration in balance - which keeps your stomach happier, but you need to rehearse with them.

Mentally re-framing a "good" run. You have really dialed in what aggravates your foot/metatarsal injury - the excessive or repetitive days of speed work and what mitigates it (deep tissue massage / chiropractic work). So, re-framing a "good" speedwork session is one that gets some quality work done, AND enables you to do MORE quality work later. Consistent work is better than super fast work. Some speed done often is a better stimulus than super fast that increases injury risk. Discipline here is key and having a bias for just enough - rather than too much.

Post Placid 70.3 transition to Ultra and Swap a bike for run day. Next time you talk with Coach Patrick, remember to ask about dialing back/customizing the first couple of weeks of the ultra plan based on how Lake Placid goes. Those first couple of weeks have 4+ hour long runs - talk about how to transition from where your body and fitness end up after Placid and how to integrate into the Ultra plan for Javelina. Also, talk about swapping in a bike day for the strides day (or any other day) depending on how your foot and body is feeling.

Upper body Strength Training Forum Thread. Your question on incorporating Upper Body Strength Training into the Run Durability or OutSeason plans is a great question. Use your trial period access to the forums to get an answer from the entire EN community. We have a lot of folks that are willing to help and have a ton of experience to share. Post your question in the General Training forum and chat with the rest of the team.

Again, it was fun to talk with you. I'll be stoked to hear your race report from Lake Placid.

• Options

@Lee Ann O'Regan Ok, thanks for the picutres you send me over the internet . Hehe. 🤣

1. You are sitting too far behind the center of your cranks (red vertical) which is causing an acute angle between your thigh and shin.
    2. Another example is how far back your elbows are from your aerobar pads (and how open an angle we have from forearm to shoulder joint.
    3. We need you to move forward First and Then upwards in the saddle. Such that the nose of the saddle is over or in front of the center of the bottom bracket. You are currently riding in a road cycling position but using aerobars...that's tough!

As for your feet, they are "taut" for sure. Interesting to note that your right arch is slightly lighter than the left. So while you don't have super high arches, you do need support in there in the form of either a great stability shoe or an orthotic. Can you remind me if you use any kind of insert?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick - thanks for the observations you've noted above. Will schedule another bike fit to make some adjustments to address these.

Re: my arches, I do not use any kind of orthotic insert. I do, however, use a metatarsal pad under my left sole to lift the arch across the metatarsals (pedorthist recommended); this has relieved the tingling/numbness I was feeling in the 3rd-5th metatarsals (left foot), both in my running and bike shoes. I've started to experience similar tingling/numbness (same area) in my right foot. Will insert a met pad to (hopefully) address this.  I'm currently running in Topo Athletic road running shoes (wider toe box) and Hoka Cliftons. Would you recommend a particular stability shoe?

~LA

• Options

I’m not department about the shoe as I am about support for your party. I am no expert, but I believe that the discomfort in her metatarsals is a function of the fact that your arch needs more support. Not that the art support is in until lifted up but that without the support, your forefoot is moving more than it would otherwise.

Have you considered something like this product? It has padding across the foot and would replace the generic in the soul that came with your shoes. For example, the Clifton’s insert is practically useless. I would recommending get a set of these, replace the insert that’s in your Clifton now and then try it both with and without the metatarsal pads.

Note You might need to walk around in the shoes with the new inserts for a few days just to get used to it first.

• Options

@Lee Ann O'Regan Good luck this weekend! I look forward to hearing all about it.

• Options
    edited September 8, 2019 10:51PM

How did it go? Your heart rate data for the bike and run look good.

• Options

@Lee Ann O'Regan

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!). 

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness: 
    • Bike Fitness:
    • Run Fitness:
    • Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support? 
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out. 

You have several options: 

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options

You guys totally made Coach Patrick's weekly update video on the dashboard!

http://members.endurancenation.us/Community/DashboardDemo.aspx

• Options

@Brenda Ross

• Swim Fitness: 1.5-2
    • Bike Fitness: 2-2.5
    • Run Fitness: 2.5
    • Weight / Body Composition: 2-2.5

• Biggest Improvement So Far? Being able to execute to run a 2hr half at the end of a 70.3.
    • Need Additional Support? More efficient swim, stronger bike (feel stronger on the flats, but get passed on the hills), and hydration/nutrition.
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend? Yes! Have done so already :)

• Options

@matt limbert

You know how you think back on a race and there’s usually one or two things that stand out. This race I think about how much I had to pee. I mean, like drinking at the bar all night. 

I knew after my last race I needed to focus on better hydration — mission accomplished 😆. I mean, oh God, I had to pee so much. Before and throughout the swim, repeatedly the latter half of the bike, and at beginning of the run. I am now a seasoned triathlete in that sense. Big ✔️ next to that item.

Heart rate was good throughout with the cooler temps.

PBd on the 70.3 bike/run, but didn’t hit my super secret goals - sub 3:30 bike (3:32) and sub 2 run (2:02). SO. CLOSE.

Felt great throughout 😊

• Options

Your one thing that stands out.... Peeing. LOL. Well done. So close to the super secret goals. Gotta love super secret goals.... That is so awesome that you felt great. Got a PB. Coming off of IM. It's great to hear.

You guys made totally made a shout out in Coach Patrick's weekly summary video for Monday - check it out on the dashboard

Did you guys schedule your call with Patrick to talk ultra stuff? When is it?

