Homeβ€Ί Coaching Forum 🧒
Options

Keith Shireman Micro Thread

@Coach Patrick just a heads up that I am taking Aug/Sept off to heal up from injury. I have had 3 DNS races this year and I've finally figured out the problem. Hopefully I can heal up soon so I can be prepared for the Outseason and start preparation for Ironman Tulsa. It's been an up and down year but it is what it is. I have goals in mind for this Outseason and beyond for next season.

Comments

• Options

@Keith Shireman thanks for the heads up. I know it’s been a tough year, and I hope that the rest does the trick so we can build to a great next season! πŸ‘

• Options

Yes sir! Working on it!

• Options

@Coach Patrick with the postponement of IM Tulsa, I am changing my plan to a 70.3 bike focus till the race is rescheduled. This next week is a 'dead week' of sorts since the next plan doesn't start for another week. So no structure in training just 'going with the flow' for now. I'm gutted but understand with the current situation the world is in now. The plan is set for Lubbock 70.3 which I have done before but could also switch over to Muncie 70.3 which I have also done before. Just something to keep my fitness and keep me busy. Just need to get back in the pool/lake sometime soon......

• Options

@Keith Shireman - thanks for the update. These are extreme times, which call for extreme measures. As challenging as it is to cancel an event, I know that Iron Man is very cognizant of the liabilities associated with running an event in the time of a pandemic. This is a great opportunity to focus inwards and all the things we can control, including upgrading our training equipment if possible.

I think your choice of events is great, and the time we have between now and race day should give you some flexibility to move things around as needed. I know that Ironman is encouraging people to transfer whenever possible so that may become more viable (or not!) Depending on what the next two weeks bring.

What did you do for the Iron Man to? Did you pick Coeur D'Alene?

• Options

@Coach Patrick I went ahead and deferred my IM Tulsa race to 2021. I started a 70.3 program just to keep my fitness for now. I also went ahead and signed up for the IM VR series starting this weekend. My question at this point is where do I go from here? Since I got laid off last Friday I can't see my self signing up for anything until work gets going again and we all return to some type of normalcy. For now it's just a 'wait and see' mode, stay positive and stay motivated. I look forward to hearing Mike Reilly call me across the finish line again!

• Options

@Keith Shireman You and me both. I am really looking forward to something "normal" if that's what the before time actually was. 🀣

We don't want to be that different than how we would be in a regular season. So we can build up to a race, like a half, in the Late May / Early June. But that would be a peak and then we would have to recover.

If you can give me a schedule of the "races" you want to do, I can build. If not, we can work on a "stay fit" plan that you can follow, and rest when ready. If you have events you could "add" them as real events via the roadmap: http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TriathlonSeasonRoadmap.aspxΒ 

How does that sound?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick I don't have any races scheduled just yet. I'm waiting to get back to work first and then see where we can go from there. I'm currently working on a 'staying fit' program for now like preparing for IM Lubbock 70.3 or possibly Muncie 70.3. It really depends on when this country can get back to 'normal'. If football season is still a go for this fall then I will be busy with that. I did participate in the IMVR2 this past weekend and doing the IMVR#3 this coming weekend. Sprints and Olympic distance are pretty easy to do. We'll jus keep on keeping on until we have the final answers. I will be in touch. Thank you!!

• Options

Perfect. For a consistent "weekend" racing schedule, you have a few options.

Short Course:

1. You can use the Get Faster Plan do train midweek and replace weekends with races.
    2. You can use the Short Course Plan, last 6 weeks, to be a guide between the weekend races.

Long Course:

1. These take more time, so we have to be careful with work and recovery. You'd need more than a week to prep, but I would use the HALF plan (you can choose Bike / Run or Balance focused) to get ready. These are 12 weeks plans, so weeks 4 to 10 would be challenging enough, and then just skip to the last week to taper!

We are here so keep the questions coming!

~ Coach P