Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Rich Stanbaugh - Traverse City 70.3 Race Plan

edited August 21, 2019 3:10AM in Racing Forum 🏎

TC-70.3 will be my first triathlon since 2017. I was on the bench all of 2017 with two ankle surgeries (one failed – one succeeded). Running was not working out in 2017, so I spent a lot of time on the bike. My last surgery was a couple days before Thanksgiving; rehab biking began in December. 

In February, with no idea what would be possible, I wrote a season plan to hopefully get to IM Louisville (and compete) in October with TC-70.3 on the path. TC was either going to be an A-race, if I could not get to Louisville, or a B-race If I could. I started building. In March. TC is my B race.

Goals: Enjoy the race, execute, learn something for Louisville, Don’t Peak!

Build has been pretty consistent, CTL peaking at 129 (65 Bike, 53 Run, 12 Swim) last week. I had not planned to taper for TC-70.3, but I am honestly tired and decided to take a recovery week before transitioning into the final Louisville build.

The first part of the year was focused on bike intensity / speed and Vasa. I wasn’t able to start running until March and weekly volume did not eclipse 20 mi until May. After 90 sessions, I concluded PT in May. Bike volume began at BRC & Camp Al. Run Intensity started in June and, after achieving bike FTP target. In July, I transitioned to run focus and started open-water swimming (everything else has been on the Vasa). Weekly TSS has averaged just about 950 from roughly 6-8,000m swimming, 160-180 mi biking and 30-35 mi running since early July. 

Friday

• Register
  • Charge all batteries (watch / bike computer / Di2)
  • Bike Check Ride
  • Athlete Briefing
  • Scout swim start / exit / transition
  • Hydrate
  • Carbo loading

Saturday

• Big breakfast
  • Bike drop off
  • Walk/visualize transition again
  • Hydrate
  • Organize gear for transition / morning
  • Set Alarms
    • Wake up: 3:45
    • Transition Open: 5:00

Sunday

• Alarm 3:45
  • Breakfast (below)
  • Get dressed
  • Body marking
  • Setup Transition (everything on bike / run stuff in zip-loc bag on top of shoes)
  • Snack
  • Race!

Swim Plan

• Seed myself around 33-34 minutes
  • Good balance / high-elbow catches / Just like the Vasa
  • Keep the turnover fast
  • Find feet
  • Straight to targets 
  • Just stay balanced and get it done.

Bike Plan

• ≈3k ft gain w/ 3 climbs: 1.1 mi, 28 mi & 50 mi
  • Press the first two climbs (under FTP), spin the third
  • Target 225 w, VI ≈ 1.04, TSS ≥ 150; BBS Targets
  • After second climb, decide whether to press or maintain
  • I’ve ridden this course 2x – harder than it looks on paper

Run Plan

• Banana in transition
  • Shoes & socks on, everything else in zip-loc bag
  • Begin run at 225-230 w & wait on HR to settle / cadence to rise ≈172
  • Ramp to 250 w; decide at turnaround to maintain / press to 260
  • Gel at 2 mi & 4 mi

Bottom line - I feel lucky to be here & plan to have fun.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Rich Stanbaugh Even though this will be a tune-up for Second Sunday in October IM, there is every reason to plan for and execute a real RACE. Which means:

• Push the swim to the limit of your form

• Take full advantage of your bike strength; if you are well trained (and you are), you will still have the fitness to deliver a solid run

• Have every intent to run fast, except only that you do not need (or want) to turn on the after-jets the last 3 miles, just keep the pace going steady at that point. But do not be a slacker on the run.

I think you will discover that racing a triathlon is harder than you remember; be prepared for hours 3-5 to test your will. Then take that success forward to Louisville.

• Options

@Rich Stanbaugh Welcome back to the racing. x2 on @Al Truscott bullet points of execution. I specially like his last paragraph tip towards a strong mental game preparation for the last 2hrs. DON'T forget to practice and plan your Transitions with the same amount of energy that went into the SBRN parts of your plan. Those are free and if done smooth add to your mojo for the BR portions. Now, Go get that IMLOU confidence by executing good skill through this race my friend :-)

• Options

@Rich Stanbaugh Any use of heart rate, along with RPE and power to dial-in and manage the effort across the day?

• Options

Thanks for the feedback!

@Al Truscott - I expect you are right, it will be harder than I remember!

@tim cronk - Haven't done a 70.3 for years, so the transitions are well outside what I am used to (where are my bags!). T1 is super long here, over 1,000 feet from the water, and my bike is about as far from the Bike in/out as is possible. AWA is a HUGE advantage here. It is what it is. Also, race start in the low 50s - so I am considering putting shirt on after swim rather than staring completely wet. T1 will take longer than I am used to because of the distances - just need to get on the bike safely and get to work.

@matt limbert - yes, absolutely on heart rate. Besides being my back up if power is gone, it should come up to 155 - 160. I will let it climb to upper 160s on the first climb, then try to manage the rollers while dialing HR back under 160. Second climb... we'll see. Either the same, or a little less. Last climb, I will try to manage away any spikes while spinning up the hill. And, HR dropping is nearly always a sign I need more calories.