• Options

@Lee Ann O'Regan Ok, great call the other day...when you get a chance, I would like to see your cleats (a picture of the bottom of your cycling shoes).

Per our conversation, I have made some changes to the ultra plan for the next few weeks. Midweek cycling ride with some big gear work, and then "warm up" riding on the weekends. I am not sure how you will both juggle the time, so feel free to let me know now you want to do it (or give me some more details). 

The key piece is week of 9/30 where you will peak out with volume on the weekend with two big back to back run / walk / hike efforts…so plan ahead. While you won’t be maxing out the volume, you can both help your cause by walking everywhere and doing lots of standing. Feel free to take the kiddos for a long hike, etc, as well…any "feet time" is a bonus here. \

And let’s not forget about the learning component. You can both take advantage of our forums, using the search bar to find anything about "ultra" or "ultra running" or "100k" for example. But we also have our ultrarunning page which should provide some additional details for you: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/UltraRunning.aspx 

Once you have brushed up, you should post some initial thoughts / outline of a plan to the General Discussion forum and tag is as "ultra" "ultrarunning" and "100k" so that you get input from the Team!

Please keep me posted!

~ Coach P

• Options

Lee Ann, How you feeling? It must be pretty good - you have started your transition to "ultra woman." Double lllloooonggg run this weekend - nice work. Pro tip - use your rest day to check out some of those ultra running links Coach Patrick posted.

• Options

@matt limbert Posting my workout comment here as well as I see checked in before I had a chance to post :).

Felt fatigued going into this run - soreness in the legs (not pain). Ran 1h15 out and back on the TransCanada Trail (TCT) - found my groove a couple of kms in. Around 7-10km in noticed some tingling ~ the 3rd metatarsal (right foot) - stabbing pain bottom of 3rd metatarsal pad. Stopped at the turnaround to take my shoe off and stretch my toes out. Felt pretty good through to the end, though the numbness would come and go (no stabbing pain though). I have mentioned this to Coach P in the context of the bike (similar tingling/numbness discomfort requiring me to stop). Happens with both the L and R foot. No "pattern" to it, that I've noticed. Can be one foot or the other, or both. From time to time, I experience lingering tingling or numbness that follows post run/ride, and eventually subsides.

• Options

That pain sounds totally debilitating! Are you saying that stretching the toes provides relief? Wondering if you can sleep with a toe spreader if that will help? Let me know what you think.

• Options

@Lee Ann O'Regan You are right on track. Lots of runs where you are feeling good (except for the blisters 😉). Have you tried stretches and mobility work like this for your foot? I'm not saying that this is your aliment - but she does demonstrate a variety of foot and ankle mobility that might help.

• Options

@matt limbert that looks great. Thanks for finding that!

• Options

@Lee Ann O'Regan

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/nfahr9cl1b

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal this month is to help you be race ready for your next big event and make sure your connected with your teammates!

First OFF, be sure to check out Coach Patrick’s video online here

Step One: Master the Four Keys

Head over to watch our main Four Keys video on the Race Central page.  While the Four Keys was originally created for triathlon, the lessons extend to all endurance sports (and beyond)!

Step Two: Research Your Race

Leverage your teammates To make sure your race is the best it can be.

• First, head over to the EN Forums and use the search functionality to see if there are race reports or other information in our system. 
    • Second, ask the Team what they know by creating a research thread in the Races & Places Forum or by posting to the GroupMe 24/7 channel.
    • When you are ready, go ahead and post your Race Plan to the Racing Forums as well 

Step Three: Connect with Fellow Racers

• Depending on the size of your race, you might have a GroupMe channel that you can find under the Community section here.
    • If there isn’t one, you can still head over to the Race Database and use the password WORKWORKS. From there you type the race name into the search box To get someone’s name. Return to the EN Forums and send them a private message!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations on moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Mont-Tremblant (2020-06-21) #70.3Tremblant_20
    • Ironman Mont Tremblant (2020-08-23) #IMMT_20   
    • 10/31/2020 (100M Ultra) Javelina Jundred

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on November 12, 2019
    • On 11/11/2019 Load the -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 2/16/2020
    • On 2/17/2020 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 3/1/2020
    • On 3/16/2020 Load the -- Run Focus Block to end on 4/26/2020
    • On 4/27/2020 Load the EN Half Bike Focused to end on 6/21/2020
    • On 6/22/2020 Load the -- EN Full Bike Focused to end on 8/23/2020
    • On 8/24/2020 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/6/2020
    • On 8/31/2020 Load the -- UltraRun Plan (16 wks) to end on 10/31/2020
    • On 11/1/2020 Load the -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 11/14/2020

Your Notes

2019 was an action packed year:

Banff-Jasper Relay (early June) - 19km (1h42) first place all female team

70.3 Mont Tremblant (late June) - 6:20:38 (43m/3h17/2h05)

140.6 IMLP (July) - 15:03:34 * GI stomach cramping issues late on the bike and into the run

70.3 Lake Placid (September) - 7:09:10 (43m/3h46/2h09)

Fall Colours Marathon (October) - ran to support a friend running her first 42km (4h41)

9 Run Run Half Marathon (October) - 1h49m

Javelina Jundred 100K (October) - ran to complete (15h07)

Just off a two week hiatus following Javelina. Body feels great! Looking forward to getting back at it!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P